ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2007, 01:49 AM   #16
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead
This will be the weekend of September 28-30. [...]This isn't intended to be an enormous event,
Meat, you've given waay too much lead time for this to be anything but large. I want to meet you ATL/SE lot. I'll bring my omellet whisk and the good knife.

Dibs on tenting on the dock!

MRP
Old 07-14-2007, 05:04 AM   #17
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Thumb Looks & sounds great

Dammit son...been keeping my eye out for a get together I could make...would love to meet some of the inmates in person, but am flat covered up that weekend. Will be cooking around the clock from Thursday to Sunday with a competition BBQ team.

BBQ on the River in Paducah, KY...any riders headed down for this & traveling through Paducah...stop by for some good BBQ & find the Buzzard Brothers booth. Give John the ADV riders salute & get a free BBQ sammich

Hate to miss this one...I'm sure you'll have a blast.
'83 Yamaha Venture- Gone
'78 Suzuki GS 750- Gone
WaywardSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:13 AM   #18
hoggjaww
DOG ASS

Oddometer: 724
Count me in, this will tie-in perfect with my "Deals Gap area" ride the preceding week. You might want to wait for a name until the event transpires.

Harry
hoggjaww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:18 AM   #19
Meathead OP
tin man

Oddometer: 16,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggjaww
Count me in, this will tie-in perfect with my "Deals Gap area" ride the preceding week. You might want to wait for a name until the event transpires.

Harry

I think Spagthorpe may have stuck it already. No Clever Name '07, it'll probably be.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:27 AM   #20
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,196
Is this for known friends only or can a stranger to the group show up ?
I live down the street in Madison just outside Huntsville. I wanna come but you don't say how to get there !

Also...is this to be ADV rides on trails or asphalt?
Old 07-14-2007, 05:36 AM   #21
Meathead OP
tin man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicH2
Is this for known friends only or can a stranger to the group show up ?
Strangers preferred, actually, as everybody who's actually met any of us knows we're a buncha ingrates.

Quote:
I live down the street in Madison just outside Huntsville. I wanna come but you don't say how to get there !
As mentioned in the OP, I'll be posting gps coordinates and directions at a later date. Keep an eye on that.

Quote:
Also...is this to be ADV rides on trails or asphalt?
Yes.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:51 AM   #22
HTSRocker
Absurd

Oddometer: 2,310
I would sure like to take up some space.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:08 AM   #23
dakarboy
ugly and stupid

Oddometer: 1,408
i heard you mention riding but not riding in dirt. will there be dirt? will there be mudd? or will i be forced to ride my bike into the lake for fun? i am watching this very carefully, you should know this......
Attached Images

"IN THE ABSENCE OF REAL TORQUE VALUES, HE-MAN TORQUE SPECS WILL PREVAIL"me
dakarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:12 AM   #24
SkylineKeith
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 1,612
This sounds like too much fun! Is that possible? In!
SkylineKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:28 AM   #25
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon
Dammit son...been keeping my eye out for a get together I could make...would love to meet some of the inmates in person, but am flat covered up that weekend. Will be cooking around the clock from Thursday to Sunday with a competition BBQ team.

BBQ on the River in Paducah, KY...any riders headed down for this & traveling through Paducah...stop by for some good BBQ & find the Buzzard Brothers booth. Give John the ADV riders salute & get a free BBQ sammich

Hate to miss this one...I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Google Buzzard Brothers and Paducah and came up with this... Way to go!

This is the 12th year for the festival and it ran from the 28th through the 30th. It's a charity fund-raiser and raised in excess of $300,000 last year. Won't find out for a while how much was raised this year. The news reports said that an estimated 40,000 people attended over the three-day period. Over 25 tons of meat and poultry was cooked.

Saturday - September 30 - was an awesomely beautiful day. Picture-perfect sky. Blue and filled with puffy clouds. The festival area was packed with everyone looking for that perfect bite of barbecue. I could've eaten the air. It smelled divine.

There were 88 participating booths. 46 of them were contestants hoping to bring home the #1 trophy. Cookers represented all kinds of groups and organizations. Red Cross, fire departments, churches, bowling teams, you name it. They're a fun group of people with the best senses of humor as noted by their team names. Smokin' Hose Grillin' Team (fire department), Basty Boys, River City Rib Ticklers, Buzzard Brothers, Certified Holy Smoke (Baptist church), and more.

If you needed something to eat along with your barbecue, there was plenty else to be had. Funnel cakes, of course, ribbon fries, Polish and Italian sausges (but, why?), roasted nuts, fruit smoothies, fried green tomatoes, corn on the cob, chocolate-dipped frozen bananas, made-on-site kettle corn (smelled yummy), cheesecake-on-a-stick, deep-fried candy bars, fried ice cream, and more, and more, and more.

We arrived just after noon and made our way through the mob of people. Bought a bunch of shredded pork and a couple of drinks from Buzzard Brothers. They've been Grand Champions several years in a row and we've never been disappointed with their cooked piggie . We were rewarded with very happy tastebuds and a full tummy. Buzzard Brothers was as good as we'd remembered.

As we ate, we did a significant amount of people-watching. This was VERY fertile people-watching ground. Since it was quite warm, my husband had to put his eyeballs back in their sockets when some young things strolled by in, shall I say, scant and/or clingy duds.

There were also some real "characters" to see. Biker mamas. Whoa! Some of them were true pieces of work.

Lots of people with their dogs on a leash. Buck and I thought taking a dog to an event like this was borderline doggie abuse. What with all the smells and some of the tidbits on the ground. I got a doggie "fix" when we chatted with a family who had their bichon, Jazzie, in tow. Looked exactly like my little Spike. He was a doll and I still miss him. Jazzie was adorable and let me get my fill of petting her.

Across from the beer garden there was a stage for live music. The band that was playing while we were there was pretty good.

As our final act of indugence, we stopped at a booth we saw as we came in. It was a church group that sold fried ice cream. Oh, boy, how delicious. Each serving was a big, and I mean big, scoop of vanilla ice cream that had been rolled in what looked like finely chopped/shredded coconut, ground nuts and cinnamon. Then the whole thing was deep-fried very quickly. Each scoop was topped with your choice of chocolate syrup or honey. Chocolate syrup, of course. A wedge of fried flour tortilla dusted with cinnamon/sugar completed the dessert. M-m-m-m, good! It took us nearly a half an hour to polish it off.

We sat near a large gazebo to eat our ice cream while watching about 6 horse-drawn carriages come and go. Everyone was in a festive mood and we had a great time. We always look forward to Barbecue-on-the-River. Only a little over 11 months to go until next year. Guess I'll have to be patient.

My recommendation? If you're in the Paducah, KY area near the end of September, stick around for the barbecue festival. You won't be sorry.

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:38 AM   #26
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,653
Hi MH ! Count me in! Thanks for the invite. I have yet to experience the riding in Alabamer, so this will be a treat on a number of levels. SR
Old 07-14-2007, 08:14 AM   #27
WoovsHoovs
RUN SILENT

Oddometer: 3,830
Buddy that looks real nice! I might have to uproot myself from the Coosa river that weekend to get a change of waterfront scenery...

Any offroad stuff around that you know of?

I could even trailer up an extra, small boat of late 50's vintage with modernish johnsonrude 15 on it!

Sounds like a great time
WoovsHoovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:50 AM   #28
Meathead OP
tin man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTSRocker
I would sure like to take up some space.
Scaauugghhtt! It'll be good to see you again, mang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarboy
i heard you mention riding but not riding in dirt. will there be dirt? will there be mudd? or will i be forced to ride my bike into the lake for fun? i am watching this very carefully, you should know this......
No whiners! There will be dirt, though I don't expect any single-track. I only know of one really good, long dirt road in the area. There're dozens of 'em around, I'm certain . . . I'll just have to go find 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeFearKeith
This sounds like too much fun! Is that possible? In!
I'm not sure it is, but this'll damn sure be more fun than whateverthehellelse you were gonna do that weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwoodys
How about "I Want To Have A Rally At My Cabin"?
See thread title, smartass.

Yes, you're on the Maybe list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchesRider
Hi MH ! Count me in! Thanks for the invite. I have yet to experience the riding in Alabamer, so this will be a treat on a number of levels. SR
Woohoo! I'll look forward to seein' you here then, young lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoovsHoovs
Buddy that looks real nice! I might have to uproot myself from the Coosa river that weekend to get a change of waterfront scenery...

Any offroad stuff around that you know of?
Coosa? You're not far.

I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the area, and haven't had much chance to explore the off-road, but I've got some local guys on the job. We'll definitely have a road or two located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoovsHoovs
I could even trailer up an extra, small boat of late 50's vintage with modernish johnsonrude 15 on it!

Sounds like a great time
I'm thinkin' the one boat we've got is enough - big enough for 10 people or so, if we're just ridin' - probably wanna keep the load down a bit if somebody's tryin' to ski. That said, though, feel free to bring it along if you'd like - there's plenty of room to tie one off.

Meathead screwed with this post 07-14-2007 at 09:06 AM
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #29
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,425
Looks like fun. Does the cabin owner know this will be going on? Count me in as a maybe.

GSbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #30
nickatnite
Poster Boy for Red Death

Oddometer: 1,897
I'm gonna bitch and whine here....

:b ecca:bec ca :b ecca:bec ca :b ueller:bue ller:buell er

I'm gonna be offshore.... Dammit to hell. The stars are NOT lining up around the rings or ur-anus like they need to be.... If this were ONE week earlier like Sept 21st -23rd I could go AND bring a sexy red-head and help cook!!!

[RANT ON]
;pjsm r;jgptej g'psmjer;pgcj;og nctweu0935hujt'yp5wj reng45wph eiq35'uxtch'-439puc'9-p53yhjc4piwtohjv;ocwuith l/gsvjg;nweohgselkfgnvksjg'hc;xclfdnbjgfgbpRE;LTJVNO DSFVNOFHGTVLOSHENVH N D NKD N.NH NL;HD O;;OH ;H RB BRE O;UITTIRETRPUTRPROIROI;REHB/BVN.BV.,NX/LKFZIGHSZ/BF/kFDHFDGBFD DFDHLIGLKGBGFLBL/HKBLKHGRGR GNNNMFKLDKISDOEMDFHUEKEKI3IP7P3Y4P985645P8745P4865 P9Q4UTY5P4983Y5 9Y43POTIY CGOHG LEFHG DFL;GH ;DOHCLHG FDHG ;OFD GOPREIU YGCXCJGH; [RANT OFF]

That is all.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
1-877-280-2337 ext 5616, ask for James Andrews
BMWMOA # 125735
2006 R 1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelande Strasse (blue) the sexy color
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote