Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #8011
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
I am going to do something dumb. I am going to pull out my great running engine and replace the timing chain with a new one and retorque the headbolts.
Sick I know but if there is more power in there, I want it.
I wouldn't argue the cam chain if it is stretched, but I wouldn't touch the headbolts unless you are going to pull the head. If the headgasket is not blown, head torque will not matter as far as horsepower goes. If you pull a stud re torquing the head then you will be in for more than you bargained for.

I would just enjoy riding a good running bike till winter comes if it were me.
davek181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #8012
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
Hey man, if it ain't broke, fix it til' it is.
That is a good one. I should get another XL600 beater just to take apart and put together like a puzzle.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #8013
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,123
I don't think the noise was from a valve seat....

photo IMAG0433_zpsb57d7d6c.jpg

Looks like something cam loose and was getting thrashed around by the cam. There's no damage to the cam, and I didn't find anything out of place in the top end The engine was rebuilt once before, so maybe it's prior damage??

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #8014
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
That is a good one. I should get another XL600 beater just to take apart and put together like a puzzle.
I'm only a week after getting my XL600R running again, and I've already got my eye out for another late 80's / early 90's XL/XR... This is addicting.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #8015
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post
I don't think the noise was from a valve seat....

photo IMAG0433_zpsb57d7d6c.jpg

Looks like something cam loose and was getting thrashed around by the cam. There's no damage to the cam, and I didn't find anything out of place in the top end The engine was rebuilt once before, so maybe it's prior damage??
It was most likely a seat. They come loose with heat and then get stuck again when it cools down. After enough time it wallows out the hole and then it falls out.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #8016
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Quote:
It was most likely a seat. They come loose with heat and then get stuck again when it cools down. After enough time it wallows out the hole and then it falls out.
I'm getting new seats, I just noticed some damage earlier yesterday. It doesn't look bad but I'm still concerned.

RIDE RED!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #8017
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamsaparoS View Post
Hi,Everyone.
Where? I can find new C.D.I ignition for Honda XL600LM (PD04)
OEM number: 30410-MK5-003
Please help me.
Thanks
A CDI from a NX650 or XR650L will work. I just fitted a new XR650L CDI to my XL600RMG which has the same motor as the LM, and it works perfectly.

Homerb screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 02:09 AM
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #8018
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
I think a wrong CDI just wouldn't work at all. The 650L is similar enough that advance curves and timing would be pretty close if not the same I would think.

Not idling and fair amount of throttle needed tells me the slow circuit is not functioning. Possible plugged slow jet? Is the fuel fresh, or has it sat a few months?

Sometimes you can cheat a little and try to blow the slow circuit clean without pulling the carbs. Drain the bowl, pull out the mixture screw and spray cleaner in the mixture screw hole and follow with a blast of compressed air. Put it back together with the mixture screw set again about where it was, make sure the fuel is fresh and the spark plug is a known good one and try to restart it.

If that works, I would then pop off the float bowl and give it a thorough cleaning anyway to get rid of the obstruction once and for all. I use that shortcut mainly for diagnostic purposes. The first rule of diagnostics is to do one thing at a time, and only one thing, then check results and move on if needed depending upon results.

You can check the spark timing too if suspect with a timing light. Kinda hard to see the marks and you will need to have one with advance built in to see it while running anywhere above idle. Anyway the spark timing should be steady and the marks not jumping around randomly. If it is jumping, the CDI still could be just fine and the pulse coil could have a problem, garbage in, garbage out as they say.
Davek, you get the prize!
It wasnt the CDI at all, but a fuel problem.
I opened both carby drain screws and had no fuel flowing from the primary carb.
Had a fiddle with carby and got fuel flowing from the drain hose, closed the drain screws, hit the starter and bingo, started well and idling sweetly.
Im pretty sure the primary carb float valve was stuck closed.
Very relieved to know it wasnt the incorrect/faulty/wrongly installed CDI.
For future reference, the XR650L/NX650 CDI works fine in the XL600RMG and XL600LMF.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #8019
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Glad to hear you got it running again.

I recommend that you flush several gallons of gas through the tank and carbs. (might take you all weekend to do it, mine gets 40-45 MPG )

Ride on

Dave
davek181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #8020
IamsaparoS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
A CDI from a NX650 or XR650L will work. I just fitted a new XR650L CDI to my XL600RMG which has the same motor as the LM, and it works perfectly.
Thank you very much Homerb
and more question
What year A CDI for a NX650 or XR650L
What i can used substitutes new Stator for XL600LM and COIL IGNITION
(XL600LM OEM Stator it scarce)

IamsaparoS screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 11:33 AM
IamsaparoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #8021
Dread_lion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
hey homerb! glad to hear you got it running again, and good to know about the CDI!

Iamsaparos, i recently read, that an XL650L engine can take a VF700/VF750 stator, dimensions are the same, except its wider. The reason for using the vf stator, is that is puts out around 300 watts, so no more worries about power ever. you can pick those stators up for cheap, so it might be worth a try. it should fit an XL600rm and XL600lm just fine. If you do try it, please post back with results!

i just installed another engine, after running into serious big end issues. needs lots more work, and its an XL600R engine in my XL600Rm, so i'm going to use my RM stator on the R engine. When i do get my RM engine reworked, i'm planning on putting one of those VF stators in it!
Dread_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #8022
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank you very much Homerb
and more question
What year A CDI for a NX650 or XR650L
What i can used substitutes new Stator for XL600LM and COIL IGNITION
(XL600LM OEM Stator it scarce)
Yoiur welcome.
Im pretty sure the CDI from all years from the NX and XRL are the same.
I cant help with the stator info, though Ive heard very good things about stators from www.rickystator.com
Cheaper than Honda and more reliable l believe. I hadnt heard about the VF700/750 stator fitting before, but lm going to look into it.
Good luck.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #8023
IamsaparoS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Yoiur welcome.
Im pretty sure the CDI from all years from the NX and XRL are the same.
I cant help with the stator info, though Ive heard very good things about stators from www.rickystator.com
Cheaper than Honda and more reliable l believe. I hadnt heard about the VF700/750 stator fitting before, but lm going to look into it.
Good luck.
Thank you man
IamsaparoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #8024
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank you man
Your welcome.

On another note, after 7 months work, two rebores, two conrod kits and too much money, my XL has finally been returned to its natural environment!

It was cold, wet, raining and I had an absolute blast!
I can't believe how much I missed riding in the bush. Never again will I leave myself without a bike, ever.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #8025
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

will a head from an '86 XR600 work with the '83 rocker cover?? I know the auto decompression is weird on my bike compared to later models. I disconnected it to check compression some time ago and never put it back

The old man's machine looked iffy so I backed out.

RIDE RED!