User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #8656
m2h
"Old guys rule"

Oddometer: 122
Gas tank

Just emptying my gas tank while the motor's out and had a thought ( I do that occasionally!!) Looking at the tank from front on the arch separates the tank into two halves. With no connection at the lowest point once the fuel level from full gets down to the back of the tank you get no fuel from the right half of the tank ( apart from bit of slop over ).
Nice to have about 2litres of extra reserve but seems a bit dumb to have a 12 litre tank and then not be able to use a third of it.
Any wonder guys bitch about having to fill up often.
Would need to have the bike near vertical to let it flow across.
Am I having a brain fart here or maybe missing a very cunning design feature??
My previous Honda had a small tube connecting the two halves under the top frame which was good but was a shit when you wanted to take the tank off with gas still in it

Just another bit in the saga. Ordered a new fifth gear from partzilla, pulled it out of the box and matched it up to the old one. Same as but 2 mm wider!. Parts fiche had 2 # so clicked on one and checked the fitment list. Yep fits the same model as mine and some XR's and others. Sweet! No! Went back and looked at the other part# and fitment list shows only XL's. What a bitch!! Now have to get it machined or ground to fit. Luckily, can be done as it can be taken off the side opposite from where the dogs engage. More expense!!
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!#@$%*&^

m2h screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 05:08 PM
m2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #8657
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrordaktyl rexxx View Post
Hey yall, I am sure I could read this thread and probably come with an answer, but I am stressed and need to try and get bike fixed ASAP, since school is starting next week, and this bike is my ride.

So, my Xl has had some electrical gremlins as long as I have had her. I have installed a Ricky Stator and a new pulse generator. These two things seemed to have fixed my issues for the a good while, but now bike seems to be losing spark when she gets hot. Before the stator and pulse gen replacement, when the bike got hot, say riding for and hour or more the spark would be erratic, backfire and all then conk out, restart once cool.

I ride in the city for my commute, which is like 10 miles, right through Baltimore, so it is fast stop and go I'd call it, which the bike doesn't seem to like, today I was like a mile or so from home, after riding to school uneventfully as well as having done so for the last month or so, and she conked out, and she wont start back up, seems to not be getting spark at the plug wire.

What should I look into do y'all think. Bike has an aftermarket air filter, exhaust is stock, but freed up a bit, upjetted the carbs.

its an 86 xl600r if that makes a difference.
Sounds like a valve seat coming loose.
First replace the coil and CDI.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #8658
INTMD8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post

My favorite front tire in slab,gravel has been the Shinko 700.

If I had to buy new tires tomorrow I would go again without hesitation for the Shinko 700 on front, and likely the T63 again on rear. Maybe another 700 on rear as an alternate choice.
Thanks!

So the Shinko's are pretty stable at higher speeds? I think I will give them a try.

Now I have a barely used set of knobbys, a half worn out set of Mefo's and a nearly new set of TKC80's. I need to get rid of some of this stuff.

Stretchah- Thanks but I'm trying to get rid of any high speed wobble. Not a feeling I want to continue dealing with on the street.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #8659
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
Thanks!

So the Shinko's are pretty stable at higher speeds? I think I will give them a try.

Now I have a barely used set of knobbys, a half worn out set of Mefo's and a nearly new set of TKC80's. I need to get rid of some of this stuff.

Stretchah- Thanks but I'm trying to get rid of any high speed wobble. Not a feeling I want to continue dealing with on the street.
To fix that, I changed the front fender to an Acerbis, dropped the forks in the clamps 1/2 inch and put on a 50/50 street dirt tire.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #8660
INTMD8
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
To fix that, I changed the front fender to an Acerbis, dropped the forks in the clamps 1/2 inch and put on a 50/50 street dirt tire.
Thanks.

Fwiw my bike was perfectly stable at an indicated 100 with the Mefo explorers. Only change was to the TKC80's and it feels like death at higher speeds
Old 08-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #8661
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
I have not had my bike over 90 this year but there was no headshake. The headshake on gravel roads was much improved by the Shinko. I don't think I have gone much over 75 on gravel either. I ride slow anymore.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #8662
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrordaktyl rexxx View Post
Hey yall, I am sure I could read this thread and probably come with an answer, but I am stressed and need to try and get bike fixed ASAP, since school is starting next week, and this bike is my ride.

So, my Xl has had some electrical gremlins as long as I have had her. I have installed a Ricky Stator and a new pulse generator. These two things seemed to have fixed my issues for the a good while, but now bike seems to be losing spark when she gets hot. Before the stator and pulse gen replacement, when the bike got hot, say riding for and hour or more the spark would be erratic, backfire and all then conk out, restart once cool.

I ride in the city for my commute, which is like 10 miles, right through Baltimore, so it is fast stop and go I'd call it, which the bike doesn't seem to like, today I was like a mile or so from home, after riding to school uneventfully as well as having done so for the last month or so, and she conked out, and she wont start back up, seems to not be getting spark at the plug wire.

What should I look into do y'all think. Bike has an aftermarket air filter, exhaust is stock, but freed up a bit, upjetted the carbs.

its an 86 xl600r if that makes a difference.
I think that your CDI is breaking down when hot.

They are NLA from Honda, but there are a few floating around on ebay, but FYI, a CDI from a XR600 will fit as well.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #8663
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2h View Post
Just emptying my gas tank while the motor's out and had a thought ( I do that occasionally!!) Looking at the tank from front on the arch separates the tank into two halves. With no connection at the lowest point once the fuel level from full gets down to the back of the tank you get no fuel from the right half of the tank ( apart from bit of slop over ).
Nice to have about 2litres of extra reserve but seems a bit dumb to have a 12 litre tank and then not be able to use a third of it.
Any wonder guys bitch about having to fill up often.
Would need to have the bike near vertical to let it flow across.
Am I having a brain fart here or maybe missing a very cunning design feature??
My previous Honda had a small tube connecting the two halves under the top frame which was good but was a shit when you wanted to take the tank off with gas still in it

Just another bit in the saga. Ordered a new fifth gear from partzilla, pulled it out of the box and matched it up to the old one. Same as but 2 mm wider!. Parts fiche had 2 # so clicked on one and checked the fitment list. Yep fits the same model as mine and some XR's and others. Sweet! No! Went back and looked at the other part# and fitment list shows only XL's. What a bitch!! Now have to get it machined or ground to fit. Luckily, can be done as it can be taken off the side opposite from where the dogs engage. More expense!!
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!#@$%*&^
Can't you return it and swap for the other one?
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:51 AM   #8664
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Well lm going to tear into the motor tomorrow, to try and locate the rattle coming from the engine. It sounds like its coming from the camchain side, and is worse, or at least most audible at idle.
The camchain is about 4000kms old, and l replaced the tensioner spring at the same time.
While its apart l'll check the camshaft and followers for wear, look for loose bolts anywhere, and anything else out of order. I'll also check to see if the tensioner is working properly.
Wondering if theres anything else l should look for while its apart.
Apart from the noise, its been running well, starting easy and pulling like a train.
Its just this annoying noise, which sounded ten times worse yesterday after l got off a brand new BMW F800 GSA I test rode. Very nice quiet motor.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:14 AM   #8665
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
You should never ride a new bike, especially something as refined as a Beemer if you like your old one. Everything feels so good, engine is quiet and subtle little things like levers don't rattle and control feel tight and everything works so smoothly.

I got to ride a nearly new XR650L one month when my 600 was down waiting for parts and the ride was very smooth and quiet. It was also kinda boring and it wasn't long I was yearning all the more to get my old beater running again. I missed the power and suspension upgrades.

I harbor the fear that if I rode something really cool like a 690 KTM (or even the 525) I would just have to have it. Ignorance is bliss they say.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #8666
brokeagain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Well lm going to tear into the motor tomorrow, to try and locate the rattle coming from the engine. It sounds like its coming from the camchain side, and is worse, or at least most audible at idle.
The camchain is about 4000kms old, and l replaced the tensioner spring at the same time.
While its apart l'll check the camshaft and followers for wear, look for loose bolts anywhere, and anything else out of order. I'll also check to see if the tensioner is working properly.
Wondering if theres anything else l should look for while its apart.
Apart from the noise, its been running well, starting easy and pulling like a train.
Its just this annoying noise, which sounded ten times worse yesterday after l got off a brand new BMW F800 GSA I test rode. Very nice quiet motor.
This is just speculation, but I had read somewhere that rattling noise can come from the crankshaft bearings. I had ordered a new one when I replaced my cam chain, but was too chickenshit to tear the cases apart when I realized that's what I'd need to do.
brokeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #8667
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
You should never ride a new bike, especially something as refined as a Beemer if you like your old one. Everything feels so good, engine is quiet and subtle little things like levers don't rattle and control feel tight and everything works so smoothly.

I got to ride a nearly new XR650L one month when my 600 was down waiting for parts and the ride was very smooth and quiet. It was also kinda boring and it wasn't long I was yearning all the more to get my old beater running again. I missed the power and suspension upgrades.

I harbor the fear that if I rode something really cool like a 690 KTM (or even the 525) I would just have to have it. Ignorance is bliss they say.
Totally agree with that, have always turned down rides on friends ktm's or sports bikes for that reason and it's the main reason I bought the xl...love the character of older bikes and having something different...and needed something completely different style to the Harris so it didn't detract from it...they are poles apart and it makes me enjoy each even more :)

Even if I do spend more time working on them than riding sometimes ;)
85 Vespa PK135
Stretchah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #8668
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Nothing all that unusual about this ad, but it looks like a decent bike. And it's about 45 minutes from me. Seems a little pricey, maybe...
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #8669
INTMD8
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I have to disagree. I've ridden many other newer bikes. Bought a new Diavel and ended up selling it.

Overall the old XL is still perfect for me.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #8670
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
I have to disagree. I've ridden many other newer bikes. Bought a new Diavel and ended up selling it.

Overall the old XL is still perfect for me.
I rode a 650L and I was a little dissapointed with it compared to my XL. I was riding down the road thinking "My XL will smoke this POS!!"

I was gonna buy a 650L and part out the 600R when the valve seat dropped. One test ride and I changed my mind real fast Even the dealer told me he had an XL600R for years and thought it was the better bike, just a little outdated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote