Lambo3

Oddometer: 802
Awesome ride and Excellent report!

hmmmm...
I think I know where that motor went

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebiker
Mazatlan:
I think this is a delivery truck / bike.

Heidi hopes this isn’t the fate of our bike. I bet her, this motor is coming back and it will ride again. I wonder?

Lambo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:28 AM   #197
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavegirl
Thanks Coulter! I owe you a big kiss, hopefully when we see you in Costa Rica.
Ooo baby

Glad the bike is up and running again so you guys can continue on with your adventures.
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #198
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Tom and Heidi,
Hard to imagine being hot in Mazatlan. I got back to Kansas City last night to the cold and rain.
Kenny and I had some adventures after seeing you. The trip to Urique was quite exhausting. You'll read all about it in a ride report soon.
Wish you guys the best in your travels, and I will travel with you vicariously through this report. Love ya,
Dick

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:19 AM   #199
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Thumb repair pics

After getting the email from Hipster we marched straight to the DHL office. Parts in hand! I have to get to it, Now.

I create a small paradise right in front of our room.

The cables on the switch are too short. Just as well because the original wires run through a big wire harness and would be a big hassle to take the old wires out and fish the new wires in. The switch came with a kit to splice wires together. No Problem Mon……

I hate mechanical wire clamps but that’s all I had. I cut, strip and clamp the wires together. I use a vice-grip pliers to crimp the wires. It seemed to work just fine but I still wish I had soldered the wires.

Installing the new 50 amp main circuit breaker. O Yeah…..

A new dent. It must have happened on the ferry. The girls are fine, I like it.

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #200
Mat Sub Zero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I have an '86 Sportster. Another ignition prob is an overheated ign module. It will make your bike spit & backfire. (I realize that was not your prob but something to keep in mind).
I think you hit the nail on the head with your fix, (ign switch & breaker) I had a breaker go bad on my bike (altho be it a headlight breaker). It was stuck "open". Thats the opposite of a 'short'. It was a short it my taillights that caused my breaker to get stuck open. The breaker kept resetting itself for hours & I didnt realize it while I had that short.....Wore that breaker out!!
Just my lil 2 cents...
Great RR!!!!!!!!
Mat Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #201
blueglide88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
wire?

Hey Cavebiker.......

3rd photo, where you are showing off the new switch you just installed.......what is that wrapped around your front left brake line? It looks like wire to me, and it looks like trouble. Dunno what it's for, but if it serves no purpose, maybe you should get rid of it.

Glad you got the bike fixed. I'm looking forward to more reports!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #202
BriKielyGSman
BigBadBri

Oddometer: 510
Are you on the road soon then??

Ahhh..new parts........is the bike ready to roll??

We are in San Salvador right now at a fellow ADV riders place. They are treating us like royalty!1 We were supposed to hit the road today after a two day break, but it is raining like crazy. We will head out tomorrow, raiin or shine.

Glad to hear you got your parts....

B C and D

BriKielyGsMan's South America Ride Report - Two Up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259451
BriKielyGSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #203
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,991
Great news Tom!!! Good to hear you got the "Adventure Rat Bike" going again.

It was great meeting you guys in Mazatlan. Enjoyed the beer and the road stories. I will be keeping close tabs on your thread so keep the pics coming.

Tell Heidi I said hey and you guys be safe.

Kenny
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #204
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Thumb

Rous44: Thanks amigo. Sweeet, I look forward to the RR and pics. Urique Canyon = adventure.

Blueglide88: Yes & thanks, good eye. I’m looking at the photo. It looks like the wire dropped. I will straighten and secure it today. The wire is for a magnetic pickup speedometer I installed after a speedo I bought on ebay indicated an error of 22%. I don’t care about the speed so much but I like a good odometer.

BriKielyGSman: !Bike is ready, we are ready….! Sounds like a great time in San Salvador. Hope you had clear weather heading out.

Kennyanc: Thanks man. It was also a great pleasure meeting and spending time with you and the Rous44 in Mazatlan. It was like, out of a scene from some ‘tropical adventure movie’ or something. Good time…

Old 10-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #205
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Laugh Mazatlan was great

I made a deal at Hotel Del Sol for 2 weeks, enough time, I thought, to get the bike parts shipped to us from the US. We got the parts right away and could have been out of here a week earlier, but an extra week in Mazatlan is not a bad thing.

If you don’t mind heat and humidity, Mazatlan is a great place for marathon walking tours. The beach is almost endless, the malecon is at least 5 miles long, the tourist section and old Mazatlan Centro are all fun areas to explore.

When Heidi & I look for a long term place to hang out we minimally look for good walking and hopefully a gym. We signed up for 2 weeks at JB Gym. It’s a 20 minute walk right on the malecon.

