Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #8236
sw3dl1
DR Don

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Well, Ive cocked up big time. Yesterday I drowned my XL. By drowned I mean completely submerged it in about 3 feet of water. This was taken just before it went under!

Engine wasn't running when it went under. When I got it out I tried to restart it, but no go. Had to leave it in the bush and walk 5km out, where a mate picked me up and drove me home. Picked the bike up this morning, put it on a trailer and took it home. Oil in the crankcase is milky white so heaps of water got in somehow. Also water in the carbs. Carbs drained, oil drained as well. Some water got into the frame too. Ive poured a couple of litres of diesel into the head and frame and sprayed inox down the plughole.
Drained the diesel after cranking the engine over a couple of dozen times.
I've still got a good spark so the dunking hasn't damaged the electrics it seems.
I plan to repeat the diesel flush at least two more times, before filling with cheap supermarket oil and hopefully starting it. I'll change the oil and filter a couple or three times before I ride it and keep a close eye on the oil colour. Any other tips for resurrecting a drowned engine?
Remember to drain whatever water that may be in the exhaust pipe.
sw3dl1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #8237
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw3dl1 View Post
Remember to drain whatever water that may be in the exhaust pipe.
Thanks, l hadn't thought of that. Good a time as any to fit my stainless headers l suppose.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #8238
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
[QUOTE=lookfar;21854070]Looks nice Dave.

There is a white rear fender on ebay at present, not original, one of the DC plastics ones.

Thanks for the reference, but unfortunately I need the whole assembly, taillight and brackets and all. The former owner swapped on a fender and taillight off of an XL250 and everything is different. I am going to start search eBay for the full assembly off of a scrapped bike, not necessarily XL600 since nearly everything else on my bike is frankenbike I am not afraid to adapt. Maybe XR650L? I will have to look at one to see if it is possible.

I have been looking at one of those eBay taillights, all LED and 12 dollars or so. I am a little afraid of that stuff but the price is right. I have already converted my taillight to LED with a bulb replacement and love the low power requirement.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #8239
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
It can still be pressed out cos half the pin is still accessible next to the gear. Its tricky, but someone who knows what their doing shouldnt have too much trouble.
From what I have seen on youtube, scary I know, is some builders cut the pin in half at the rod with a large die grinder cutoff disk. Once it is in halves, the remaining pin pieces are pushed out of each lobe. Is this the best way?
I am lurking on ebay for a cheap XR600R crank that needs a rod. The only problem is the sellers don't post a lot of pics for the cheap cranks. No way to tell if the teeth on the counterbalancer gear are pitted or chipped.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #8240
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
I bought an eBay XR crank for my bike and it was in pretty good shape so all I had to do is cleanup. I have a rod kit I could use ( another eBay find) but I was just as happy to not fool with it at all since I couldn't find anyone out here in the wilderness to do the job. I was in a hurry and having riding withdrawals too so I didn't want to send it out.

I have done cranks myself back in the bike shop days. They were mainly small two strokes. I fooled around with my bad crank in the press, but couldn't find a good way to jig it up and feel good about it. I think the cutting the pin and pressing the halves out is the procedure I will try when I get some spare time on a day when the weather sucks.

I have put 4,000 miles on my unknown crank since with no problems. Hopefully I will never have to lay eyes on it again.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #8241
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
I bought an eBay XR crank for my bike and it was in pretty good shape so all I had to do is cleanup. I have a rod kit I could use ( another eBay find) but I was just as happy to not fool with it at all since I couldn't find anyone out here in the wilderness to do the job. I was in a hurry and having riding withdrawals too so I didn't want to send it out.

I have done cranks myself back in the bike shop days. They were mainly small two strokes. I fooled around with my bad crank in the press, but couldn't find a good way to jig it up and feel good about it. I think the cutting the pin and pressing the halves out is the procedure I will try when I get some spare time on a day when the weather sucks.

I have put 4,000 miles on my unknown crank since with no problems. Hopefully I will never have to lay eyes on it again.
From what I have seen the small end of the rod gets ruined first from oil starvation. If the small end is good, and the big end has no axial play and very little side to side play then it should be good. I really want a fresh Pro-X rod though. Ill find one here sooner or later.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #8242
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
Hmm, I have one of those in the shed for my XL600. must try it out maybe one day.
You'll be able to go far instead of looking far. I got one like this one, the best tanks are Italian

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-XL-6...item3a827666bd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #8243
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post
You'll be able to go far instead of looking far.
Cheeky sh!t

The one that I have looks to be an original Acerbis, it has Acerbis Plastica Italia on it.
It was white many years ago, now more of an off or dirty white from fuel staining and age.

1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600

lookfar screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 11:44 PM
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #8244
Torminator NOR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
The Allspark project

I've put the pictures of the Allspark on this page. The bike has still no spark...https://www.facebook.com/Xl600NO
Old 07-14-2013, 03:01 AM   #8245
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Cheeky sh!t
I'm just jealous your bike actually goes

Soon enough I'll have it running. I paid the registration Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:52 AM   #8246
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
XL lm Dakar tank fitting

Dave, the bikes looking good :)

I have a question for LM owners regarding the front tank mounting. Does anyone know if the bolts that bolt it to the frame go all the way through the frame or is it just a bolt going into a nut welded to either side of the frame?

Cheers

Andy
85 Vespa PK135
Stretchah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:14 AM   #8247
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post
I'm just jealous your bike actually goes

Soon enough I'll have it running. I paid the registration Friday
I think it still goes, I haven't been on it for that long the battery is buggered and will not accept a charge. I did give it a start a couple of days ago, and let it run for a while, prior to that it would have been a couple of months since it was last run.

Been working on this one...nearly done and ready for registration..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=62
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
Old 07-14-2013, 04:23 AM   #8248
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Cheeky sh!t

The one that I have looks to be an original Acerbis, it has Acerbis Plastica Italia on it.
It was white many years ago, now more of an off or dirty white from fuel staining and age.

If its an early Acerbis, like mine, it may be made of nylon not polyethylene. If its nylon, paint sticks real good with none of the blistering dramas newer tanks have.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:27 AM   #8249
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Quote:
If its an early Acerbis, like mine, it may be made of nylon not polyethylene. If its nylon, paint sticks real good with none of the blistering dramas newer tanks have.
Thanks for the tip..How does one find out if it is one or the other?
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
Old 07-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #8250
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the tip..How does one find out if it is one or the other?
www.boedeker.com/burntest.htm