Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 05:24 AM   #7891
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Main jet unscrewed, or debris in it? Pull the bowls and look inside. don't have to pull the carbs to get the bowls off necessarily.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #7892
dgman1991
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
the engine turns over just fine, I suspect gas. I will check the bowls, thanks.
dgman1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #7893
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgman1991 View Post
Hey guys, I got a 1984 XL600R three weeks ago. Today, I decided to take it out and terrorize the local countryside. I was riding mostly in third gear. I came around a corner after dropping into first, and when I opened the throttle to exit, the bike started bogging down. I then let off the throttle, and tried to limp home as it continued to bog if I opened past 1/4 throttle. it died 1/4 mile later at a light, I then tried kicking it about 40 times, to no avail. I attempted some quick roadside wrenching, getting the seat and tank off, then checking the wires from the stator that I recently replaced. everything checked out, but no matter how much I kicked it wouldn't start. I then pushed it home, about 2 miles , and then started to check the carbs by draining them suspecting something to be potentially sucked through. gas came out clean. I will take them off tomorrow and check, but I have spark and good compression, but no gas. Is there anything else I should check? Thanks in advance

Oh, and it has 25,000 miles, with a new engine put in at some point.

-Dan
Sounds like it needed to be switched to reserve on tbe petcock. Or seized.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #7894
dgman1991
Adventurer

here is the bike

inside of the carburetor, sorry for fuzyness, camera phone at close distance

float bowls, had a little debris inside, I cleaned it out with a brush and compressed air.

jets, and odd plastic doo dad that was on the jets. They are 118's, if that matters.

Update:

So, I have a full tank of gas, gas is freely flowing into the carburetors, and I pulled the bowls as per davek181's suggestion, I cleaned the jets out and the idle circuit, and the choke circuit. I then reassembled just like it came out, hooked everything back up, and kicked it over repeatedly. No go as of yet. I am relatively certain it is not seized, because from my understanding that means that the engine is no longer turning over, which it is. My next guess is to pull the carbs and see if there is any blockage anywhere I didn't get to.

Addendum:

I completely disassembled the carburetors and opened them up for cleaning. I found a good thread on this site for using Pine-Sol for cleaning carburetors. So I bought a gallon, and now have my carburetors sitting in the Pine-Sol in zip loc bags inside a croc pot set to warm.

dgman1991 screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 06:40 PM
Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #7895
dgman1991
Adventurer

Update

So, I decided to remove the carburetors, and good thing I did. The insides were filthy. I carefully removed and partially disassembled them. I then put them in plastic bags, and am in the process of washing them out with Pine-Sol, there is a thread on here http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=Pine . I am currently awaiting the results. I hope that this solves my non starting issue.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #7896
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Well after 7 months and too many dollars the old girl is finally finished.
Picked it up last November for just $900 looking a bit tired with shagged steering head bearings and a rattly top end bearing.

Upside was the electric starter worked, original tubeless rims in good shape, and a super rare Acerbis 20 litre tank fitted.
Engine got a 0.5mm os rebore and a new 11:1 Wiseco piston, Pro X conrod kit, Kibblewhite valves and springs and new valve guides.
Picked up a nearly new Staintune muffler off a VTR1000 that fitted nicely with a little modifying.
New paint on frame, tank and all the plastics, ordered new stickers from Italy and fitted new blue fork boots and grips.

Just got done fitting a Kingchrome plastic case as a topbox as well as an $18 oil cooler from a DR200 Suzuki from ebay.

Off to get it registered tomorrow, then put some miles on it before Friday when Im off for a three day ride with some mates.
Still got to fit a screen of some description to keep the wind off on the weekend ride, and change the oil and filter before I go.
I've had a little issue with an intermittent spark in the last two days.
Checked the CDI today and at first no spark, tap CDI a couple of times with a hammer, and spark. Tap it again and no spark. And so on and so forth.
I remember raeding on this site somewhere about DIY repairs to CDIs so looked it up, its in the XR650L forum, and gave it a go. Removed the back cover from the CDI, cleaned all the sealant out and resoldered all the connections. So far so good. Spark now and seemingly unaffected by tapping the CDI.
Hope it was that easy.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:08 AM   #7897
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Nope, apparently not! Redfitted the CDI and still wont start. Just had a play, and moving the wiring going into the CDI while cranking the starter creates a spark sometimes. Looks like lm going to have a thorough check of the wiring and the connectors.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #7898
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Love getting in new parts...

Hoping to get my master cylinder rebuild kit in by Friday, and looking to tear into 'er this Saturday. Although it looks like it's getting a bit busy... I'm probably picking up a '92 FJ80 tomorrow...
Old 06-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #7899
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Nope, apparently not! Redfitted the CDI and still wont start. Just had a play, and moving the wiring going into the CDI while cranking the starter creates a spark sometimes. Looks like lm going to have a thorough check of the wiring and the connectors.
I went full retard and replaced, the stator, pulse generator and CDI at the same time. My PG was definitely bad though. Low resistance.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #7900
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgman1991 View Post
Hey guys, I got a 1984 XL600R three weeks ago. Today, I decided to take it out and terrorize the local countryside. I was riding mostly in third gear. I came around a corner after dropping into first, and when I opened the throttle to exit, the bike started bogging down. I then let off the throttle, and tried to limp home as it continued to bog if I opened past 1/4 throttle. it died 1/4 mile later at a light, I then tried kicking it about 40 times, to no avail. I attempted some quick roadside wrenching, getting the seat and tank off, then checking the wires from the stator that I recently replaced. everything checked out, but no matter how much I kicked it wouldn't start. I then pushed it home, about 2 miles , and then started to check the carbs by draining them suspecting something to be potentially sucked through. gas came out clean. I will take them off tomorrow and check, but I have spark and good compression, but no gas. Is there anything else I should check? Thanks in advance

Oh, and it has 25,000 miles, with a new engine put in at some point.

-Dan

You said you have good compression, what are the numbers? Better yet leakdown test numbers. Before you spend too much time on carburetors it would be good to confirm engine condition.

We like numbers as much as pictures.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #7901
Dread_lion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Pictures finally got approved! does this always take a few days?
Anyway, still looking for thoughts on what could be the mistery part in the second picture, piston ring maybe? Also, should i worry about the metal in the first picture? It looked worse than it was, wasnt too much metal in there, and no real big parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread_lion View Post
Ok i've encountered a few problems upon engine teardown to replace my own camchain as it was slapping around pretty loud. (my engine is at 39.000km's by the way).

First off is this, should i worry about this? i cant find any serious wear as far as i can see:

secondly, and this is way worse. Behind the clutch cover there is an oil filter, i cleaned it, and found this on the bottom:

does anyone know what this could be from? Looks like parts from a ring. i didnt remove the cilinder yet and do not want to, unless i absolutely need to. I inspected the cilinder head with a camera and everything looked ok as far as we could see.
Opinions, ideas anyone?
Dread_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #7902
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread_lion View Post
Ok i've encountered a few problems upon engine teardown to replace my own camchain as it was slapping around pretty loud. (my engine is at 39.000km's by the way).

First off is this, should i worry about this? i cant find any serious wear as far as i can see:

secondly, and this is way worse. Behind the clutch cover there is an oil filter, i cleaned it, and found this on the bottom:

does anyone know what this could be from? Looks like parts from a ring. i didnt remove the cilinder yet and do not want to, unless i absolutely need to. I inspected the cilinder head with a camera and everything looked ok as far as we could see.
Opinions, ideas anyone?

Is that brass? looks like it from the color. Piston rings would be silver in color. I am afraid that part looks like it could be the thrust washer between the crankshaft and the big end of the rod, or even the cage around that bearing.

I can't think of anything else that color in the engine sadly.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #7903
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,826
Thrust washer

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #7904
Argus16
Fake n00b

Oddometer: 419
Bottom of page 68 there is some discussion of thrust washers...
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #7905
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 349
@ DGman 1991

What i can see from your (much to large ) Carburator Pics is:

The Primary Slide it wide open if that Pic was made in Idle ajustment
turn the Idle screw down .
The Float Bowls lock like from the PD 61A Carbs and the Bodys look like its the California Model Carb . Not sure the Bowls are the correct one for that Carbs .
If it is the California Model Carb with all the external emision control crap you need to make sure that everything is correkt conected .

Idle Air takes a differnt route on this Carbs .
Important to start the Bike .

Hope you dont mix Parts from Prim. and Sec. Carb in your ziplock bag .
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote