User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #46
davevv OP
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,328
Laminar Lip

I received a PM requesting pics of the Laminar Lip, so I thought I'd post them here also in case anyone else was curious. The black circle on the Lip is in a spot where the wind pushed the Lip back into my GPS mount. I stuck an adhesive backed rubber donut on there to keep the mount from eating a hole in the plastic.

davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #47
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Great trip report!! Been to AK on a 2 week, cruise/land tour and that only whetted my appetite for the real thing (on a bike)! My salute to a fellow, ADV rider!

May you see many good roads, and meet many good people on your journeys.

Dave aka Stomdog
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #48
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,126
Thanx

Thanks for the Pic Dave.
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:08 AM   #49
thesmaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Thanks for the great report! I'm a Uly rider as well but I'm spending my time exploring Europe while I'm stationed here. I need to sit down and do couple of write ups; thanks for the reminder and inspiration!
thesmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:23 AM   #50
Metal Doc
Duc addicted

Oddometer: 1,446
Great Report.

That is one wonderful way to go get a new bike
Old 07-19-2007, 10:16 AM   #51
Shaykon Qwinney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Great report! Alaska is on my list to do.

All the wildlife you were able to see is amazing to me.

BIG ups on the save after the doe strike. WOW!

Also, thanks for your review of gear, highlights of your trip and especially the review of the Uly. That Uly looks like an impressive bike.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:42 AM   #52
davevv OP
One more old rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Doc
Great Report.

That is one wonderful way to go get a new bike
Yes it is, and it's not my first time. If you look here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165409 you'll find the report on picking up my '99 R1100GS in Manhattan and riding it home.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #53
chucktab
I did what? When?

Oddometer: 95
Great road report and pics. I was hoping on a personal review of the camera that you bought for the trip. I noticed that you reviewed everything but the camera. I've been looking for a new camera and your pictures are so impressive I'm sold on that Fuji. How'd you like using it on the trip?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #54
davevv OP
One more old rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucktab
Great road report and pics. I was hoping on a personal review of the camera that you bought for the trip. I noticed that you reviewed everything but the camera. I've been looking for a new camera and your pictures are so impressive I'm sold on that Fuji. How'd you like using it on the trip?
Okay. I won't put in all the statistics. You can find a very detailed review of the camera on dpreview here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...nepixs6000.asp

I only found a few things with the camera that some people might consider negatives.

First, it does not use rechargeable batteries. It uses four AAs. I personally consider this a plus, but some people may not. Of course you could buy nicads and an external charger, but the camera itself does not use a rechargeable battery pack. This has never been a problem for me as AAs are available everywhere. Also, I took over 300 pictures on the trip at maximum resolution (but not in RAW mode) and I still have the same set of batteries working in the camera.

The battery compartment door comes open more easily than it should. If you grab the camera wrong when taking it out of the tank bag, it's easy to slide the door open. It's also easy to get used to picking it up in a manner that will not cause it to open. So for me, it's a non-issue.

It does not have an image stabilizer. When I started looking for a camera to take along, an image stabilizer was on my list of requirements. But, when I started comparing specs and reviews, I discovered that the FinePix will give usable images all the way up to ISO1600. Whereas with comparable Canon and Nikon models, the images are barely usable at ISO400. The end result is that you can use a much faster shutter speed in low light conditions with the Fuji, thus lessening the need for the image stabilizer.

The camera requires an XD type memory card. They are available, but not as easy to find as the other types used in most cameras. I bought 3 each 1GB cards on Amazon.com @ $19.95 apiece. But, Amazon had a deal that if you applied for their Visa and used it on the purchase, you got an instant $40.00 off. So, I got all three for $20.00 plus shipping.

Features I particularly like are:

It operates like an SLR. It is not a true SLR, but does have an electronic viewfinder (EVF) that can be used instead of the 2.5" (I think) monitor on the back. Using the EVF is more comfortable for me and also reduces the drain on the batteries considerably since they are not powering the large display.

It has a manually operated 28-300mm equivalent (to 35mm cameras) zoom lens, so you get a true wide angle and a very useful telephoto all in one. It zooms by turning a barrel on the lens like the 35mm cameras I used for years and is much easier to get the precise setting I want than if I have to search for and fiddle with the + and - buttons on most digital cameras that use electronic zooms.

The lens also has a manual focus ring if you want to turn off the autofocus and do it yourself. It works, but not as well as focusing a standard 35mm lens. It seems to be some kind of electronic operation instead of a direct mechanical connection and requires a lot of turning of the ring. Either that, or it's been broken since day one because it has always worked this way. I've only actually used it to take a picture once, and I did get what I wanted.

One touch pushbutton for macro mode. All the flower pictures were taken in macro mode. Just push one button and you're there. Push it again and you're back to normal.

It was the least expensive of the comparable cameras I was looking at. The price was $317.00, but there was a $50.00 rebate at the time, so total cost was $267.00.

When looking for a new digital camera, I strongly suggest reading the reviews at dpreview.com for all the models you're interested in. The reviews are very lengthy and highly technical, but if you don't understand it all or just don't want to wade through it, their test photos and the summaries at the end provide a lot of insight by themselves. I really love the internet for this kind of stuff. Every new item of equipment I used on this trip was researched on the net before I bought it, and the end result was gear that performed as I expected and no major problems.

This may have been more than you ever wanted to know, but I just tried to answer most of the questions anyone might have had. My bottom line is that I like the camera a lot. It's easy to use, image quality is great, and it's relatively inexpensive.

Nearly 40 years ago, I worked as a photographer for the public information office at East Texas State University while getting my B.S. there, and I've owned top of the line Nikons and Leicas over the years. The Fuji is not their equal, but it's a damned nice camera for the money.

davevv screwed with this post 07-19-2007 at 02:24 PM
Old 07-19-2007, 06:09 PM   #55
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,665
Alaska Report

I commend your Alaska Report. 4 of us from D-FW returned about a month ago from a TX-to AK ride and it was fantastic. You had better weather than us, but we arrived early June to avoid crowds. A ride of a lifetime and I have been riding for 30 years. My question now is where do you ride now that I have riden to Alaska? Any suggestions? For those who have not done THE RIDE, do it when you can. You will not be disappointed. Yes the scenery around Banff is world-class. Great report.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:57 PM   #56
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Another excellent ride report(who gets tired of Alaska reports?) and motorcycle review. Good work dave.....welcome home!

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #57
Nitzo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,856
Man.....thanks so much for this report. I was born and raised in the Dakotas. My grandparents were from western Montana so I spent alot of time out there and we would also vacation every year in the Canadian rockies and the western US. After leaving the "nest" I spent some time working in Alaska. So, many of your pictures bring back memories for me....Thanks. .
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:06 PM   #58
infoatnmmoto
with the band

Oddometer: 17,923
Nice write up Dave and great pics!
I'll +1 on the Laminar Lip. I had one
on a K12GT and it did the job.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #59
ryanwilliamcantrell
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Nice report. I specifically like the info you gave on your impressions of the Uly.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:16 PM   #60
Johnny Uly
New XB12X Ulysses Owner!

Oddometer: 40
Great review!

I enjoyed your review dave! I plan on doing the same thing soon. I am going to purchase my bike in California or Arizona and meet up with my brother in Cali (I convinced him to buy a Uly too!). Him and I are going to snake our way back to Florida but he will only go half way since he lives in Cali. Anyway, glad to hear and see that the Uly is reliable, comfortable, and fun! I will be waiting on the 08 since I am not in the states at the moment. Discounts, yea :) Great job dave and I love the pics!
Johnny Uly is offline   Reply With Quote