Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #7921
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,826
Having some and then none or low compression kinda sounds like a valve seat is getting to take an exit.

Pull the head and drive it down to Petaluma.

http://www.enginedynamics.com/

Tell Mike I sent ya.

I have parts of three engines there right now.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #7922
m2h
"Old guys rule"

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
There is no easy way, If I remember correctly you stack the tranny and shift spindle and everything in the left case, then drop the right case on. I can just envision disaster trying to keep it all together in the right sidecase, opposed to the small amount of time it would take to just strip the right side down and do it as designed.
Just to play the devils advocate I assembled mine the other way round. Put the crank into the left case and slipped the two halves together without too much hassle. I replaced seals and bearings in the transmission and pulled the whole thing out ( three shafts, taped together with electrical tape).
Was not too bad to reassemble.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #7923
dgman1991
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
engine dynamics

Thanks steve. I think I'm going to check the decompression release mechanism a little first and see if there is something to be done, if not. off with its head! then off to engine dynamics.
dgman1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:54 PM   #7924
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
CDI's are no longer available from Honda ( I think I got the last one, the Honda guy said don't ask for another), but I ran a CDI from a '94 XR600 for a while and all seemed good. Same connectors, just plug and play.
Thats interesting. I borrowed a new aftermarket xr600 cdi this afternoon from a local bike shop, plugged it in, hit the starter and immediately blew the 20amp fuse. Tried replacing the fuse and everytime l hit the starter the same thing happened. No idea why. Mine certainly isn't plug and play.
However, the cdi in my bike when l bought it was actually from an NX650 Dominator. Also a couple of the wires to the cdi have been cut and rewired. I wonder if the wiring has been altered to get the Dominator cdi to work?
If as you say XL600RMG cdi's are no longer available lm up shit creek aren't l, though l have seen a new one on ebay in Slovakia! But should l get that or another Dominator cdi like was in it?
Ive got no frigging idea. Im so over old bike electrics!
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:45 AM   #7925
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Thats interesting. I borrowed a new aftermarket xr600 cdi this afternoon from a local bike shop, plugged it in, hit the starter and immediately blew the 20amp fuse. Tried replacing the fuse and everytime l hit the starter the same thing happened. No idea why. Mine certainly isn't plug and play.
However, the cdi in my bike when l bought it was actually from an NX650 Dominator. Also a couple of the wires to the cdi have been cut and rewired. I wonder if the wiring has been altered to get the Dominator cdi to work?
If as you say XL600RMG cdi's are no longer available lm up shit creek aren't l, though l have seen a new one on ebay in Slovakia! But should l get that or another Dominator cdi like was in it?
Mine is a XL600RF 1985 (it doesn't look it )..kick start only.

Maybe it has been fiddled with to get the dommy CDI to work. I would have thought that they should have been nearly identical though. You would have to get a wiring diagram for either the RMG or LMF and trace them through.

1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #7926
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2h View Post
Just to play the devils advocate I assembled mine the other way round. Put the crank into the left case and slipped the two halves together without too much hassle. I replaced seals and bearings in the transmission and pulled the whole thing out ( three shafts, taped together with electrical tape).
Was not too bad to reassemble.

Did you mean right case? I was commenting about stacking everything into the left case too.

I suppose it could be done either way, but when I had mine apart I decided on left case filling for a couple of reasons. Seemed like the balancer timing and the shift spindle were the awkward parts to deal with.

That's what separates man from the monkeys. Monkeys will do the same thing over and over again without questioning, whereas man will try something different just because he can.

Not that I am trying to call anyone a monkey here
Except maybe me since I am anti-deviation from the norm.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #7927
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Lookfar, that makes more sense. For some reason l thought yours was an RMG.
It seems that the electric start motors, (xl600rmg, nx650, xr650l) have a different cdi to the kick start models. The kick start cdi's use AC current while the electric start cdi's use DC current.
Ive got a RMG wiring diagram, just have to find a NX650/XR650L wiring diagram to compare.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 AM   #7928
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
I would have to see a wiring diagram to be sure, but I am thinking the difference might be that kickstart bikes are all stator driven CDI's, and the electric start bikes might have a 12V CDI, like the XR650L.

If that is the case, they might interchange with the 650L which would open up more availability of parts anyway.

Dave
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #7929
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Spot on Dave. My bike was running the NX650 Dominator CDI which l believe is the same as the XR650L CDI. Hopefully wont be too hard to find a NX/XRL CDI.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #7930
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
For any of you guys wondering how to seal your airbox/ carb boots while still on the bike. I figured out a way. Pull the seat and tank. Straighten out a coat hanger and put a glob of sealer on it and just fill in the seam which is facing the shock. Do the easy outer parts with you finger. The permatex non hardening sealer actually does some self leveling into the seam.
This might be a pain but is better than sucking dirt and dust through there.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #7931
m2h
"Old guys rule"

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
Did you mean right case? I was commenting about stacking everything into the left case too.

I suppose it could be done either way, but when I had mine apart I decided on left case filling for a couple of reasons. Seemed like the balancer timing and the shift spindle were the awkward parts to deal with.

That's what separates man from the monkeys. Monkeys will do the same thing over and over again without questioning, whereas man will try something different just because he can.

Not that I am trying to call anyone a monkey here
Except maybe me since I am anti-deviation from the norm.
I stacked the transmission and shift lever into the right case and the crank and balancer into the left side. While I had the crank and balancer in my hands I lined the dots up and turned them over and put a felt tip mark on the back side so I could see the line up as I put them into the left casing.
Never having done one of these before I just put it together.
No manual - No fear!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #7932
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,182
I have been trolling this thread since I became an ADV member. This bike reminds me of all the great times I had on my 84 or 83 XL 600 (cant remember what year model I had)

Post more pics
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #7933
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Pics? I love whoring pics.

Now after all these years.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #7934
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,125
How long have to had the XL?? How many rebuilds?

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #7935
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post
How long have to had the XL?? How many rebuilds?
Since March 1997 bought with 3800 original miles. Sold it in 2011 and bought it back in 2013. Now has 14,800 miles.
1 good refresh in 07 at 7,000 miles and now a pretty thorough rebuild in May.
Bored 1mm over with the Wiseco 11:1. Engine Dynamics head, new cam and two fresh rockers for the exhaust.
The bike runs great and hauls ass. It has 14:40 sprockets so it does road use very well.