We saw a Madonna movie a couple weeks ago. I tell Heidi “You use to have arms like that”, “You can have them again!”, “I’ll be your trainer and we can work out together”. A dream, an opportunity, a focus. Adventure travel is a great medium to evaluate where you are, where you want to go and start something new.

We do an intense 4 day split using progressive resistance / pyramiding techniques. I count out the reps, Heidi ‘grunts out’ the last one or two. We are discovering all over again why we fell in love in the first place…..

ONE More!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m getting ready to meet a hero of mine. Heidi says I’m running around like someone getting ready for his first date. I say to her “How would you be acting if you were getting ready to meet Madonna?” She backed off and said she understood, but she still enjoyed razzing me.

He is coming over to pick us up, a guy I have never met before but I feel like I have known him for years. Glen Heggstad , an extreme world motorcycle adventurer and author of “Two Wheels through Terror”. I have been reading Glens motorcycle ride reports on the internet since 2001’, from his ride through Mexico, Guatemala and Belize, his Central and South American ride which included being kidnapped and held prisoner by Columbian rebels (book) and his most recent ride, two years round the world (book coming soon). Glen has inspired thousands, including several rides of ours. This is a big event for me.

It was like meeting a brother I haven’t seen in a long time. “Where are you riding from?” “Where are you going?” Glen wants to know all about our bike and if we need anything. He says” You are just starting out. On the way back from South America is when you will need parts” Glen is offering tons of information about our route south. We get a comforting feeling that help is out there, all the way to South America and back.

We all head out to get some carne asada, Glen knows of a great place. I have a million questions formed in my head.

Our bike was unloaded and it felt like a dirt bike. I’m having fun chasing the StrikingViking to the carne asada stand. Heidi, on the other hand is hanging on a lot tighter than normal. Yeehaw!

We will stop here again. Glen has fun giving ‘crap’ to the guys working here, everyone knows him. He says this place sells more carne asada than they can make. We can see why, delicious big thin hunks of beef, grilled to perfection, right in front of you.

I tell you, I have never been so speechless in my whole life. All I could say was “Wow”, “Cool” and “Unreal”. Glen is bigger then life, telling the stories, giving the emotions with his eyes, bursting with new big ideas. I couldn’t absorb what he was saying fast enough. The experience was overwhelming. To say Glen was a gracious host to us would be a gross understatement.

Thanks man, I hope we meet again.

Mazatlan was great for us but a travelers desire to hit the road again is never far away.

Hang on! Much more to come…..

Old 10-24-2007, 01:26 PM   #206
Digiamo
Dan nyc

Oddometer: 805
Wink

Hey Tom and Hiedi, I was wondering when you were going to get together with the big G-man. I am so happy that you're bike is fine and you are having a great time. I look forward to the same when I get down there again.

I am inspired!

Tom, keep a close eye on Hiedi around the icon of adventure

Dan ny
Digiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #207
bike4ever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Catching Up

Wow, Flying Avanti and now the man himself, the Striking Viking, all in one trip. Anyone or anything that leaves you speechless is truly amazing. Actually, this has to be a first! I've never seen you speechless.

You guys are looking buff. Tell Cavegirl she's looking mighty fine!

Best of luck with the bike repairs. Hopefully its fixed and stays fixed.

You're not missing anything here. The fall weather and colors have been mediocre compared to years past. They are predicting snow for next weekend. Thanks for the pictures and keep them coming. They'll help keep us warm in the months ahead.

On the Adventure side, three other employees of the fine company you used to work for and I have tickets for the next bike trip: Poland, Czech and Slovak Republics, Austria and Hungary; August 2008. Not SA, but a fine adventure anyway. More to come...

Be safe!

Dave
bike4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #208
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,299
Hey guys, I am in Mazatlan as we speak, at the Playa Mazatlan in the Zona Dorada. Going over to see the Viking at 330 but should be back at the Playa by 7.

Rm 220 if you are still in town.

Leaving for Durango tomorrow.....

Bob
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #209
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,811
Hola mis amigos. Donde estas? You guys got me so inspired that I'll likely follow your path back into Central America for the winter. Just waiting on clearance now...
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #210
BlaSTr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Great RR CaveBiker.

I work in the marine industry delivering all manner of boats all over the world. I am continually amazed that in the yacht business, like adventure riding or bike riding in general, how often, in the most remote places, I meet others with similar interests, those on a simlar mission, those I've read about and idolized, and found that 99.9% of the folks in the world are friendly, giving, funny, and generous to a fault.

Looking forward to the continuing story and more great photos.

IBA SS1000 & BBG1500

06 ST1300A
00 Jeep Cherokee
----------------------
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
BlaSTr is offline   Reply With Quote