Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
SloNEZ OP
Guano Loco

Oddometer: 599
Adventurus Interruptus ... or How I Ended Up Riding Shotgun And Writing A Lame RR.

Got some new tires, so I decided to shoot up to the UP (of Michigan) to check them out. As soon as I hit the road, it became obvious that they cause a high speed weave/wobble. It can be controlled with forward pressure on both grips, which gets a little tiring, but you do what you gotta' do, right?
Onward.
I shot up to Alden to spend the night at my mom's house. After a quick nap, I went for a little ride just as it began to get dark. Found these cool powerline-type trails and checked out the new tires' sand cred:

Sorry so blurry. Tires worked great. Tons of fun!

Checked out Victory Lane ... first time I've ever been in the winner's circle, I can tell you that!

Looked like this in the headlight:

A little farther on:

It was getting kind of dark (the rest of the pictures didn't even turn out ... including the pic I got of a deer that came the closest to hitting me as any one of them ever did - then it stopped and looked at me long enough for me to take its picture!), so I headed into Traverse City to meet my sister at the Top of the Park for a while.
They have these stop signs with retro-reflective posts in TC ... they ALL should be like that!

After hanging out downtown 'til close, sis and I went over to some hippy party with a fire and some sing-alongs.
Weird.
Even stranger, I got interrogated before I could go!
My sister's friend wanted to make sure I wouldn't start "kicking hippy ass" at the party. I assured her that I was a lover, not a fighter.
She said I couldn't do that to the hippies, either!

Finally got back to ma's about 5:AM and then slept 'til noon (ahhhhhh!) before hitting the road to da' Yoop.
I always love that first look at Big Mac!

No thanks, I've got a place to stay.
Although I wouldn't mind being smarter!

Woo Hoo!
UP, here I come!!!
That's St. Ignace visible on the right.

An awful shot of the Straits:

Oh, yeah!
Classic UP two-track.
Zoom Zoom!

Hmmm ... looks interesting:

It leads back to an old camp that was built in the '30s. I guess sometime in the '60s or '70s, all the cabins were knocked into their holes and torched. I poked around a bit on the bike:

This is what's left of an old snowmobile at the camp:

Wow - this place has everything:

Unfortunately, all the cool pictures I took of the ruins won't load on SmugMug. I tried three times (and it takes a LOOOOOOOONG time for me to download a pic to SmugMug, so I'm giving up on that).
I can e-mail them to you if you're interested .

My buddy's cottage was getting a new 1000 gallon septic tank and 800 square-foot drain field while I was there. Now this is an adventure vehicle!

Here's a view of Lake Huron from my buddy's cabin. Mackinac Island and The Bridge are off to the right (not visible).

I took a rocky ride along the "beach" for a half-mile or so.

I would not want to face plant into these buggers! Doesn't look like much in the pix, but it's real tough going in these rocks.
Hard for a puss like me to keep up much of a pace. I kept thinking of how much it would hurt to land on the rocks!

Well, this RR was supposed to be better, but I went for a ride that night over to the Runway Bar by Hessel for cigs, and the bike died on me! Evidently, some nut that holds the cam or something came loose, so the cam free-wheeled and the valves are toast. G-D it.
Oh well. I wanted to port the head and put in the 439 cc kit anyway.
The break-down was an adventure in and of itself, since it happened on some dirt road that parallels M-134 (BFE!) at about 11:30 at night.
I had quite a walk to get anywhere, so I hid the bike and my gear in a quarry and started hoofing it back to the Runway.
One house had a dog that a lady threatened to let loose on me! I yelled over to her that I was just some guy walking down the road, and that I would sure hate to have to hurt her dog. She yelled back that she wouldn't let it loose, then. Whew.
I did eventually get to a house that was a little more friendly-looking. As soon as I walked in, their mentally-challenged daughter came over, gave me a big hug and told me she loved me. I hugged her back and told her that I loved her, too.
I knew I was "in."
The guy and his nephew gave me a ride back to the cottage. The kid was about 17 and spent the whole trip telling me about his bitchin' mini-bike that he was hoping to get running again soon. Hey, a bike's a bike.
I gave the dude twenty bucks and a heap of thanks for his trouble.
Another friend was up there with his truck, so I took that back to the quarry to pick up my dead bike.
At least I was able to get back to GR without too much trouble.

Kind of a lame way to end a Ride Report, huh?
Hitchin' a ride with the bike in the back of a truck isn't how I planned for it to go.
Oh well.
SloNEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,370
nothing lame about this report at all, except for blowing your valves.. Nice riding in the UP, thanks for posting
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
SloNEZ OP
Guano Loco

Oddometer: 599
Thanks!
It was supposed to be three days longer and include a tour of U.P. ghost towns ... I started with the old camp/resort (not really a ghost town, but kind of in the same vein) 'cause it's near my friend's cottage.
Turned out to be as far as I got!
I'll do the "ghost town tour" yet, though!
SloNEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,464
Hey Craig, good report. I missed it the first time around...

That KLX is a piece of shit, man, I TOLD you not to buy it!

Interesting looking luggage rack you've cobbled up.... but you melted the side plastics!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote