User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,741
Plugged Tire Still Leaking

Hoping to get a quick response to this.. as I'm in the internet cafe and probably won't get back to the internet for a day or two.

Right now I'm in Cuidad Valles on the last leg of a 10,000 mile ride through Mexico and some of Central America. About a month ago, I had a nail puncture my rear tire.

I fixed it with a gummy plug and for several weeks had no problems. Then the tire started leaking air very slowly, a few pounds a day. With some saliva, I determined that the plug was leaking.

I pulled the old plug and replaced it with a new one... Like before, this plug held solid at first, but after a few days, started leaking again. This time, much more rapidly. I have to stop to fill the air a couple times a day.

My first thought was to pull the plug again, and replace it--this time with two gummies (will they fit?)--and then I saw an Auto Zone and stopped and bought a can of Fix-a-Flat.

I hate Fix-a-Flat as much as the next guy, but I can't have my tire leaking air like it is right now.

Any experience with this? Should I try the two gummies first? Should I just use the Fix-a-Flat in the morning? Any other ideas?

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Thumb

See if you can find some Slime. The Autozone probably has some. I rode 1500 miles through Mexico with a rear tire with Slime plugging a small leak. Its water soluble so no mess to deal with. I would replace the plug (again) using a lot of rubber cement, then I would put the slime in the tire. Sort of a belt and suspenders approach. That should get you back to the U.S. with no problem.
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb

Jamie,
I don't presume to tell people how to spend money, but the Hotel Valles is pretty comfortable. They rooms are nice and the pool is great.

p.s. If you use the slime make sure you go around the block and then park the bike with the leak down just to make sure the slime coats it well. I would also up the tire pressure by about 5 lbs.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Slime was the stuff I was originally looking for. They had it... but I thought it came in pressurized cans. I guess not. You ooze it into a deflated tire, then inflate it, and run the tire for a few km... at least if I read the Spanish correctly.

The problem was that Slime is $10 a can here. The Fix-a-Flat was half that... right now I'm not sure of their return policy. I might go back and look at the Slime again. $10 is half a day's budget.

Or... I might just go with the Fix-a-Flat.

Thanks for the advice.

Jamie

Old 07-06-2007, 11:51 PM   #5
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,277
After "Sliming," don't expect to get another plug to stick if you take the one that is in there out. Plug it good, then Slime it. The Slime is like KY-Jelly for tire plugs.
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:16 AM   #6
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,570
I assume thst the nail was in the tread and not the sidewall, if so try this (before you slime it).
After you put the sticky thread in leave some of it sticking out and ride it for a day or so. Then grab the end and pull/wiggle the end of the string out just a bit more. This will re-seat the string and goo in the hole and re-seal it. Then cut it off sorta short.

JJ
ps once you slime the tire and rim it will be a hellava mess to clean up later. If you can avoid the slime, do so.

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:03 AM   #7
bosco
Raybanned

Oddometer: 11,596
I always put a little tire-patch glue on my plugs prior to inserting them. It seems to work quite well.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #8
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,802
Go to a llantaria and have it fixed, they will dismount the tire and patch it from the inside. Probably cost you all of $5.

jkam screwed with this post 07-07-2007 at 12:03 PM
jkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #9
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb

Jkam has the best idea.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkam
Go to a llantaria and have it fixed, they will dismount the tire and patch it from the inside. Probably cost you all of $5.
Hm... I gave it some thought, but wondered if they΄d scratch my rim all to hell, and whether they could get the tire on and off at all. Perhaps I should have gone with this idea straight away.

Instead, I brought the Fix-a-Flat back to Auto Zone, swapped it for a bottle of Slime, and used that this morning. So far today, the tire has held air.

Like a couple of others have mentioned, I originally used some rubber cement on the plug.

Darn, now I wish I would have given the llantaria idea a little more consideration.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Jamie

Old 07-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

I have replugged a tire after using Slime and it has been holding for over a year. My experience was on my BMW R1150R that picked up a nail in the rear tire on the way to Mexico. I slimed it and then rode it over a 1000 miles. after arriving home I noticed it leaking down. I then put a plug in it. That has been over a year ago and its holding air well.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #12
Laromonster
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,297
i had the same problem a few years back, a brand new rear tire on my old gold wing picked up a nail, tried plugging it myself, but kept leaking.

Took it to a tire shop and the mechanic patched it from the inside with.. dont laugh.. a miniature butt plug
He coated it with rubber cement and pulled it though with pliers.. lasted many thousand kilometers.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #13
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,823

You had the idea a few posts ago, use more string.

Usually they're folded in half, you know, two strings pass through the tire. A 'loop' on the inside, and two 'ends' on the outside.

But you can use one string to make 'thirds' so that three strings pass through. Threading a 'thirds' string into the install tool may be hard to visualize, but when the 'thirds' plug is in the tire, there is one 'loop' and and one 'end' showing on both the inside and the outside of the tire.

And if 3 passes aren't enough, use two strings to make a 'four pass' plug.

JJ's got a good idea too about pulling one the two strings back through the hole to wad up some string in the inside of the tire.

And Slime is prolly not going to work if the hole is a little too much for one string.

Good luck and safe journey.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #14
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 779
Cool2

Unless these plugs have a head on them which would push against the inside of the tire, after inserted, I would think that there would always be a good chance of leaking. I'd use the advice given , get a boot/patch put on and forget about it. You've already wasted that much on quick fixes IMHO.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:14 PM   #15
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,823

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgrain
Unless these plugs have a head on them which would push against the inside of the tire, after inserted
That is how string plugs work. Enough string to deform and cover the hole though.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote