Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #8146
m2h
"Old guys rule"

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobox View Post
Hey there M2H-
I'm sorry to tell you that I never ran this bike WITHOUT an oil cooler, so I can't tell you much about "before vs. after". I can say that the bike never felt hot, even when I was occasionally sitting in construction-site traffic. Sometimes I's reach my hand down behind the oil cooler while riding to see if I could feel hot air behind it, but I never really did (although I was always wearing gloves).
Cheers,
Christian
Thanks Christian. When I get mine set up i'll post and let you know. I purchased a temp. dipstick and am going to run the bike for a while standard and then fab up the cooler brackets etc. so I will be able to compare.
Cheers again

PS Answered Christian's post before I read the rest of the thread Great options on the coolers guys!! Thanks for the replies.

m2h screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 04:48 PM
m2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #8147
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
In my own personal limited experience with my XL, 102.4 Wiseco was noisier than stock when cold, but not too objectionable considering how much better it ran.

Replaced crank with XR, then installed JE 102 piston in a rebored XL jug. Runs absolutely fantastic but it makes more noise than the wiseco ever did. finally quiets up at about 180 degree oil temp.
Dave, when you replaced the crank with the XR600R crank, did the stock XL600R flywheel fit?
I am trying to figure out what I need for the conversion. XR600R crank and piston kit. Bore XL600R jug to fit. Anything else?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #8148
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
Dave, when you replaced the crank with the XR600R crank, did the stock XL600R flywheel fit?
I am trying to figure out what I need for the conversion. XR600R crank and piston kit. Bore XL600R jug to fit. Anything else?
Everything interchanges between them, just have to match the piston to the crank. You can use XR or XL jug as you please. I wanted maximum displacement so I got an XR600 102 mm piston and bored an XL jug. In the end it calculates to 654 cc displacement. It was an 11.5:1 piston or thereabouts, actually measured up less. Something like 10.3:1 or so. I forget exactly, would have to go back through my notes to get exact details, but that is close. Runs fine on premium pump gas. I had the machine shop bore a stock gasket to size while they punched the jug, just clamped it on the top. I did end up using the stock gasket (101mm) after measuring my compression ratio and finding a hair short of what I wanted. I had previously done the same thing on a 102.4 wiseco on the XL crank that broke and it worked well there too.

The XL flywheel fits fine, but I used an XR flywheel because someone (maybe HT?) proposed the theory that Honda used a lightened flywheel on the XR to allow it to rev freer to offset the longer stroke, and also to reduce stress on the crank end due to less weight and momentum. Sounded feasible to me so I grabbed one off eBay to try it. I haven't changed it back because it does seem to rev freer and I haven't missed the extra flywheel effect at all.

I did research and part number comparisions on the crank balancer weight to be sure they were computable to the different stroke. Curiously I found that after following supercedes on parts, the same part number balancer is listed for XR/XL/XRL.

I also did NX gear swaps and XRL primary gears while I was in there.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #8149
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Quote:
Everything interchanges between them, just have to match the piston to the crank. You can use XR or XL jug as you please. I wanted maximum displacement so I got an XR600 102 mm piston and bored an XL jug. In the end it calculates to 654 cc displacement. It was an 11.5:1 piston or thereabouts, actually measured up less. Something like 10.3:1 or so. I forget exactly, would have to go back through my notes to get exact details, but that is close. Runs fine on premium pump gas. I had the machine shop bore a stock gasket to size while they punched the jug, just clamped it on the top. I did end up using the stock gasket (101mm) after measuring my compression ratio and finding a hair short of what I wanted. I had previously done the same thing on a 102.4 wiseco on the XL crank that broke and it worked well there too.

The XL flywheel fits fine, but I used an XR flywheel because someone (maybe HT?) proposed the theory that Honda used a lightened flywheel on the XR to allow it to rev freer to offset the longer stroke, and also to reduce stress on the crank end due to less weight and momentum. Sounded feasible to me so I grabbed one off eBay to try it. I haven't changed it back because it does seem to rev freer and I haven't missed the extra flywheel effect at all.

I did research and part number comparisions on the crank balancer weight to be sure they were computable to the different stroke. Curiously I found that after following supercedes on parts, the same part number balancer is listed for XR/XL/XRL.

I also did NX gear swaps and XRL primary gears while I was in there.
Thanks for the info. How does the XR600 flywheel work with the XL600 ricky stator? Same number of magnets in there?
Old 07-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #8150
davek181
Studly Adventurer

I think they are identical except for weight. Works electrically exactly the same as the XL flywheel. I weighed them side by side on my A/C charging scale, but I forget the weight difference. ( I really need to start writing things down)

davek181 screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 09:10 AM
Old 07-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #8151
Torminator NOR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torminator NOR View Post
Also checked all the wires and connections and no broken wires. I will buy a new pulse generator and see if that works. Kind of frustrating...

Thanx anyway for all help so far and quick response guys!
I have just replaced the pulse gen but still no spark. I am out of options here guys, whats next?

Torminator NOR screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 12:41 PM Reason: Pulse generator, not stator. Already replaced that
Torminator NOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #8152
Torminator NOR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
pulse generator is off a little, they are not too expensive to replace. There isn't much more to the system except the CDI and the wiring.
Replaced the pulse gen but still no spark. How do i check pulse gen voltage?
Torminator NOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #8153
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
Check the voltage of the pulse generator, should be around .7 volt when kicking it over.
Should be able to check it at the pulse generator connection. According to the wiring diagram, power leaves the stator assembly, goes to the CDI unit then to the pulse generator, then to the ignition coil if the pulse generator signals and the CDI is functional.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #8154
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Decell pop is leanness or exhaust leakage. There is a decel valve on the primary carb that enrichens the idle circuit on decell. It is a rubber diaphragm and can eventually rot and get a hole in it. Mine did and it did have a pretty good pop on decel. I put in a new one and it didn't completely cure it but it sounds pretty normal now, occasional popping not a steady stream of them.

Pilot jet likely is not the problem, neither is valve adjustment, or timing for that matter. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to check the valves though.
Did a valve check, and all were right on the money except left intake was a bit loose.

I ordered the diaphragm / air cut off and got an immediate refund. Seems Honda has discontinued this part. Although mine looked fine when i pulled 'em apart a couple years ago, I'd still like to replace it. Any ideas?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #8155
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
Did a valve check, and all were right on the money except left intake was a bit loose.

I ordered the diaphragm / air cut off and got an immediate refund. Seems Honda has discontinued this part. Although mine looked fine when i pulled 'em apart a couple years ago, I'd still like to replace it. Any ideas?

I got my air valve from eBay .
here's one:
Item number:

Says it fits most XR 83 on.
Search for Honda air cutoff on eBay and be prepared to spend some time. There is a lot of listings for all manner of hondas. I think there are just a couple styles of diaphragms but the kits may have different springs.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #8156
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
A local bike wrecker has a really nice set of polished stainless headers for an XR600 for $65.00. I really like the look of them compared to the black painted stock headers I'm using now.
Im just curious whether the slightly smaller internal diameter of these headers,(assuming they are the same size as stock) will have a noticeable effect on the bikes performance?
Not sure of the make these headers are, only identifying marks are "XR600"
stamped into them at the end where they connect to the muffler.
Im thinking Staintune perhaps.

Homerb screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 05:25 AM
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #8157
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
I got my air valve from eBay .
here's one:
Item number:

Says it fits most XR 83 on.
Search for Honda air cutoff on eBay and be prepared to spend some time. There is a lot of listings for all manner of hondas. I think there are just a couple styles of diaphragms but the kits may have different springs.
Dang, thanks man! Ordered. I searched a bit on eBay, but couldn't wade through the results...
Old 07-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #8158
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,660
Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310346524990...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #8159
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
A local bike wrecker has a really nice set of polished stainless headers for an XR600 for $65.00. I really like the look of them compared to the black painted stock headers I'm using now.
Im just curious whether the slightly smaller internal diameter of these headers,(assuming they are the dame size as stock) will have a noticeable effect on the bikes performance?
Not sure of the make these headers are, only identifying marks are "XR600"
stamped into them at the end where they connect to the muffler.
Im thinking Staintune perhaps.
Polished steel would be cool. If they are an aftermarket header, they may be oversized already. Measure the ID and compare. I don't think it would make much difference even if they were a hair smaller, especially since they would make up for it in looks.

Maybe you could get a sticker to put on your bike to add horsepower. Just don't put on a Monster sticker, that reduces horsepower and riding skill and IQ.

davek181 screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 09:46 PM
Old 07-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #8160
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Anybody remember how much spring preload is needed for the kickstarter spring?