Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #8206
Dread_lion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
ok, here's the schematic (thanks to homerb).
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...pse7bc436c.jpg
I hope this is big enough, if not, let me know and i'll mail it to you.
but yeah, i'm guessing my best guess is to make a new harness and try to plug it in the existing wiring. Just need to figure out what i need to make this work. Am i looking at another regulator too?
Dread_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #8207
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
The diagram is too small for me to read colors, and descriptions for the most part, but I cab see that has a lead from the stator to the CDI, unlike the XR650L diagram that I have. It also appears to have 12v leads to the CDI and pulse generator which makes sense. I need a bigger picture and confirmation that the wire colors coming out of the bike match the diagram. A running voltage value on the stator lead going to the CDI would also be helpful.

I thought the ignitor (CDI) was the same as the 650L, but this diagram seems to be a cross between XL and XRL. No problem making it work, I just want to confirm what I am working with first. If you are lucky and they used a 50v AC trigger to the CDI, wiring might be real simple with no fabricated harness needed. I just need to know what is coming out of that wire idling to determine what to do.

Dave
davek181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #8208
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Hi Dave, I can confirm the 600RM CDI is the same as the 650L CDI, cos Im running a 650L CDI in my 600RM, no probs, plug and play.

Also, I have the genuine Honda 600RM workshop manual, and parts fiche. If you need any info from it to help Dread_Lion out, don't hesitate to ask me for it. In fact I'll PM it to you, along with a diagram I found about how to run an XR600R CDI on an XR650L.

Homer
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #8209
davek181
Studly Adventurer

cdi

Thanks homerb for the improved wiring diagram it is much better and answered a couple of questions. Even better yet is the diagram you found on TT detailing the conversion. It is pretty much exactly what I was envisioning. I will take the liberty of republishing it here for all to see. I would actually make a sub-harness that incorporated the wires to the XL CDI and not tag into the original harness at all since it is a temporary fix in this case.

Off the CDI too I would make a another sub-harness that runs to the ignition coil and pulse generator as depicted in the wiring diagram and hook them up. Unplug the originals and let them hang until needed again. Should be pretty easy to do, need one wire from the stator to the CDI and the others feed out of the CDI to the coil and pulse generator. For a kill switch all you would need is a standard kill button that connects the ignition wire to ground to stop ignition.

The original stator has three charge leads out and the XL/XR only two, just hook those two onto two of the three regulator wires, it will work fine just at reduced power which will be fine without an e-starter load.

Mount the parts, lay out the wires to mock it up and it will be surprisingly simple with no hacking of the original harness, in fact no connection to the original except the two charge wires which I would plug in at the original stator connector. I can envision the hardest part will be hooking up to the CDI itself. If a person could get a CDI pigtail off a scrap harness it would be a breeze, otherwise it is doable with individual connectors preferably insulated with heat shrink over the female part that slides onto the terminals to keep them from touching.

any more questions or something I didn't touch on feel free to ask, but it should be fairly easy once you lay it out and get going.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #8210
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Glad l could help. God knows lve had enough help from members here.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #8211
Dread_lion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Hey guys! Wow, that was fast! I was hoping it would be this simple, but since i didnt know what was in those regulators, i wasnt shure.
Anyway, i think i found a scource for a cdi not too far from here, and maybe even part of the wiring of an xl600r, so this might get done real soon.

I appreciate your help guys, this forum really is THE place to be!

About the old motor, its not running anymore i'm afraid, it needs lots of work! This summer i just want to get the bike on the road again, and i'm running out of time!
So thanks a bunch for saving me, again ;). I'll keep you posted on the results!
Dread_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #8212
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Updated my build thread with a few recent pix
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #8213
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobox View Post

The tank was plumbed directly into the main fuel feed to the carbs. It would have been a nice setup, except that......

I finally decided that I NEEDED to take the bike for a test spin with all this new stuff on it, BEFORE hitting the dirt on a 4-day ride. Well, I immediately noticed that the bike was HEAVY, and the steering and handling SUCKED. The front end was extremely squirrely. After about a half-mile on dirt, I failed to negotiate a pretty easy berm transition, and chucked myself right over the bars! It took a LOT of effort to pick the damn thing up again, and even more effort to kick it to life again. I decided then and there that I was going to leave the top box and fuel tank behind. It's doubtful, frankly, that I will ever use the fuel tank, which is a bit of a shame cuz a lot of design and fabrication time went into it. Oh well
]
Now that is pretty cool. Sucks that it impacted handling so bad though! Hey you know how to weld, I got an extra gas tank you can hack up and modify for a few extra gallons, then you can paint it to your scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.

RFVC600R screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 11:52 AM
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #8214
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,196
It's a motorcycle not a pack mule.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #8215
davek181
Studly Adventurer

I have been trying to convince Christian that he needs heavy duty (truck) springs with his upcoming suspension mods.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #8216
TahoeRider
Red Rider

Oddometer: 116
I could use a set of pre-92 XR600 forks and shock if you guys still have any for sale. The suspension on my '83 XL could definitely use some improvement

edit: I forgot I had a couple pics to share. Mostly stock still with the exception of an 18" supermoto-ish front wheel/fender and some minor farkles.

TahoeRider screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 02:35 PM Reason: added pics
TahoeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #8217
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
It's a motorcycle not a pack mule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
I have been trying to convince Christian that he needs heavy duty (truck) springs with his upcoming suspension mods.
HAHA you guys are funny!!

Yeah, Steve... I learned that the hard way!!

RFVCR600.... yeah I've thought about hacking up a tank... not a bad idea. What do you want for it?
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #8218
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeRider View Post
I could use a set of pre-92 XR600 forks and shock if you guys still have any for sale. The suspension on my '83 XL could definitely use some improvement

edit: I forgot I had a couple pics to share. Mostly stock still with the exception of an 18" supermoto-ish front wheel/fender and some minor farkles.

I have a set of forks I just rebuilt with new bushings and seals. The lowers were glass beaded and painted silver with a clear coat by my buddy who works as a body man/painter. No rust on the chrome anywhere. PM me if interested.

Nice XL you have there.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #8219
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, Ive cocked up big time. Yesterday I drowned my XL. By drowned I mean completely submerged it in about 3 feet of water. This was taken just before it went under!

Engine wasn't running when it went under. When I got it out I tried to restart it, but no go. Had to leave it in the bush and walk 5km out, where a mate picked me up and drove me home. Picked the bike up this morning, put it on a trailer and took it home. Oil in the crankcase is milky white so heaps of water got in somehow. Also water in the carbs. Carbs drained, oil drained as well. Some water got into the frame too. Ive poured a couple of litres of diesel into the head and frame and sprayed inox down the plughole.
Drained the diesel after cranking the engine over a couple of dozen times.
I've still got a good spark so the dunking hasn't damaged the electrics it seems.
I plan to repeat the diesel flush at least two more times, before filling with cheap supermarket oil and hopefully starting it. I'll change the oil and filter a couple or three times before I ride it and keep a close eye on the oil colour. Any other tips for resurrecting a drowned engine?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #8220
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Well, Ive cocked up big time. Yesterday I drowned my XL. By drowned I mean completely submerged it in about 3 feet of water. This was taken just before it went under!

Engine wasn't running when it went under. When I got it out I tried to restart it, but no go. Had to leave it in the bush and walk 5km out, where a mate picked me up and drove me home. Picked the bike up this morning, put it on a trailer and took it home. Oil in the crankcase is milky white so heaps of water got in somehow. Also water in the carbs. Carbs drained, oil drained as well. Some water got into the frame too. Ive poured a couple of litres of diesel into the head and frame and sprayed inox down the plughole.
Drained the diesel after cranking the engine over a couple of dozen times.
I've still got a good spark so the dunking hasn't damaged the electrics it seems.
I plan to repeat the diesel flush at least two more times, before filling with cheap supermarket oil and hopefully starting it. I'll change the oil and filter a couple or three times before I ride it and keep a close eye on the oil colour. Any other tips for resurrecting a drowned engine?
OH NO!!!!

Give the electrics a good going over with a water dispersant spray, Inox, Lanotec or similar.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote