Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #106
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdrckclmr
Ok as a new XRR owner and the fact that I just came off a KLR please inlighten me as to why its called a PIG I thought it handled well ran great wasn't hard to start (hot or cold) and I had a blast on it at the SLAP rally last weekend
Because it is very heavy for a bike with no electric start (or even a proper electrical system for that matter), no subframe, no cush drive, no street legal kit, no big tank, etc.

But therein lies the main asset of the XRR - the engine is built like an anvil. It produces almost as much power as the Euro bikes, yet it is reliable like the other Japanese bikes. It's pretty unique in that regard IMO.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #107
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Good luck with that....

Or they simply get to enjoy much more diverse terrain than you do, ever thought about that? Like you know, mountains, and mud, and tight technical woods, and....

Of course is doesn't matter as much on a desert bike (even though kick start will still tire you out much more on a long day) but if you are telling me that in the above situations an e-start is not preferably then you are quite frankly in denial or .

That's one thing I value in my EXC over the other bikes, it has an e-start that will work 99.9% of the time, yet if you manage to drain the battery for some reason, you still got a back-up kick starter.
In regards to your commentary:

"Or they simply get to enjoy much more diverse terrain than you do, ever thought about that? Like you know, mountains, and mud, and tight technical woods, an.."

Maybe you ought to take a look at a world map and look up the topo on Michoacan, Mexico. I put 40,000 miles on a KLX400R in this area in the last 3 years. Austria and Spain is nice if you like manicured. Michoacan is much more diverse and has thousands of miles of off-road riding available. Off-road riding in Mexico may not be for everyone, but for a high mileage off-road rider who rides everyday, it doesn't get any better than Michoacan, Mexico. The XR650R is the perfect bike for Mexico. Does it all.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #108
jroy1219
n00b

Oddometer: 4
does anyone know why they stopped production?

I was just wondering if anyone knows why they stopped production on these bad boys? I am looking for a good bike in the 650 ish range, my drz 400 doesn't have enough power and I want liquid cooled so the dr650 is out. Any suggestions?
jroy1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #109
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Mr. Jroy-last model year made by Honda was 2007 but you could find new xrr's at dealers up to about 2010.I own a plated 2002 xrr.Most of the owners of these bikes have been customized them for thier owners special purpose .Everything from sumos,desert racers to adventure tour bikes loaded with camping gear.I set my bike up as an adventure bike .People say the bike is heavy but if you compare it to other street legal Japanese dual sports it weighs about the same (300-320 lbs) and makes much more horspower + decent suspension .The old school right side up front forks can be revalved and resprung and the rear shock can be reworked if needed.How many times did it win in baja?I have done a few 250-300 miles combo highway/dirt days and the bike runs rock solid all day.The no e-start sucks -if you take a break to talk to your buddies you learn to park down hill for the bump start.If I was looking to replace the xrr( kind of unemployed right now) it would be with a Husky te630 for the 6 speed trans.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote