User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2007, 05:16 PM   #31
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Wink A serious game of Gin:

I’m starting to feel the Dharma, I think we both are. Our minds are freeing. We are focused only on our reality and what is important to us now, at this point in time. We find ourselves looking intensely into each others eyes and nearly burst with emotion. We are falling more in love. We are discovering ourselves and each other all over again as if for the first time. This trip has already been a journey in more ways then one.

================================================== ==================================
Friday:
The sun is red again this morning. We need to find exactly where those forest fires are.

Heidi had a dream that my head burst in flames while I was lighting the camp stove. I can see why! I re-read the stove instructions. Now I know what I was doing wrong.

We had big thunder storms moving through the area overnight. We purchased a small short-wave radio for this trip. It’s about the size of a cigarette pack but thinner. We tuned into a local station and received constant updated of two cells, one cell they said is capable of producing ping-pong size and baseball sized hail. Then a tornado watch in the same cell. We were near the smaller cell and I kept assuring Heidi that it’s at a city close to us but moving the other way. I didn’t tell her that that other city is only a few miles away. We stayed up during the storm listing to the radio, counting how long it took for the thunder to reach us. We calculated it coming toward us, being close to us, a second away at the closest, and moving away. This was great. I love this kind of stuff And it kept Heidi from running and hiding in the shower room.

Heidi is having some bad pains in her hip and was up crying in the tent last night in pain. She doesn’t think it’s from riding or camping or hiking, none of that bothers her. She noticed the pain first after a long ‘jump-roping’ session over a week ago. She’s worried it’s something serious. Doctor Tom jumps in and diagnoses it as some type of inflammation in the hip caused by a marathon jump-roping session. The prescription is for anti-inflammatory medication, Ibuprofen and time. I need to take care of my riding partner and get her better. She’s part of my sole, my zest in life.

================================================== ==================================

Saturday: Wyoming
We get an early start. The temperatures are expected to be in the mid nineties today but were perfect all morning for riding.

Heading West from New Castle, WY. For over fifty mikes there was only one shade tree to park under. We hit it…

A bunny at Heidi’s feet.

An antelope checking us out.

Nice flowers. This stop was a score.

Tooling toward Casper, WY:
Heidi sees some rain way ahead, she comes up with a new signal for rain. It looked like we were going to ride right into it. We pull over near some cool rock formations and evaluate the situation. We decide to wait and see if it will pass. We pick a high rock formation and observe the sky. We determine the rain is moving away so we decide to just wait. 15 minutes we are back on the bike and the rain was gone. We did hit wet roadway and about 10 sprinkles. We made a good move there. We’re developing and honing good skills.

Sunday morning:
Heidi’s hip is good. We are at a motel in Casper, WY. –Like’n Life!

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:38 PM   #32
m0x
the VooDoo Child

Oddometer: 257
nice v-machine you got back there, and a good report too

m0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:25 AM   #33
Stakei
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Great report! It's good you two are back on the road. Let the adventure begin....
Stakei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:51 AM   #34
Joyseeker
a biking sweetie

Oddometer: 1,119
great start .... at last

1. don't forget the food pics this time.

2. what's the camera?
Joyseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:46 AM   #35
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
What a great update. You guys are hitting your stride.

The first, of no doubt many, front page worthy shots on this trip.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #36
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,747
Good to see you guys started your trip. Too bad about Heidi's hip pain but, glad to see Ibuprofen and rest is working.

Ride Safe,
Hipster
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #37
Oly
Deadlines whooshing by

Oddometer: 8,099
Ride your own ride CaveCouple. Great report.
Oly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #38
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Thumb good riding, camping and a few good pics

Nothing much to report, just a lot of good riding, camping and a few good pics.

Monday:
Just before leaving Casper WY we stopped at a mountaineering store. I was looking for one more Thermorest sleeping pad just like the one we already have. I also wanted a tiny fuel bottle for our camp stove. I don’t like having to dig out the big fuel bottle every time. The store had the exact sleeping pad and fuel bottle. Super! The foam rubber bed pad I was using was old and had lost all its spring. I’m not use to camping in parks and camping areas. Primitive camping I choose tall grass or soft sand to sleep on. In a park you have an area to put your tent, usually hard as a rock. Thermorest pads are super pricy but do a heck of a job, pack up super small and weight only 13 ounces. I suck it up and pay the bill, happy knowing I will sleep better. Also this will give Heidi my old foam rubber pad on top of her Thermorest pad. Hopefully this will help prevent a mutiny. All this camping is new to Heidi and she is having a hard time at night. Like a captain of a lifeboat, I must take ultimate care of my crew. The success of the journey depends on it.

Casper to Shoshone:
This is a desolate part of Wyoming. We pulled over at a famous site where American Indians would stampede Buffalo over a cliff as a means of hunting, Hell’s Half Acre. I had to check this place out. My father being part Native American made me aware of such practices. I know he would be thrilled I visited the place.

Cody WY:
We were heading straight toward Cody WY, that’s the home of sierratradingpost.com, a website where we purchased a lot of our gear. I needed a new pair of mountain running shoes, the pair I ordered from them are a half size too small and my feet aren’t liken it. Hiking is going to be a big part of this trip. We both need good foot gear. Anyway, I found the perfect shoe, I call them white mans moccasins. They’re a type of sandal hiking shoe, not a lot of cushion but a good grip on the bottom and are super light weight. Heidi questions my call with the light weight hikers. I assure her this is the shoe made for me. We will see.

Boysen State park:
Just north of Shoshone WY are a number of reservoirs with camping. We hit the first, Boysen state park. It felt a little primitive. We were use to South Dakota state parks with nice showers. The first place we put our tent up was nice and close to the water but we soon noticed ants were everywhere; on the ground, on the picnic table, on our stuff. Heidi takes a short hike up the beach and shouts back “There are no ants over here!” We both take a longer hike and find an even better spot. It was secluded on the beach and had shade. When we marched back up the beach to start moving camp we found the outside of our tent covered with ants. I pick up the tent and haul it to our new spot. We theorized why all the ants were at the first site. That first place was close to the boat launch and is probably one of the most popular sites. With that includes all the food and crumbs. Anyway, no ants at our new camp and we are happy.

The weather here was perfect, warm and dry. I love waking up early while camping. Making coffee, reading and watching the sun rise, mmm…

Heading for Yellowstone:
We are shooting for the Yellowstone park northeast entrance. This entrance was closed last time I rode here, it is supposed to be a great ride.

There are a lot of great places to pull off the main road here and explore. Heidi seems a little nervous about the roads I take her down. I go super slow. She keeps quiet.

Great chillen spots.

We provision in Cooke city. It’s a nice little mountain tourist town but not much else.

We camp just a few miles from the park entrance in Montana, Gallatin National Forest. Nice spot right next to a creek and isolated from other campers, just the way we like it.

The next morning was cool but it got comfortable as soon as the sun came out. We ate a primitive camp breakfast of oatmeal, caned black beans, V8 juice and coffee. I’m loving it Big-Time. Heidi looks deep into my eyes as if she is saying “What the H did I get myself into?”

We suit up wearing long-johns under our leather. It felt good starting out but as soon as we entered Yellowstone Park it started getting colder.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #39
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Talking Yellowstone Park:

Yellowstone Park:

After entering the park we finally find a nice spot to pull over without tons of people. The stream was a steep hike from the road but it was a great spot to chill and look over the Yellowstone map.

Cruising Yellowstone Park: O Yeah….

From the 1988’ Yellowstone fire: Eerie but it was cool seeing all the new growth. We thought the pines should have been taller by now. It must be the high altitude that makes them grow slow.

Geysers and weird colored sulfur pools are all over the place, so are the people. We didn’t think there would be so many people at this time of year. We think about what the crowds would be like in July.

Lots of wildlife to see, for-sure that’s one reason Not to miss Yellowstone Park.

You have to personally experience the people frenzy sensation when wildlife is seen by the road in Yellowstone. It reminds me of a shark feeding frenzy or something. People are nuts! Sometimes there is nothing to see but rangers have to stop and direct traffic because of the hysteria. Cars are parking everywhere and anywhere. People are running with their cameras, binoculars and telescopes. A lot of pointing. Some claim they see antlers, most claim they see nothing.

The plan was to camp in the park and do a day of hiking. But with the crowds and the much cooler temperatures we decided to just enjoy the day cruising the park and camp in lower elevations, where it’s warmer….. Heidi and I seem to share the same brain when it comes to making ‘on the fly’ course changes. How long can this last?

This park is long, over a hundred miles the route we took and a lot of riding is 30 MPH. This makes for a long day of riding and we were getting cold. We make it to the south entrance of the park late in the day, the north entrance of Grand Teton national park.

cavebiker screwed with this post 08-30-2007 at 07:46 AM
Old 08-29-2007, 12:03 PM   #40
britman
Britman

Oddometer: 279
You are taking some bloody good photographs

I especially like the ones of the camp areas you are finding.
britman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #41
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Laugh Grand Teton National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyseeker
great start .... at last

1. don't forget the food pics this time.

2. what's the camera?
Hey Joyseeker! food shots ->
The cameras: Compact- Nikon Coolpix L5, 5M pix, X3 zoom ~$95
Good lens- Olympus C-765, 4M pix, X10 zoom ~$225

I like the compact camera but don’t like that it doesn’t have a view finder. I love the Olympus for low light shots.

================================================== =
Grand Teton National Park:

We couldn’t just blast through the Tetons, they were too beautiful. We need at least a day here. We ride down a side road and to Signal Mountain camp ground. One sweeet spot indeed.

Ya want food shots. Here ya go…Sour dough bread, cheese, fresh jalapenos on mine, a can of beans, freeze-dried fruit and of course cocktails. All this with a view of the Tetons. Life is good.

We have a lake about 200 yards from our tent. It’s about 4 or 5 miles long with hiking along the entire shoreline. The shore was covered with large rocks and made for tough going but the vistas were unreal and well worth it.

Check It Out:

I Like This One….

And This One….

Old 08-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #42
bike4ever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Nice Pictures!

Cave,

Just wanted to echo the earlier comments! Very nice photo's! I swear you get better with every trip. Some of those photo's were front page material.

And congrats on continuing to find some very fine camping spots. You have the knack. Glad to hear that you and Heidi are finding your groove on the camping and traveling.

Hipster is also somewhere in Wyoming, though he may be headed to Glacier.

Thanks for posting and letting us know you're alive. Now back to the show!

Dave
bike4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:01 AM   #43
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Wink

The next morning was cold but clear and bright. Someone said it was down to 35 Deg. last night. We are struggling to stay warm with our light weight sleeping bag arrangement.

Waking up here we smell pine trees and fresh mountain air. Heidi and I are really into the mode now. We’re eating healthy, exercising every day and celebrating life, especially the life we have together right here and now.

Of course with all of this I was feeling large and boasted that I’m going for a swim. Heidi says “I gotta see this!” and grabs the camera (We’re at about 7,600 feet)

When you jump into a high mountain lake like this don’t try to turn around and say something smart to the people on shore because all that will come out are short high pitch little words “…..this……..is……nice……”

I did get my breathing under control and swam a little. I feel good. I’m getting back to my old cocky self. Being physical all day, reading, spending time with Heidi, this is the life we have dreamed about. On the road I feel like a pioneer traveling west to start a new life using just the tools we can carry. We will prevail. We will find a new way to live, a new way to love.

That morning was cold. We started out riding with full long-johns and down under our leathers.

More Tetons:

We blasted through Jackson Hole WY on our way to Rock Springs which is near Flaming Gorge national park. We stopped for gas and picked up some lunch food. It was hard to find a good spot to stop for lunch. We finally did find an excellent place.

We stopped for a small storm that raced across the sky in front of us. About ten minutes is all it took. We could see the rain was past where we were going. We did hit some wet roadway and got a little muddy.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:34 AM   #44
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebiker
We will prevail. We will find a new way to live, a new way to love.
bravo!!!!! .....safe travels, and thanks for taking us along !

freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #45
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEFLOW
bravo!!!!! .....safe travels, and thanks for taking us along !

That was exactly the line I was going to quote.