Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #8056
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
Decell pop is leanness or exhaust leakage. There is a decel valve on the primary carb that enrichens the idle circuit on decell. It is a rubber diaphragm and can eventually rot and get a hole in it. Mine did and it did have a pretty good pop on decel. I put in a new one and it didn't completely cure it but it sounds pretty normal now, occasional popping not a steady stream of them.

Pilot jet likely is not the problem, neither is valve adjustment, or timing for that matter. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to check the valves though.

This guy... Of course it's on the inside of the carb.

I'll check mine out, I'm sure it's not in that great of condition. I just ordered all new exhaust gaskets too. I know the midpipe gasket is pretty much fried.

I'm gonna go over the intake boots too, I'm sure they need to be re-sealed to the airbox.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #8057
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I calculated my entire weight I added to the bike with all the wiring, battery, rec reg, and lights I added to the 1996 XR600R and it totaled 4.5lbs. So it isn't much. And by the same token, I did use a cap on the DR when I went all weight crazy on it. It worked OK, but didn't allow the thing I feel needed on dual sports, the ability to have the lights on without the motor running. Some don't need that feature, but like you stated, part of this whole thing is personal preference and needs. I will also add that MOST states insist you are able to run the lights for a determined length of time for a plate.

True it is personal preference more than weight, but I did get tired of buying new batteries every other year or so and dealing with them in general. I don't care if my light stays on after the engine dies either so also not a priority to me. I do like my turn signals on the street though.

I can license my bikes in either Idaho or Washington since I have two addresses I can use. In Washington my XL is legal, no questions asked. I did license my KLX in Idaho initially and I had to go through a very rigorous inspection alright. I had to sign a form that indicated that I had self certified it to be street legal. They did inspect to be sure I signed the form. Legality consists of a brake light, two beam headlight, rear view mirror and horn.

To each his own for sure, and the best bike in the world is one that you will ride.

Ride on

Dave
davek181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #8058
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretchah View Post
So I'll probably try have a look at the lights on thursday...this evening I used another bit of knowledge that I picked up on here and fitted some wider KLR footpegs :)
So thanks to whoever posted this mod...

WOW! those are cool!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #8059
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post

This guy... Of course it's on the inside of the carb.

I'll check mine out, I'm sure it's not in that great of condition. I just ordered all new exhaust gaskets too. I know the midpipe gasket is pretty much fried.

I'm gonna go over the intake boots too, I'm sure they need to be re-sealed to the airbox.

Thanks.
The decel valve is actually on the outside of the carb but it might be just as well inside since you have to pull the carbs and split them apart to get at it.

I can do nearly anything else to my carbs without pulling them. I have evolved techniques to be able to since I detest pulling them off for some reason.

I can change jets, slides, needles, needle jets, etc with them in frame, but not the decel valve..
Old 06-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #8060
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
The decel valve is actually on the outside of the carb but it might be just as well inside since you have to pull the carbs and split them apart to get at it.

I can do nearly anything else to my carbs without pulling them. I have evolved techniques to be able to since I detest pulling them off for some reason.

I can change jets, slides, needles, needle jets, etc with them in frame, but not the decel valve..
Right, I meant "inside" as in "on the inside, between the two"... I hate pulling them too, it's such a pain. Wish I knew this when I had them out last night...
Old 06-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #8061
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretchah View Post
So I'll probably try have a look at the lights on thursday...this evening I used another bit of knowledge that I picked up on here and fitted some wider KLR footpegs :)
So thanks to whoever posted this mod...

Looks good..

I once ordered a set of chinese wide footpegs for my KLX on eBay. They would not fit the KLX, but they did fit the XL. So I wasn't disappointed that they didn't fit the KLX ezxcept that I did still have to find some for it.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #8062
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Cheers guys, the only downside with fitting new parts is it makes the rest of it look even tattier :) still, it's an on going project and i'm prepping it for function rather than style at the mo ;) am looking forward to fitting the lights though :)

Does anyone here know if the xr600 scotts steering stabiliser fits the xl600?
85 Vespa PK135
Stretchah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #8063
Torminator NOR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Xl600r 1983 no spark

Hi guys,
got a xl600r with no spark. Replaced coil, cdi, stator but still nothing. Bike was running great until it suddenly died on day.

Got a voltmeter also but dont know how to use it properly.

Any ideas?
Torminator NOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #8064
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torminator NOR View Post
Hi guys,
got a xl600r with no spark. Replaced coil, cdi, stator but still nothing. Bike was running great until it suddenly died on day.

Got a voltmeter also but dont know how to use it properly.

Any ideas?
Have you got a copy of the workshop manual? If not search this thread as the links on here...or search google for the italian owners club you can print it off or view it from there. Then you'll know the resistance values you're looking for and which wires to test for which part and it's handy to have around :)
If all of the above is okay it may be worth checking out the pulse generator is the right resistance and for loose wires etc...to use the meter to check resistance turn it to ohms and then put the prongs on the correct wires that the manual states. If it doesn't register move it up a setting on the ohms dial and try again.
So no spark at all or weak spark and were there any symptoms bfore it died or all fine?
85 Vespa PK135
Old 06-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #8065
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's the link to the service manual

http://www.hondaxl.it/manuali.htm
85 Vespa PK135
Old 06-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #8066
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
XL600 Adventure!

I've been more of a reader than a poster lately, but here goes...

I just got back last night from a four day camping and riding trip on my XL. I was with 6 other buddies (4 KLRs, 1 BMWR80GS, and 1 BMWF650GS). The XL did great (almost perfect, but not quite... more on that later). We rode dirt roads and mountain passes around Silverton and Ouray, Colorado. The scenery was SPECTACULAR. It's the first real trip I've done on the bike since I built it as an adventure touring bike (see the link in my signature for the build thread) and it was SUPER fun. What a great bike! It was faster than the KLRs and the BMW650.

Here are some pictures....

This first pic just shows the bike as I had it set up for "touring". I carried about a half-gallon extra fuel in two of those MSR fuel bottles, although I never needed it. (I did come close, though. Went onto reserve a few times before finding filling stations. Mine was definitely the smallest fuel tank in the group)

This next pic shows the bike with only the top bag, no Pelican panniers. This is how I had it set up when we were just out riding; we left panniers and stuff back at camp. Also, I fitted the bike with a pair of Heidenau K60 Scout tires before the trip... they were great. In this pic we were at the top of Cinnamon Pass, 12,640 feet.

Like I said, the scenery was really amazing. Next is a view from a lookout on Last Dollar Road, which was probably the most fun road on the whole trip. You can see how I mounted a little GPS on my dash.

And this is a view down the western side of Ophir Pass. It's hard to tell here, but this descent was STEEP. I'm glad we went down this side instead of up.

The trip was really fun, and I definitely got to be a better rider. I only laid the bike down once, and it was a really low-speed drop onto some grass; sort of a fluke.

The bike only had two real problems of any concern.
First off, any time I got up above about 70 MPH (I relied on the GPS to know my speed) there was 30% chance I would get a speed wobble in the front end. Sometimes it would happen, sometimes not. I think it must be related to the weight on the back of the bike, as this is the first time I've experienced it, even though I've taken the bike up to about 90 MPH before. So I guess I will be trying to figure out a steering damper. One of the other guys (on the BMWR80GS) had a nice Scotts damper, but I don't think it would work on the GS because of the oil filler dipstick location. Any suggestions for a damper will be appreciated (I will also search the thread as I am sure this has come up before.)

The next problem is more vexing. Ever since I built the bike (a few of you may remember this) I have been fighting with a "stumbling" issue. What I mean is that in certain circumstances, the bike loses power for a micro-second, and then comes right back. I've been attacking this problem by playing with the jetting, and it has definitely helped, but only up to a point. I live at 7000 feet, and I've finally settled on 60-115-112 here, and have had pretty good success. Just before this trip, knowing I'd be going up to 10 - 12K feet, I installed 60-112-110. This was not too great; I had a lot of stumbling, especially above 12,000 feet. So at camp, on the first night of the trip, I went with 58-110-108. This was pretty good for the next day or so, but soon enough, a little stumbling started to happen again.

The way it happens is very predictable. About 95% of the time, it's like this: I am cruising along at about 20% throttle (doesn't matter how fast I'm going or what gear... throttle position is the key) and then I need to go faster so I roll on the throttle. Boom, it stumbles immediately, then catches power again and speeds up nicely. It does not do this every time I roll open the throttle, maybe only about 20% of the time.

This stumbling pattern stayed very consistent for the rest of the trip, anywhere between 12,000 feet and 5700 feet. No change in behavior. I should note that I know my deceleration diaphragm is in poor condition, and I do get some popping on decel. I wonder if this could be related to the stumbling..?? Otherwise I'm stumped and would appreciate any input.

Oh, and lastly, there WAS that one morning when I started the bike (first or second kick, as usual) and then as soon as it fired up I put the choke ON to let it warm up. I stepped away from the bike and after a few minutes it died. After that I COULD NOT get it started again. I wore myself out, and eventually one of my buddies tried and it started on the first kick for him. That was kinda lame! After that I paid much more attention to monitoring the choke during warm-up, and it never happened again.

So, any input on steering stabilizer or the annoying stumbling problem?

Thanks,
Christian
www.christianristow.com

crobox screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 08:22 PM
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #8067
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Cristian, great pics and ride report.

On the steering shake, you might try moving the fork tubes in the triple clamps. I don't know where they are setting now but you can slide them up and down a little for adjustment. Experiment with that a little and see if there is any change. I would also check the suspension sag values, possibly your springs are now too weak for the extra load.

On the stuttering part, you say at 20% throttle. That might be right where the second carb is just starting to open. You can kinda feel the stepped opening at the throttle grip if you pay close attention. If it is stumbling right at secondary opening you may only have to address the secondary carb jetting or needle settings. I know on my carbs they are touchiest at the meeting point of the two carbs.

You stated in your post that leaning the carbs help a bit. You might try leaning the secondary only and see if it gets better, or worse. Either way it will tell you something.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #8068
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,661
I had that wobble. I changed the front fender to an Acerbis, slid the forks up a half inch and changed the front tire. I also sit further back on the seat going down the highway.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #8069
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
Seems to have always worked fine for me... I've never messed with it or adjusted it, and I don't ever really have an issue finding TDC.

The bike has been kicking over on one kick since I solved the spark issue...
Sorry, I should have been more specific.
Being your bike is a later model, what style is your auto-decomp? Does the kickstart actuate a cable to the right exhaust valve on the right front of your rocker cover?

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #8070
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,661
What rod kits are you guys using when you rebuild your cranks? It looks like Hot Rods and Psychic MX are the only ones available on Ebay. There is a $300 Falicon rod kit at XR's only.