ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Gimmeslack OP
furthur

Oddometer: 2,447
Central VA - any quality body/paint shops for vintage bike?

I've got a vintage airhead and I'd like to restore the gas tank. It's got a dent and would need a repaint. Will soon have decals (I hope) and don't need pin-stripping. Can anyone recommend a really good shop? Preferably in the Charlottesville to Harrisonburg areas, though I could travel to Richmond if needed.

Thanks.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
blacksan
Rev Limiter

Oddometer: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeslack
I've got a vintage airhead and I'd like to restore the gas tank. It's got a dent and would need a repaint. Will soon have decals (I hope) and don't need pin-stripping. Can anyone recommend a really good shop? Preferably in the Charlottesville to Harrisonburg areas, though I could travel to Richmond if needed.

Thanks.
I know an old dude in Waynesboro that might do it, but he is cranky. If it is the old/new GS I would ride it with pride, but that is my bone headed opinion.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
Gimmeslack OP
furthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan
I know an old dude in Waynesboro that might do it, but he is cranky. If it is the old/new GS I would ride it with pride, but that is my bone headed opinion.
Ya' bonehead, who asked YOU?

I know... I'm not gonna spend a lot of moola. In fact I can spray it myself (if wx is nice - no spray booth), but I'd like to have someone pull an orange sized dent from the side (courtesy of PO)... you know, so once it looks all nice and purdy, I can drop it and put it right back in.

I remember the years ago, first time I dropped my little formula-4 scoot on the track. I came in to pits dejected and the first thing my riding buddy/mentor exclaimed was "cool, it's a RACEBIKE now!!".

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Old 08-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
blacksan
Rev Limiter

Oddometer: 4,251
Quote:
Ya' bonehead, who asked YOU?

I know... I'm not gonna spend a lot of moola. In fact I can spray it myself (if wx is nice - no spray booth), but I'd like to have someone pull an orange sized dent from the side (courtesy of PO)... you know, so once it looks all nice and purdy, I can drop it and put it right back in.

I remember the years ago, first time I dropped my little formula-4 scoot on the track. I came in to pits dejected and the first thing my riding buddy/mentor exclaimed was "cool, it's a RACEBIKE now!!".
So, why are we not prepping the tank ourselves? Is it the new GS? I would be more then happy to help before my summer/fall vacation via Uncle. Sam.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
Gimmeslack OP
furthur

I'll have to show you the dent. What I really want is to see if someone can work some magic on that. If the paint were reasonable, I'd pay to have that done just so it GETS done. I may be in for some rude awakening - i was reading another thread about $600 being reasonable for a tank repaint

Shen HD dealer recommended guy across from DMV on rt11. I need to go to DMV anyway, so I'll see what they say. Bondo/bodywork I don't know much about. I have sprayed a little Imron years back. Hopefully I could do it again...

Twain
Old 08-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,962
Check with Velocity Vintage Cycles in Richmond - I think he site is www.velocityvintage.com

- Jimmy
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:30 AM   #7
Gimmeslack OP
furthur

Thanks. I was just in there a couple of weeks ago. Great little shop. Good thing I didn't have $5k in my pocket

Twain
Old 08-12-2008, 05:28 AM   #8
vagt6
Bit the Bullet

Oddometer: 832
This idea may not float your boat, but there are plenty of good painters around here in the woods. Go to a local repair shop and ask around. I guarantee there's a body shop guy with a spray booth in his backyard who can paint as well as any fancy, Richmond body shop.

It ain't rocket science, but you want someone who is a pro with good references. Not that hard to find, and they're a lot less expensive than going out of town to a pro body shop.

I know a guy at work who may be interested, however, he's pretty busy. PM me and I'll ask him.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #9
Gimmeslack OP
furthur

Yep. I'm thinking along same lines.

But what I really want is a magician for dent repair. I used a "backyard" guy over near Montezuma on my truck and if I don't do it myself, I might see if he'd do it.

But the dent...

I'll post pic later today.

thanks

Twain
Old 08-12-2008, 06:07 AM   #10
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,002
Who's that dude in Waynesboro that restores the classic sports cars?

He's right off 340 near the railroad bridge...

Anyway, he's kind of a bike nut and does really nice work. Might be worth checking out.

Also worth checking out as the guy collects vintage Honda 50's. I'll bet he has a couple hundred of the damn things. A few perfect ones on the showroom floor too. Nice guy. Mike, I think.

(need coffee to remember more...)

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
Buy My John Deere!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #11
Gimmeslack OP
furthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy
Who's that dude in Waynesboro that restores the classic sports cars?

He's right off 340 near the railroad bridge...

Anyway, he's kind of a bike nut and does really nice work. Might be worth checking out.

Also worth checking out as the guy collects vintage Honda 50's. I'll bet he has a couple hundred of the damn things. A few perfect ones on the showroom floor too. Nice guy. Mike, I think.

(need coffee to remember more...)
There's the guy across from coffee shop in old auto dealer's warehouse. Elder maybe? If it's him you mean, didn't know he was into bikes... cool!

Dunno who Honda 50 collector is. Where's he located?

Sounds like a fun road trip in the planning!

Twain
Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #12
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,050
The guy in Waynesboro is Mike Gassman (Gassman Automotve - I think). He is a true gearhead. He has all kinds of cool stuff in his shop/showroom/warehouse - early 70's lime green Lambo Countach (?), Crosley fire truck (for very small fires), lots of minibikes, British sports cars, Porches, a 100 year old Chitty Chitty Bang Bang something or other, and on and on.

It's worth a visit just to look around. If you come in to Waynsboro on 250 W, take the first right (just after you go under the bridge) after the light at 340. They have been nice enough to show me around a couple of times, but of course they are usally pretty busy too. They do quality restoration work which is not inexpensive.

SRG
Old 08-12-2008, 07:31 AM   #13
Gimmeslack OP
furthur

Think I'll start there, just to get the sticker shock over with. Then I'll check out recommended body shop in Staunton (Bruce Lemans?).

Thanks SRG!

Twain
Old 08-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #14
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG
The guy in Waynesboro is Mike Gassman (Gassman Automotve - I think). He is a true gearhead. He has all kinds of cool stuff in his shop/showroom/warehouse - early 70's lime green Lambo Countach (?), Crosley fire truck (for very small fires), lots of minibikes, British sports cars, Porches, a 100 year old Chitty Chitty Bang Bang something or other, and on and on.

It's worth a visit just to look around. If you come in to Waynsboro on 250 W, take the first right (just after you go under the bridge) after the light at 340. They have been nice enough to show me around a couple of times, but of course they are usally pretty busy too. They do quality restoration work which is not inexpensive.

SRG
That's the guy. Get Mike talking about electric vehicles or old trail 50's 70's, etc and be prepared to get an earful. Interesting guy.

They also have an excellent upholsterer there.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
Buy My John Deere!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #15
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Quote:
There's the guy across from coffee shop in old auto dealer's warehouse. Elder maybe? If it's him you mean, didn't know he was into bikes... cool!

Dunno who Honda 50 collector is. Where's he located?

Sounds like a fun road trip in the planning!

Same guy, not Elder but Mike Gassman, as you've no doubt figured out by now. Give us a yell if you're headed this way. Damn fine riding weather we've been having...

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
Buy My John Deere!