Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #7681
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Sadly in a way that is true. If I ever sell my bike I will have to include a detailed list in case they need to buy parts for it.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #7682
ret1614
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
Sadly in a way that is true. If I ever sell my bike I will have to include a detailed list in case they need to buy parts for it.
For true.
But, whoever gets it will be all sorts of happy to have the modifications.
Those inverted forks might make a neat build thread... If you have the pictures.
ret1614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #7683
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Nobody lists cartridge emulators for the XL600R anymore. Sooo... I went with what is listed for the 84-85 XL350R which has Showa 39mm forks as well. Hopefully not a mistake in the match.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #7684
davek181
Studly Adventurer

I used to keep all of the original parts in case I ever wanted to make it original again but after each mod I had to admit there was no way I ever wanted to go back.

I do have some pictures and could do a bit of a build thread if there is interest. It really was pretty straightforward in this case since the CR triple pretty much interchanged with only a set of conversion bearings.

The hardest part of all, at least for me was to mate the original gauges to the CR upper clamp. I thought long and hard about it before I had a revelation and figured it out.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #7685
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
Nobody lists cartridge emulators for the XL600R anymore. Sooo... I went with what is listed for the 84-85 XL350R which has Showa 39mm forks as well. Hopefully not a mistake in the match.

You'll soon find out...

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #7686
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
You'll soon find out...
Those emulators are stupid simple. It just sits on top of the damper rod and forces the oil through a spring loaded pop off valve. As long as it isnt too big or too small it will work perfect.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #7687
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
Let me know if they work, i need better front suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #7688
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
The hardest part of all, at least for me was to mate the original gauges to the CR upper clamp. I thought long and hard about it before I had a revelation and figured it out.
That's what I'd like to see some pictures of.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #7689
ret1614
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
So, I suppose I owe the thread a picture of my bike, with all this posting I've been doing. Mine is in the foreground, with my dad's parked behind. Both are 1985s, mine's red because the PO liked it better... Dad got his first, and let me borrow it for a week. So, of course I had to have one, despite the extended "cranking period" his suffered (I'd forget how long I'd been kicking just as soon as I got the secondary cracked). I've now put more than 15,000 miles on the bike, crashed it once, and found myself in more strange far-away places than I can even remember, usually starting with picking a direction and going.
3 burnt pantlegs, 3 sets of tires, and a couple hundred gallons of gas later, I'm still a devout fan of this old monster.

ret1614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #7690
davek181
Studly Adventurer

USD fork conversion

There has been some interest in my USD fork swap so I will try to answer a couple of questions and bore you with pictures of it. I didn't really plan on a build thread so I only have a few random pictures.

First of all the parts. I am an admitted eBay junkie and that is where most of them came from. I have watched and still do watch for things that interest me at a good price. I have made several buys over the years that way. Good examples of that are the XR rear shock and swingarm I put on my XL. I saw them online and put in the minimum bid of $.99 just to keep them in my bidding cart for observation. Well apparently everyone else was asleep, me too I guess because next thing I know about it I get an e-mail from eBay saying I have won the auction. I paid the princely sum or $.99 for each of them, plus freight. There are others too, like the USD forks I have installed I also found online for $25.00. Good price I agree, but I did have to pull them apart and inspect them and buy seals and oil and stem conversion bearings, etc. The front wheel was another special buy as was the speedo drive and so on. I ended up with a bunch of random pieces and somehow made them all fit together.

The forks proved to be a better buy than I first imagined due to the fact that the steering stem was quite close in length to the original forks and all that was needed to make it fit was conversion bearings from All-Balls. '94 CR125 is the vintage. Of course the internet abounds with stories of how these are the worst USD forks ever invented, what was Honda thinking and so on. Leave it to the internet to throw a damper on my ambition. I figured though that they would fit pretty easily and if I didn't like them I could sell the whole shebang online, someone else would love them if I didn't.

By far the part that took the most thinking and seemed to be the hardest obstacle was mating the original speedo and headlight assembly to the CR upper tree. I remembered the troubles I had with that when I installed XR 400 forks on my bike in the past and wasn't relishing a repeat of that. I had made a special plate in that instance that bolted to the upper clamp and held the speedo and light assembly and also the ignition switch in their original locations, the steering lock even worked which was important to me then. I could have adapted that ready made plate to the CR upper but the part I didn't like about it was that it pretty well covered the area ahead of the bars and made cable and wire routing a real hassle. I could have taken the easy way out and mounted an electric speedo and universal headlight but I like speedo needles and a real h-4 headlight.

I originally thought that I could have a couple of ears welded onto the upper clamp to emulate the original XL upper but my local welder didn't think there was enough room to do it right. So I spent much time thinking and designing in my head adapters to bolt onto the upper clamp pinch bolts. I wandered through hardware stores looking for good raw materials and finally discovered something I thought I could use.

I found an object that had the shape I was looking for to simulate the original mounting tabs. It is actually a chain link mender or joiner that you string through the chain and bend the straight piece through the eyelet and maybe then weld it fast or something like that. The eyelet on the end caught my eye though. After straighening, cutting to length and threading it made a mounting ear.
I located and drilled and cut threads in the CR upper triple and screwed in my newly made mounting ears and locknutted into place. Then I mounted my spare gauge assembly on it to see how it worked.
The pictures show my original thoughts on mounting the ignition switch that I was testing, but eventually discarded. I went a simpler route in the end. I am no longer concerned about steering lock function so I merely wandered through the hardware store until I found a steel clamp with a rubber insert that has one mounting hole. Often used to hold wires and cables, I found that it fit nicely around the switch and bolted up to a handy existing bolt hole on the CR triple.

When I put it all together and on the bike I had to do a little custom spacing of the headlight mounting ears to place it properly but all in all it fit quite well for not even being designed for a headlight.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #7691
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,231
Great idea! ^^^
Old 05-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #7692
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

I too was thinking of welding up some sort of adapter that would be held in by the upper pinch bolts. Your idea is not something I ever considered, but it's nice and simple, doesn't require much fab work, and looks fresh to boot. I dig it.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #7693
Fullsteam
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Passenger pegs

So my bike didn't have any passenger pegs when I bought it, and I really have no idea what the setup looks like and there doesn't seem to be much online. If anybody has any half decent pics of the rear pegs or some that they could sell me that would be awesome.
Fullsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #7694
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsteam View Post
So my bike didn't have any passenger pegs when I bought it, and I really have no idea what the setup looks like and there doesn't seem to be much online. If anybody has any half decent pics of the rear pegs or some that they could sell me that would be awesome.
They mount through a hole in the swing arm. You can see them on this swing arm for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Honda-X...b7b014&vxp=mtr
Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #7695
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,206
This should work for my bike right??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Honda-X...be741f&vxp=mtr Mouse here to zoom in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote