Old 06-21-2013, 02:15 AM   #7996
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Cry

Nt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
At last, l finally picked my new CDI today. Decided to move it from under the tank to under the seat to keep it cooler, so had to splice some longer wires into the harness to reach the seat. Hooked it all up, hit the starter and bingo, spark is back.
Going for a nice long ride tomorrow, no matter what!
Why do l say shit like this. I should know by now that its just tempting fate.
Went out this morning and fitted the fuel tank, hooked up the fuel line, hit the starter and ........................wont bloody start!
Sort of fires a few times, then dies. Battery not too good so hooked up the jumper leads to the car, and cranked the motor and get it to run sort of.
Engine backfiring and wont idle. Have to give it a fair bit of throttle to keep it running.
Im running a new XR650L CDI. Could this be the problem?
I was using a NX650 CDI, and l believe they are the same. Is this right? Could a wrong CDI cause this problem?
I dont know how to check the CDI working properly, but if it is what else should l be looking at?
Dont think its a carby problem, but lm not sure.
I just want to go riding
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #7997
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
Alright, XL Experts... I just got the bike running again, and I know these bikes are plagued by the non-pumper carb stumble, but my bike seems to be struggling for fuel. I had the carbs out and completely rebuilt them a couple years ago, but the bike sat since.

I know this bike isn't going to come close to my KTM 690, but I do remember it being quite powerful. It's got the stock jetting and I'm at around 600 ft elevation, what would be a suggested starting point on jetting?

This is a California bike... do I need to service the evap system?

Should I run any carb cleaner through the system? Seafoam perhaps?

I have heard about bending the tang back on the carb linkage to delay the secondary cutting in, and I'm about to try that first...

Any other ideas?
Might have sat too long and the carbs are slightly plugged from it. Was it running fine before you parked it? If it was running great then that almost clinches it. You could try seafoam, but I doubt that will help. I have only had positive results with a good manual cleaning. You stated the bike has sat since, did you have it running since the carb rebuild?

I would try a new spark plug first just for kicks though, at least as a baseline. I have fought suspected carb problems in the past and come to find the spark plug was the main culprit. If one gets fouled for any reason, no amount of cleaning or gapping or anything short of replacement will fix it.

My XL was running a little lethargic at one point, and it doesn't sit much maybe just a month or so in the winter, and I pulled the carbs and jets and sprayed and blew all passages and it made a world of difference in running.

They did not look or act dirty but the results were noticeable, it ran like I remembered it could.

There is no servicing needed on the Evap system. If it is suspect at all, you can unhook the purge line for testing and eliminate it from the equation, so to speak. If the canister were to get saturated for any reason it can draw fuel through the purge line.

I too have the secondary carb coming in quicker, I get better throttle response that way for sure, but it has to be jetted very close. I think Honda put in the throttle delay to mask problems from less than ideal jetting and altitude and temp changes. Very smart of them. My bike runs very well set up like it is but I have to alter the jetting for temps and altitude to keep it that way. Really not all that hard to do, just change the mains from summer to winter mainly.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #7998
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Nt

Why do l say shit like this. I should know by now that its just tempting fate.
Went out this morning and fitted the fuel tank, hooked up the fuel line, hit the starter and ........................wont bloody start!
Sort of fires a few times, then dies. Battery not too good so hooked up the jumper leads to the car, and cranked the motor and get it to run sort of.
Engine backfiring and wont idle. Have to give it a fair bit of throttle to keep it running.
Im running a new XR650L CDI. Could this be the problem?
I was using a NX650 CDI, and l believe they are the same. Is this right? Could a wrong CDI cause this problem?
I dont know how to check the CDI working properly, but if it is what else should l be looking at?
Dont think its a carby problem, but lm not sure.
I just want to go riding
I think a wrong CDI just wouldn't work at all. The 650L is similar enough that advance curves and timing would be pretty close if not the same I would think.

Not idling and fair amount of throttle needed tells me the slow circuit is not functioning. Possible plugged slow jet? Is the fuel fresh, or has it sat a few months?

Sometimes you can cheat a little and try to blow the slow circuit clean without pulling the carbs. Drain the bowl, pull out the mixture screw and spray cleaner in the mixture screw hole and follow with a blast of compressed air. Put it back together with the mixture screw set again about where it was, make sure the fuel is fresh and the spark plug is a known good one and try to restart it.

If that works, I would then pop off the float bowl and give it a thorough cleaning anyway to get rid of the obstruction once and for all. I use that shortcut mainly for diagnostic purposes. The first rule of diagnostics is to do one thing at a time, and only one thing, then check results and move on if needed depending upon results.

You can check the spark timing too if suspect with a timing light. Kinda hard to see the marks and you will need to have one with advance built in to see it while running anywhere above idle. Anyway the spark timing should be steady and the marks not jumping around randomly. If it is jumping, the CDI still could be just fine and the pulse coil could have a problem, garbage in, garbage out as they say.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #7999
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
Might have sat too long and the carbs are slightly plugged from it. Was it running fine before you parked it? If it was running great then that almost clinches it. You could try seafoam, but I doubt that will help. I have only had positive results with a good manual cleaning. You stated the bike has sat since, did you have it running since the carb rebuild?

I would try a new spark plug first just for kicks though, at least as a baseline. I have fought suspected carb problems in the past and come to find the spark plug was the main culprit. If one gets fouled for any reason, no amount of cleaning or gapping or anything short of replacement will fix it.

My XL was running a little lethargic at one point, and it doesn't sit much maybe just a month or so in the winter, and I pulled the carbs and jets and sprayed and blew all passages and it made a world of difference in running.

They did not look or act dirty but the results were noticeable, it ran like I remembered it could.

There is no servicing needed on the Evap system. If it is suspect at all, you can unhook the purge line for testing and eliminate it from the equation, so to speak. If the canister were to get saturated for any reason it can draw fuel through the purge line.

I too have the secondary carb coming in quicker, I get better throttle response that way for sure, but it has to be jetted very close. I think Honda put in the throttle delay to mask problems from less than ideal jetting and altitude and temp changes. Very smart of them. My bike runs very well set up like it is but I have to alter the jetting for temps and altitude to keep it that way. Really not all that hard to do, just change the mains from summer to winter mainly.
Thanks for the great response. I just threw in a new plug along with new Stator, CDI, Coil, and Boot... That's what got it running recently. It wasn't running when I rebuilt the carbs, so I'm sure that gas is just sitting in there, clogging up all the passages... It just starts so easily now, I didn't think that would be much of an issue.

The bike hasn't ran since the late 90's...

I'm going to go up a size on jets like mcma111 suggested and when I do that, I'll be sure to give the pilot, slides, and needles a good cleaning.

I know the vacuum lines are all probably worse for wear, although I haven't spotted any cracks. What is the size needed for all the vacuum lines?

I've got a new air filter on order too... I was getting some nasty decel popping last night while riding around the block. I think the mid pipe gasket is fried, so I'll be placing another order for Honda parts soon...

Aaron from Texas screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 07:28 AM
Aaron from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #8000
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
Thanks. Should I mess with the clips at all? Everything is currently in the stock setup except for the pilot screw...
Make sure the jets are clean and the main jet emulsion tubes are clean. Grit gets caugh behind them and stops up those tiny airation holes.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #8001
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Vacuum lines are 3mm ID. Honda used such good quality ones to begin with so often you can just shorten them a little with very good results. They normally start cracking on the ends so a circumcision usually cures most woes.

Parts house lines are usually wrong (american) sizes and much poorer quality. I get my fuel and vacuum hoses from Honda direct., they can buy it in bulk and cut what you need off the roll.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #8002
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Vacuum lines are 3mm ID. Honda used such good quality ones to begin with so often you can just shorten them a little with very good results. They normally start cracking on the ends so a circumcision usually cures most woes.

Parts house lines are usually wrong (american) sizes and much poorer quality. I get my fuel and vacuum hoses from Honda direct., they can buy it in bulk and cut what you need off the roll.
Cool. I was gonna get mine from the local Honda dealership anyway, I've already gotta pick up an air filter I've got on order from them...
Old 06-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #8003
davek181
Studly Adventurer

If your lines have the original little spring clips on them, reuse them. They were made to stop the cracking on the ends, not for retention so don't substitute with standard hose clamps or anything like that, better to have nothing in that case.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #8004
meijer's trails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2h View Post
I haven't put my seat on permanently yet and did a measure up for you:-

large dia is 25mm, small dia is 10mm, length of small dia is 16mm
bore size 7mm
Hope that's clear?
My bike is an '86 so it should be the same
Cheers
thanks M2!

the replacement parts i mounted were only 14,2 mm long.
and the finish was just plated like a normal hardwarestore bolte.
my original was plated kind of yellowish.

so i used contact cement to put these in so it could flex, but not fall out when you take the seat out.

still looking for the exact length collar crossover
meijer's trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #8005
meijer's trails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
here's my bike

meijer's trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #8006
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Quote:

I was wonder why everything I buy doesnt fit right. Either too small or too big.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #8007
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

I am going to do something dumb. I am going to pull out my great running engine and replace the timing chain with a new one and retorque the headbolts.
Sick I know but if there is more power in there, I want it.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #8008
IamsaparoS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Hi,Everyone.
Where? I can find new C.D.I ignition for Honda XL600LM (PD04)
OEM number: 30410-MK5-003
Please help me.
Thanks
IamsaparoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #8009
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
I am going to do something dumb. I am going to pull out my great running engine and replace the timing chain with a new one and retorque the headbolts.
Sick I know but if there is more power in there, I want it.
Hey man, if it ain't broke, fix it til' it is.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #8010
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,261
Wooohoo!! One of my friend's dad has an old school valve seat machine!! He says he can do them for a small fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote