Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #181
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Talking Mazatlan

Mazatlan:
It was a bright hot sunny day. We walk to the big mall and grocery store. The food alley has Wi-Fi, I need to get our buddies back home started on getting us some part numbers. We stock up at the grocery store, preparing to hunker down for as long as it takes and get this bike issue resolved.

I walk back to the mall several hours later to look for email responses, I have 2. One part, the part numbers agree. One part the numbers disagree. Crap, but cool. If you are trying to get critical parts shipped to you, in a foreign country, you need to have at least a double confirmation of the numbers, preferably 3.

Yes, the part number error is found ‘I have a double confirmation’ I assume I can just have the package sent to the DHL office here in Mazatlan but I’m not sure. I will feel more comfortable walking down to the DHL office tomorrow to get their exact address and all the correct info. ‘Been there, done that’ with international shipping. ‘If it isn’t done just right, it can go sooo wrong’

It’s almost dark while I walk into the hotel courtyard. Heidi is talking with a couple ‘adventure’ looking dudes. Kenny (left) and Dick (next to Heidi) These guys are great. They ran into Conchita, Brian, and Dan (2-up going down +1 South America’ people) they told them they were hoping to see the cave couple. Rocken! Conchita, Brian, and Dan are staying next door at Hotel Acuario.

Heidi and I are the only people at hotel Del Sol tonight. There are plenty of chairs in the court yard for us all to hang out and rap……. All Right! Let the high level, high energy adventure / lifestyle / technical discussions begin. We are all ‘ Fired Up’. Either ‘Been there, done that’ and are ‘doing it Now’ or ‘Going there and doing That, Now’. My brain is tingling. I want to hear what everyone is saying. Adventure verbiage is flying back and forth like wildfire in a wind storm. Dick and I should have done a flying chest bump right away and got it over with. I love talking with people like this. Everyone has good information and advice about just exactly what Heidi and I are doing. How Cool is that!

It is an honor to have this group of people, along with our ‘Rat Adventure Bike’ in our photo.

Later, we all went out, a nice place that’s about a block away. It Started All Over Again. The high discussion levels and the group size made it difficult for us all to maintain only one discussion flow. Different people engaged in different discussions. O yeah! We all seemed to have a great time.

I need to make my pitch to hotel Del Sol for an extended stay. I like to have ‘cash in hand’ for closing the deal, if the deal is right.

On the way back the ‘2-up going down +1, South America’ gang was getting ready to go. I had to rap a little.

Sweeet looking rig and adventure couple…………..

Dan’s automatic chain oil system got lose while riding through Copper Canyon. He is methodically getting it all just right again. Loooooking Good!

Stopping by to say goodbye.

OK!
Adventure Power, Let it Role…………

Returning from a 3 hour walking marathon of Mazatlan Zona Dorado area we run into Kenny and Dick. They were kind enough to offer to buy us dinner (how great) but we were too ‘toast’. Later we all meet for a beer and some more great talk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today Heidi and I walked down to the south end of the beach, toward old Mazatlan centro, while looking for a place on the malecon for breakfast.

Lots of construction around Mazatlan.

O…K… :)

We find a place ‘La BamBa’ Great food, big portions and right on the malecon. Recommended.

The more we walk away from Zona Dorado the more it turns into ‘Real Mexico’. We like it…….

Getting close to Old Mazatlan Centro. It’s still early, the venders are all getting ready. These guys look like they carry the entire operation using the cart. The cart has a motorcycle front end.

I think this is a delivery truck / bike.

Heidi hopes this isn’t the fate of our bike. I bet her, this motor is coming back and it will ride again. I wonder?

If there is one thing Mazatlan has it’s police presence. New town, old town and in between, no one asks you to buy drugs. We have a ‘good feel’ where ever we walk in Mazatlan.

Heart of Mazatlan, Centro.

I gotta have it.

How much? (?cuanto cuesta?), (veinte) $1.90 OK…..

I decided I am not going to gut and peel anymore papayas while we are here. A big bag of fresh cut papaya hunks, 12 pesos ($1.09) We are liken Mexico.

Tacos are 12 or more pesos in the new part of town, 8 pesos here and 7 pesos other places. Some of the smallest stands have the best tacos and fixings.

We decided to take a city bus back home.

75 cents for a ride.

We get back to our hotel room and find this.

We remember almost the entire staff from two years ago. Hotel Del Sol, the people here are very professional and pleasant, the rooms are clean and spacious. We get nothing but help and smiles here. If you get a room around the pool you can pull the bike right in front of your room. Bike friendly parking is number one for us. Pool - number two. A super value even without an extended stay ‘special deal’

I read a reply on a thread in advrider from the strikingviking. He mentioned wide clear tape on road maps so they won’t get destroyed during a rain storm. We are ‘On that’.

Much more to come :)……………………

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #182
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,941
Clear self sticking shelf covering makes a durable weather proof cover for maps. If I couldn't get a laminated map in the Army, I made my own by using the clear shelf paper. Do both sides and it weatherproofs the map and it can be folded.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #183
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,322
Enjoying the ride

Seems like only yesterday (2005) that we crossed paths in Todos Santos.

Were in for the long haul.....Keep it coming

Bgunn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #184
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,822
Hi Tom and Heidi,

Luanna and I enjoyed chating with you at the bank in La Paz. Sorry to hear of the ign troubles but there are worse places to be than Mazatlan. Just got a chance to catch up on your adventure.

Wish we were heading south like you instead of back to the states.

Ride safe,

Mark and Luanna

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:10 PM   #185
Flyingavanti
With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer: 1,545
This is now my MORNING read everyday!

We had the chance to meet Heidi and Tom in La Paz! As we left them I had a tear ( ) in my eye realizing how neat their trip will be!

I wanted to following them south! (will post a few pictures of our visit with them as soon as I down =load the pictures).

These are 2 of the nicest people you will ever meet. Heidi --- Keep Tom in line!

Be safe and continue the dream!

Over 27,000 miles in South America -- which is NOT enough!

Here is a link to the South American Ride Report...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

Trip Index Page.... If you are interested in one spot in South America, you can click on this link http://www.ploung.com/south_america.htm and go directly to your point of interest.
www.Ploung.com
Flyingavanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:05 AM   #186
Mad*Sparrow
NoMadic Wanderer

Oddometer: 180
No Gringo

Just to let you know, Gringo is a deragatory term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Dulce
Hey Tom,

If you have time in Loreto, check out a gringo bar called Macaw(sp?). Take the main street to the water and turn right, its a few blocks on the right. Most days at about 5 pm several of the local gringo (full time and part time)residents gather for a cocktail. They pour a good drink and the fish tacos are pretty good.

Great trip, keep the reports coming. We are leaving for a Baja/Copper Canyon loop in mid Nov. If you are still in the area then, maybe we could meet up for a beer or two.
Warren

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mad*Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:31 PM   #187
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Thumb

ST4Fun: Waymo:

Rous44:
Hey Dick. A pleasure meeting you and Kenny also. We hope you both made into (and out) of the Copper Canyon. What a great ride; all over Mexico ending with Los Mochis to batopilas. You guys are doing it all!

GroveRider:
Good stuff here. All the wiring looks so good I just can’t see a short problem. A faulty breaker, the ignition switch shorting and welding it’s self, I can see it. I will hope.

805gregg:
San Juanico, too bad we didn’t meet there, what a great spot, and yes, good thing Ivo missed it.

Moto31:
Clear shelf covering: I am looking for it. The wide clear tape works but it takes a long time to do a map. Mexico, Guatemala maps are done. Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama maps to go. Good tip.

Bgunn:
That was a great time down in Todos Santos and a pleasure meeting you guys. Probably run into you again down in Mexico….

MJS:
Yes, another unreal coincidence and pleasure running into you two in La Paz. It’s so great when Heidi and I actually meet and talk with people who have ridden to Panama. Sounds like SA is not far away for you two. The dream is alive….

Flyingavanti:
O wow! Heidi and I talked about stepping up the ‘depth’ of the ride reports after talking with you in La Paz. Now that you are gonna read it I really need to ‘step it up’ ha ha, but you did set a new standard for great ride reports on advrider.

Yes, after leaving you and the gang in La Paz I noticed Heidi’s eyes were tearing up. Heidi said you were just so sincere about being excited about our trip. Tanks so much for that and the great words.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #188
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Wicked A few pics

Mazatlan: Great place for walking

We have a small outside area in the back with a sink and cloths line. This guy likes to watch, he thinks he’s our helper.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #189
Flyingavanti
With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebiker
Yes, after leaving you and the gang in La Paz I noticed Heidi’s eyes were tearing up. Heidi said you were just so sincere about being excited about our trip. Tanks so much for that and the great words.
Tom,

Please tell Heidi I have a NEW goal in life.... I would love to meet you guys in South America during the next year or so and ride a few places with you guys. I am sure we could spend a week of dinners talking about the adventures. And TOM, count your lucky stars...... you have a REAL treasure there.... (HEIDI)! Not many guys have a wife that would tag along on an adventure like yours and I could tell from the time we spent together that she is perfect for the trip (flexible, understanding, curious, fun and tolerate). My heart is with both of you. Now get back to posting more pictures!!!!

My new signature below says it all -----

Over 27,000 miles in South America -- which is NOT enough!

Here is a link to the South American Ride Report...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

Trip Index Page.... If you are interested in one spot in South America, you can click on this link http://www.ploung.com/south_america.htm and go directly to your point of interest.
www.Ploung.com

Flyingavanti screwed with this post 10-16-2007 at 01:24 PM
Flyingavanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #190
cavegirl
Girl on the Go

Oddometer: 21
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingavanti
Tom,

Please tell Heidi I have a NEW goal in life.... I would love to meet you guys in South America during the next year or so and ride a few places with you guys. I am sure we could spend a week of dinners talking about the adventures. And TOM, count your lucky stars...... you have a REAL treasure there.... (HEIDI)! Not many guys have a wife that would tag along on an adventure like yours and I could tell from the time we spent together that she is perfect for the trip (flexible, understanding, curious, fun and tolerate). My heart is with both of you. Now get back to posting more pictures!!!!
Flyingavanti:
Tom and I feel very blessed to have found each other.
I can’t tell you how much your kind words meant to me, and they couldn’t have come at a better time; bike broke down in Mazatlan and I’m fighting a finger infection. We would love to get together in SA with you. Your knowledge and love of adventure travel would definitely add to our experience. And as far as keeping Tom in line…..well, is that really possible!

cavegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #191
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
Tom,

I just checked on your DHL package and it has arrived! The tracking number is 7401951045.
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #192
cavegirl
Girl on the Go

Oddometer: 21
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster
Tom,

I just checked on your DHL package and it has arrived! The tracking number is 7401951045.
Thanks Coulter! I owe you a big kiss, hopefully when we see you in Costa Rica.

cavegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #193
roninwva
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
I don't know if I missed it, but I thought you were going to go down to the Harley shop in Cabo San Luca and have them look at your problem. Great report keep the words and pics coming.

CMA
PGR
HOG
91 FLHTC
04 Kodiak 450
06 Wee-Strom
roninwva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #194
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Talking Cabo was the plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninwva
I don't know if I missed it, but I thought you were going to go down to the Harley shop in Cabo San Luca and have them look at your problem. Great report keep the words and pics coming.
No you didn’t miss it, Cabo was the plan. But after going over all the symptoms in my head we decided to shoot for Mazatlan, a good a place as any to wait for parts, better then Cabo in our minds. Plus, we were ready to push on to the mainland.

But then the ignition switch welded tight our first day in Mazatlan and killed the bike dead. A member of XLforum.com has a 95’ XL1200 just like ours and he had the exact same symptoms; bike killing, seconds later firing right back up. It was the ignition switch. The net is so great for contacts like this.

My buddy Hipster sent the parts. Heidi and I walked and picked them up today. I just finished installing them. The ‘Adventure Rat Bike’ rides again! O Yeah……..

Old 10-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #195
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebiker
The ‘Adventure Rat Bike’ rides again! O Yeah……..
Oh Yeah! Thanks Hipster for getting them their parts, and thanks cave couple for keeping us a part of your journey!

Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote