Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #121
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavCPT

Less expensive to just find a working engine I imagine.

Yup.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #122
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
The engine is cooked. Bad oil change by a local shop (out of business) while I was deployed overseas. The mechanic didnt follow my very specific instructions and failed to realize that you had to run the bike after the first quart or you'd get a bad reading on the dipstick. So he only added one quart instead of three. My fault of couse was failing to double check.

Expensive lessoned learned.

So, I essentially need a complete top end; cylinder head, crank rockers, piston, valves, cam, etc.

Less expensive to just find a working engine I imagine.
Where are you located? I like getting cheap cooked XL600 engines.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #123
mdkm85
uni-cycler

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
That was waterscm that volunteered mine and others' help. And the Zombie doesn't "stop", the Zombie keeps on Stomping!
sorry, my bad Zombie STOMP
mdkm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #124
WhereAmI
Hop a Long

Oddometer: 294

This is my ride, took her out the other day and damn does it pull. The previous owner said it was jetted, and I changed the oil, and the front tire (couldn't loosen the rear rim). I took off the spring that connects the rear brake to the switch because it would stick sometimes otherwise I am quite the happy guy. I couldn't take the bike far from home because my road test waiver still hasn't gotten here from MSF, come on its been 5 weeks now and there have been way too many beautiful days.
WhereAmI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:58 AM   #125
CavCPT
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
Where are you located? I like getting cheap cooked XL600 engines.

Zombie,
Alexandria, LA (71303). She's all yours.
CavCPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #126
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Zombie,
Alexandria, LA (71303). She's all yours.
Maybe you'll still have it in a few years. I plan on living in Shreveport at some point in my life. Unless you feel like packing it up.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #127
crag antler
Viva Moosehead

Oddometer: 435
CavCpt, PM sent
Maybe this could work for you
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...A1123&viewitem=
1976 Yamaha DT400
2000 Kawasaki Concours
crag antler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #128
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Pardon if I've posted something like this here already. I keep adding things to the bike and the list of things to be done all the time! Not that it needs a lot of attention, but let's just say I'm a bit obsessive.

Here is the 1983 XL that I rode across the USA from NC-WA, then XR-ified:
In my new Pacific NW driveway:

Next to a friend's "re-issue" classic-styled triumph scrambler:

After a re-ride of the Portland Alley Sweeper "Urban Enduro" :

-1998 XR600 engine with the original '83 dual carb head fitted
-FMF stainless exhaust ("stainless" my arse!)
-XR forks with XR650L upper triple clamp for key ignition, custom mounting brackets and "custom" steering lock hammer bashing to get it to work with the XL frame (a little friendly persuasion of the steering lock tabs to make them align just enough! )
-custom-made raising link in the rear
-custom made nylon chain slider (new OEM ones cost $60USD! At best!)
-I extended the kickstand and made a new slightly larger foot for the end (not shown)
-XR350 front fender
-custom-built rack by myself, with another better similar one to follow soon.
-XRs only temperature gauge dipstick. Need a different arrangement, not only is oil leaking into the gauge face, bit there is a typo! There is no apostrophe in the plural form of "XR"! Something with a remote thermocouple from a plug-welded threaded adapter in the oil reservoir up to a backlit gauge on the dash would kick some ass!
-Renthal handle bars
-modded spitfire windshield with a new sheet of Lexan to be custom molded soon. The first "mod" to the windshield done by my slippery Anakees plus the sandy Los Angeles trails, the "fine tuning" done in Fully Geed's garage in the bay area a little firther along on my trip!
-Coming soon: 1mm oversize Wiseco 9:1 forged piston!

Old 04-26-2009, 01:09 AM   #129
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
wow joel that xr suspension is really tall, unless you are really short .....dont think so.

i was thinking of doing a similar thing with mine but after seeing that height im not sure. i like the height of the xl. but sometimes the ride is a bit harsh, also theres alot of squeaks coming from the rear shock and swing arm that unlimited amounts of wd40 dont seem to be able to cure. but the fork seals that i installed havent leaked at all in nearly 15k kms. remarkable considering that even though i asked plenty of questions and advrider and had the workshop manual i followed NONE of the advice given and did it in the way that the manual SPECIFICALLY said not to do......go figure.

whats going on with your valve timing?
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ

God of Speed screwed with this post 04-26-2009 at 04:04 AM
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #130
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterscm
wow joel that xr suspension is really tall, unless you are really short .....dont think so.

i was thinking of doing a similar thing with mine but after seeing that height im not sure. i like the height of the xl. but sometimes the ride is a bit harsh, also theres alot of squeaks coming from the rear shock and swing arm that unlimited amounts of wd40 dont seem to be able to cure. but the fork seals that i installed havent leaked at all in nearly 15k kms. remarkable considering that even though i asked plenty of questions and advrider and had the workshop manual i followed NONE of the advice given and did it in the way that the manual SPECIFICALLY said not to do......go figure.

whats going on with your valve timing?
Ever ride an XR650L? It's like that now but a bit shorter and more manageable.

What you need to do with your rear suspension squeaks is get a greae gun and USE IT on those grease zerks. I would really recommend taking it apart (the linkages) and scrubbing the pivot buhings out with some solvent though, because if it is squeaking, there is probably burnt-looking friction-hardened caked-on grease like there was in mine. That's what I discovered when I took out the link to put in the raising link, and it wasn't even squeaking. This is the most oft-neglected part of maintenance. I greased mine and left NC and 5k later it was like that. Finally it started squeaking a couple days ago nd my machinist and I tried greasing everything and it still squeaked. We realized we had forgotten the main pivot bushing where the biggest bolt in the whole bike is located, but it still squeaked. So off I rode, mystified. He had concluded that it probably needed to be "ridden out", and sure enough, it was gone the next time I checked it. The grease seems to have worked itself in there. SO GREASE IT!

Nothing's going on with my valve timing anymore, I put the freshly rebuild '83 dual carb head back on there. (An oem head block, valves, and and valve guides with only about 1,000 mi on it.)
But as you may have gathered from my visit to the machinist, I now have an extra XR cylinder of mine bored out with the matching wiseco 1mm oversize piston! That is because I did not have the money at the time of the head swap recently to buy the piston and do the whole top-end at the time, but now i went out on a limb and dropped all that I had on it, and it will be great to have a bike that idles reliably on it's own at the stoplights without having to apply choke. The quality of riding will improve phenomenally.

Oh yeah, GREASE IT!

Old 04-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #131
mdkm85
uni-cycler

Oddometer: 65
What is the benefit of adding XR forks? I realize that they're taller and maybe softer? Any other reason?

mdkm85 screwed with this post 04-26-2009 at 09:55 PM
mdkm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #132
WhereAmI
Hop a Long

Oddometer: 294
Pissed

DAMN IT ALLTO HELL
So I'm about a mile away from home practicing some slow speed maneuvering in this big parking lot and I hear a slight hiss from the engine so I shut it off. When I go to start it up again, the kick starter doesn't want to move down. I eventually give it a good kick and down it goes but instead of the compression holding the kicker, i get nothing. I tried kicking and nothing. Thekicker turns the engine when in gear but nothing. Couldnt even bump start it and i had to push her home over a metal grate bridge and up a couple of hills.
WhereAmI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #133
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,915
Added some new rubber to our XL660's....Shinko 244's.

Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:42 AM   #134
emmaus777
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Here is my '85 XL600 (along with my '08 WR250R).

I've had it about 2 weeks. The PO said it had been bored out to 650cc about 800 miles ago...is there any way to know this for sure (without a complete tear down)? If it has been bored how much oil does this engine now require? Also, The blinkers don't work at idle only when the engine is running a bit faster. Is this normal, do I need a new battery or something?

Love this bike and love this thread! You guys are great.
emmaus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:54 AM   #135
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaus777
Here is my '85 XL600 (along with my '08 WR250R).

I've had it about 2 weeks. The PO said it had been bored out to 650cc about 800 miles ago...is there any way to know this for sure (without a complete tear down)? If it has been bored how much oil does this engine now require? Also, The blinkers don't work at idle only when the engine is running a bit faster. Is this normal, do I need a new battery or something?

Love this bike and love this thread! You guys are great.
thats one purdy xl but i think it isnt an 85 model as they had completely black engines and not red cosmetics i think. it might be an 83 or 84? oh and the blinkers sounds like a burnt rectifier if it isnt the battery. mines doing the same after charging my phone/ipod and battery for my whole trip.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote