ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #16
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdawgdiva View Post
Hello everyone,

I'll be heading down to Ensenada for the first tim this year for Baja 1000 and I want to make the most of it. Looking for feedback on best places to be and what to do? I'm trying to follow along with how it all works and the break down of events, but I'm a little lost.



- What is contingency?
- Where is the best location to set up seating for the race?
- Are people ride the course once the race is over?
- Can anyone suggest a good rent a spot for renting bikes down there?


Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated! We're looking to meet up with other spectators and have a killer time!
You have some serious smelling salts, or are a necromancer.

You can get the course map and GPS here. Hover over "Races" and you'll be able to get all the deets you want. Also check RaceDez and The DirtLive Link for the Baja 1000 FAQ.

I think the best spot to see the action is near the start. You have of course, the start @ 11pm for the bikes and quads. You can check them out as they cross the 3 after ojos negros, and then again at borrego near RM192. If you want to drink and BS and get to know the people, get with any of the pits and volunteer.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
dirtdawgdiva
DirtDawgDiva
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Oddometer: 17
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
You have some serious smelling salts, or are a necromancer.

You can get the course map and GPS here. Hover over "Races" and you'll be able to get all the deets you want. Also check RaceDez and The DirtLive Link for the Baja 1000 FAQ.

I think the best spot to see the action is near the start. You have of course, the start @ 11pm for the bikes and quads. You can check them out as they cross the 3 after ojos negros, and then again at borrego near RM192. If you want to drink and BS and get to know the people, get with any of the pits and volunteer.
Lol, thanks so much! Really looking forward to it, woo!
dirtdawgdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #18
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer
 
mtbdemon's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Beaverton Oregon
Oddometer: 960
Funny I found this thread when I did-I have thought about riding my 620 down the coast from Oregon and then taking in the race as a spectator. Is that a stupid idea and asking for trouble or do others do that as well?
I like dirtdawgs idea and think a great way to see this race....
__________________
I am a leaf on the wind, watch me.....ride (I know, it makes no sense)
2007 YZ 250F SOLD
1998 KTM 620 Adventure
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #19
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
Funny I found this thread when I did-I have thought about riding my 620 down the coast from Oregon and then taking in the race as a spectator. Is that a stupid idea and asking for trouble or do others do that as well?
I like dirtdawgs idea and think a great way to see this race....
Great idea. There are too many places to see the race, so just pick one and go there. The start is always a great show, and then a few miles down the 3 where the course crosses, just above or below the crossing, is a good place to watch. once you're out there you'll find a better place to see what you want. It's a big decision on where to watch, but just find a place, talk to the others that are there and go from there. You'll see the crowds also.

And don't be afraid of the checkpoints. They're just checking for money and drugs. Flash a smile and be nice.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
dirtdawgdiva
DirtDawgDiva
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Oddometer: 17
Checkpoints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Great idea. There are too many places to see the race, so just pick one and go there. The start is always a great show, and then a few miles down the 3 where the course crosses, just above or below the crossing, is a good place to watch. once you're out there you'll find a better place to see what you want. It's a big decision on where to watch, but just find a place, talk to the others that are there and go from there. You'll see the crowds also.

And don't be afraid of the checkpoints. They're just checking for money and drugs. Flash a smile and be nice.
They are checking for money and drugs? As in, they want your money, or...? Are the checkpoints along the roads? Do they search your car? Is the police?

Your feedback really helps with planning... Sounds like the best thing to do is just set up somewhere and go from there.

What do people usually bring to set up? Chairs, coolers, snacks. Do you suggest anything else?

Super excited!
dirtdawgdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
dirtdawgdiva
DirtDawgDiva
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Oddometer: 17
Hi beechum1,

Not sure I replied correctly earlier. Can you tell me ore about the checkpoints. What do you mean they are checking for money? As in, they want your money or?

As for spectating, thanks for the feedback. We'll just pick a place near the start and go from there. Do you think it will be hard to see the motos at night with an 11 pm start time? What would you suggest bringing other than chairs, a cooler and snacks.
dirtdawgdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #22
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdawgdiva View Post
Hi beechum1,

Not sure I replied correctly earlier. Can you tell me ore about the checkpoints. What do you mean they are checking for money? As in, they want your money or?

As for spectating, thanks for the feedback. We'll just pick a place near the start and go from there. Do you think it will be hard to see the motos at night with an 11 pm start time? What would you suggest bringing other than chairs, a cooler and snacks.
drug money. Not usually your money. I don't consider them a threat to my wallet. if you want to be nice though, bring them small packages of cookies or some such snack. Make bikers look better always.

You won't have a hard time seeing the bikes at the start, but there isn't much to see really. The best place will be the wash just north. Follow the crowds and the race course. You can't get lost. Take the bikes wherever you want to stage your viewing. I leave it in the streets, but if your shit is shiny you may not want to. Cable lock is recommended if you're worried about such things. Don't take too much food. if you're in the city try the taco carts and especially the Birria if you can find a place serving during the week. There are OXXO's on every other corner and 7/11 is bringing their brand down there. You can pay in dollars just about anywhere, but changing into pesos will always be he better deal except for gas. Unless you're using a CC, dollars are the better value almost always.

I've lived in TJ for 10 years.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #23
dirtdawgdiva
DirtDawgDiva
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Oddometer: 17
Thanks beechum1! Good tips:) We're not going down on bikes, we're driving a car. A bummer, I know. But there's always next year.

Is it pretty easy to follow the race and find the wash by car?
... What is the wash? i tried to find it on the map but couldn't locate it. We'll still kick down cookies though:)
dirtdawgdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #24
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdawgdiva View Post
Thanks beechum1! Good tips:) We're not going down on bikes, we're driving a car. A bummer, I know. But there's always next year.

Is it pretty easy to follow the race and find the wash by car?
... What is the wash? i tried to find it on the map but couldn't locate it. We'll still kick down cookies though:)
google maps: 31.861959,-116.618353 Anywhere along there. starting at calle 2a. There's usually a jump at calle 7a. Pahk the cah and go for a walk. It's not as scenic as vermont in the fall, but you'll get some good sights and have a good time just checking it out. Walk in the wash, on the sides, up on the berms, up in the streets.

Antiterrorism 101: Don't be a soft target. Look like a tourist, get treated like a tourist. Not a great problem, but I always say, consequences of not being prepared, vs the investment to be prepared are in favor of being prepared. Not intended to scare or intimidate. Just a little 101 for any new territory including big cities in the US....
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #25
dirtdawgdiva
DirtDawgDiva
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Oddometer: 17
Thank you beechum1! All of this feedback is good stuff, very helpful. I checked out the map and have a better idea of where you're talking about.

Do you have any idea how far San Miguel is from the race? This is where we are staying. Gonna take in a little surfing too!
dirtdawgdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #26
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdawgdiva View Post
Thank you beechum1! All of this feedback is good stuff, very helpful. I checked out the map and have a better idea of where you're talking about.

Do you have any idea how far San Miguel is from the race? This is where we are staying. Gonna take in a little surfing too!
I think you mean the north side of town? Not walking distance for me.... if you get down early enough for either the bikes or the trucks, meaning, a few hours early for the trucks, you can park very close to the front. The first time I went down, I got there at 3am for the 6am start. I was front row lynard skynard to the start and perfect pos to get out of town quick once S was done. You can also take a taxi, but I don't do that often so I've no recommendations for that. There's a coffee shop across form the start to hang out and do internetty stuff. Also a 7/11 right on the corner.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #27
dirtdawgdiva
DirtDawgDiva
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I think you mean the north side of town? Not walking distance for me.... if you get down early enough for either the bikes or the trucks, meaning, a few hours early for the trucks, you can park very close to the front. The first time I went down, I got there at 3am for the 6am start. I was front row lynard skynard to the start and perfect pos to get out of town quick once S was done. You can also take a taxi, but I don't do that often so I've no recommendations for that. There's a coffee shop across form the start to hang out and do internetty stuff. Also a 7/11 right on the corner.
Thanks beechum1! Can you tell me if it's better to drive Late Tuesday night or Early Wed morning? Is it crazy to drive down the tollroad in the middle of the night?
dirtdawgdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #28
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdawgdiva View Post
Thanks beechum1! Can you tell me if it's better to drive Late Tuesday night or Early Wed morning? Is it crazy to drive down the tollroad in the middle of the night?
Not crazy, but you'll want to keep your eyes peeled after you pass the long straightaway by Puerto Salina then up the hill. There's a turnout for a "Vista" that if you can hold off until daylight, is worth the stop just to say you did it. Make sure you check out all the cars on the downhill water side of the hill. It's the reason they really built up the outside of that turn. After that, slow down to 55 or so depending on your vehicle. The last few miles into Ensenada, until you hit the toll booth, are wavy. You'll see.

If you have time otherwise, go down to the Bufadora. It's about an hour outside of Ens. Ask around or follow the signs. Worth the visit.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #29
dirtdawgdiva
DirtDawgDiva
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Not crazy, but you'll want to keep your eyes peeled after you pass the long straightaway by Puerto Salina then up the hill. There's a turnout for a "Vista" that if you can hold off until daylight, is worth the stop just to say you did it. Make sure you check out all the cars on the downhill water side of the hill. It's the reason they really built up the outside of that turn. After that, slow down to 55 or so depending on your vehicle. The last few miles into Ensenada, until you hit the toll booth, are wavy. You'll see.

If you have time otherwise, go down to the Bufadora. It's about an hour outside of Ens. Ask around or follow the signs. Worth the visit.
Thanks! I think we'll wait until the morning then, I don't wanna miss anything, and I am a photographer and would love to see as many sites as possible. I don't wanna miss the vista and will plan on hitting the buffadora!
dirtdawgdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #30
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdawgdiva View Post
Thanks! I think we'll wait until the morning then, I don't wanna miss anything, and I am a photographer and would love to see as many sites as possible. I don't wanna miss the vista and will plan on hitting the buffadora!
There's an exit after the vista called Salsipuedes. It means, exit if you can. It's worth the story when you get back describing it. fotogs could have a few pics there also. For more pics, take the 3N Back to tecate and either cross there or go to TJ on the 2. An even better drive if you make it over to the 5/mexicali/san felipe, is to take the 2 from mexicali to either tecate or TJ. It's a toll road that will end up costing around 15USD but it's also one of those things to do while you're here. Depends on how much time you have...... if you leave through Tecate, you'll have an hour of mountain driving on the US side that could be quite nice this time of year depending your taste of twisty mountain driving.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014