Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 PM   #16
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustler
And how often do you have to check the valves, change the oil, and replace the rings? On my 2000 XRR (org. owner), once every six months, every 1000 miles, never.
Ed Zachary. I feel the same way. I'll have my 650R until it can't be ridden no more.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:09 AM   #17
El Toad Man
Offroad adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJ
they've got every conceivable market segment covered with their European and Aussie model lines
Hey, it may be better here in that respect, but I wouldn't say it's great. We too suffer from a cruiser and road racer dominated market. The biggest advantage here is many dirt bikes are road legal from the factory, like XRR's, most 450's, 525's etc.
There WAS a better selection back when many cool models were made (various 1980's & early 1990's P-D replicas), so the second hand market is a bit more diverse, but as for new bikes, the japs just aren't making adventure bikes for anyone. (except for DR's & KLR's) So the whole world is in the same boat.

BTW XRR's haven't been imported into oz since 2006, but the dealers are well stocked and you can still get one new if you look hard enough.

I miss my XRR
Old 07-12-2007, 12:25 AM   #18
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasKLRider
Per Honda's latest MO, the XR 650R will be replaced by either a lighter and faster CBR 600 or a larger and more hulking VTX 1800. Honda seems to have walked away from useable motorcycles.
spot on!!

Honda are disolving their heritage slowly but surely
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:53 AM   #19
beerjonny
Planning mode...

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
FI, inverted forks and a bigger tank would be good places to start/improve. Heck, make it a 680 too Mr. Honda!
A sub-frame and factory rack would be a nice additon too! (and can we have this one with greased bearings from the factory as well... no, no, sorry that is asking too much )

Well I've already invested enough into my XRR to make it a life long bike as well. This is the bike that I'll ride for decades (if I can still get spares...)

beerjonny screwed with this post 07-12-2007 at 03:59 AM
beerjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #20
Sycamore
d00b

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterhk
I'll have my 650R until it can't be ridden no more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerjonny

Well I've already invested enough into my XRR to make it a life long bike as well. This is the bike that I'll ride for decades (if I can still get spares...)
Me too. Nearing the end of my first year on an XRR, I know it's my bike for life.
Hopefully Honda realizes there are enough of them out there to keep the parts market going for decades.
Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #21
trixter
ol man coyote

Oddometer: 76
oh yeah???

ok, you guys all suck....
how am i supposed to pick one up if none of you are willing to part with yours? rats! oh sure, the CBR 1K is the shiznit... AND i haven't been on a dirtbike in 30 years - no shit - not since high school... but it's calling me back. oh well, i'll save my $$$ and be ready to pounce when the right one comes along, right?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #22
KellyC
TimeKeeper

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoid
'fraid the die was cast when honda A straddled a crf450.
Yep. Exactly. The CRF platform is the hammer and everything looks like a nail.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #23
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Oddometer: 696
The reason I asked is I'm on the fence about my XRR. Was thinking about dumping a bunch on money into it (680 kit over Winter, bigger tank, black plastic (because black is faster), Edlebrock, new springs, and so on). However, if an improved version comes along, I might have as much into my bike as a new one, then, well, its not rocket science. Like the poster above, I turned away from dirt way back in high school (the road is where I ride mostly). Not a conscience decision, life just happens. I've been enjoying my XRR big time since I saw the errors of my ways, though. I'll tell you one thing, if a new big XR/CRF comes along, it had better not require 100-mile oil changes. If it does, I'll have my XXR for a long time to come. 100-mile oil changes...geeszch.
YZ85 for The Boy
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:57 AM   #24
KellyC
TimeKeeper

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
The reason I asked is I'm on the fence about my XRR. Was thinking about dumping a bunch on money into it (680 kit over Winter, bigger tank, black plastic (because black is faster), Edlebrock, new springs, and so on). However, if an improved version comes along, I might have as much into my bike as a new one, then, well, its not rocket science. Like the poster above, I turned away from dirt way back in high school (the road is where I ride mostly). Not a conscience decision, life just happens. I've been enjoying my XRR big time since I saw the errors of my ways, though. I'll tell you one thing, if a new big XR/CRF comes along, it had better not require 100-mile oil changes. If it does, I'll have my XXR for a long time to come. 100-mile oil changes...geeszch.
I'd pass on the 680 kit if you are looking for keeping the bike longterm and having reliability in the rising era of fading OEM and aftermarket parts for the 650R.

I'll bet my left nut we never see a CRF600 or 500 (I've heard rumors about both). Honda is working hard to position the CRF450X as the do it all off road race bike. There isn't a lot of room in perimeter frames for 450cc displacements as it is and I can't see them designing a new bike based on the CRF platform from the ground up. The best thing they could have done is keep the XR650R platform and continue to update.

Man, I hate perimeter frames on off road bikes and I would hate them even more on open class (+450ccs) bikes. My 250X has a perimeter frame but I don't mind it because I'm not trying to cross a desert or come close to getting into trouble with the bike when I'm riding it.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #25
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Good point on a 680 kit.
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 07-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #26
dwrads
Right Wristed

Oddometer: 488
I'm planning on keeping my high mileage XRR for years to come. I just got a new engine off ebay for $2500 and some other new parts that come off a 2006 XRR that was parted out. I've had mine 7 years now it should be good for 7 more years.

Parts should not be problem as Honda will stiil be making this bike. Honda America might stop importing them but I'd expect other parts of the world will still be getting them.

By the way if anyone here doesn't allready know about Service Honda it's a great place to get OEM parts for less. www.servicehonda.com

DW

dwrads screwed with this post 07-12-2007 at 08:43 PM
dwrads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #27
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

So you're the one that out bid me for the sub frame. Why I oughtta....
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 07-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #28
beerjonny
Planning mode...

Oddometer: 231
A freind in the neighboring province has a 2000 XRR. Rebuilt top end twice (PM work, nothing that caused him to do it) and has NEVER opened up the bottom end. Bike has 115,000 kms on it! (71,000 miles).

He is no small man, and he rides it too...
Old 07-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #29
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,282
I've read the CRF stuff for years. might happen but J's seem to wrote off proformance big bores.
most RFS type engines get their higher power per CC output from higher rev's ala 450's.
higher rev's=higher maintentance, no thanks.
are there any high RPM 650's out at this time? not to my feeble mind
maybe husky ( not sure what it puts out, the 525 is tech' a big bore, but higher maint' on both of those bad boys)

the XR power is in the lower RPM's, thats the fun zone for me. granted the R could stand an update, but the engine & frame? works for me. 10-4 on no no on the perimeter frame, that is a bitch with a 6 gal tank.....

the big unanswered question is why in the hell dont the sissy boys at honda dual sport this SOB? bunch of candy ass' for sure.

re the CRF Q again, I dont hear too many bitching about R power with a breathed on motor. so why would they do a higher HP model?
Old 07-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #30
NorCalslowpoke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
+2 on forget the 680 kit,

xr650r's rarely run out of power in stock-uncorked form. In this order: I'd spend bucks on suspension (which you would do for any new bike), then Edlebrock, then tank, black plastics last. Don't forget the "kritter fix" for the right footpeg (google it). I love the easy, minimal maintenance of the XRR. Any extra money, just spend it on gas & tires!

Cheers
http://www.burtonco.com Sacramento Appraiser
NorCalslowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote