User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #751
spaceman spiff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
what a great trip and report

been following since page 3-you two have the bestest advertures!! sorry to hear about the sporty-got a soft spot in my heart for them, although that would not have been my choice for this trip. Glad you guys are safe and thankyouthankyouthankyou for including the rest of us in your travels!!
spaceman spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:52 AM   #752
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer: 444
no,no,no,no,no,no,
you've got to get it fixed guys!
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:41 AM   #753
bosco
Raybanned

Oddometer: 11,596
Ka-Freak'n-Boom

Where's the northern bus route headed?

Old 07-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #754
misterk
8 seconds

Oddometer: 51
The adventure continues

Sorry to hear about your break down. But I am 100% certain as resourceful as you guys have been and are, this will be nothing but an added twist to the excitement. Thanks again for the ride report. Cant wait to hear how you reasponded through all this.
misterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #755
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Wink

Sweet, we finally made it to Xalapa. The first two hotels we checked were way over our budget. Both are on the main road running through downtown and we guessed the price would be high. Next we started to search the side streets. It wasn’t long before Heidi yells out “Hotel!” We are set. $38 a night and blocks from the central zone.

OK, not much to say. Just another beautiful colonial Mexican city, the type Heidi and I enjoy exploring on foot. Let’s go…...

Center of town (Centro) .

Gas in Mexico is under $3.00 a gallon. I can see why some people don’t want the gas industry to be privatized in Mexico.

This is Mexico. Nobody is getting out of line here.

Street musicians play every day here.

The city center sits high on a hill.

The central park is big, beautiful and clean.

Local cool dudes.

We find a street market.

Interesting treats.

I go off solo one day and stop at a cocina econominico (economical dinner) I get a large bowl of noodle soup to start. Next, all this food comes including a glass of juice. The stack of steaming hot tortilla was two inches thick, $2.70.

Allie Centro; this is where Heidi and I like to sit at a coffee shop to talk and watch the world go by. This ally is lined with coffee houses and restaurants. Stands are set up selling beads, jewelry, stuff and whatever. I bought an awesome T-shirt here. No, I mean it….

We’re glade we visited Xalapa.

================================================== =================

Back On the Road:
Almost every night and every day we have experienced torrential rains. We extended our stay in Xalapa a couple of days hoping for a reprieve from the rain. The Last day here we had only light sprinkles so we were confident tomorrow is the day to ride. The whole state of Veracruz and others near Mexico City are experiencing bad flooding. We had plans to check out other locations people recommended to us but with all the flooding and rain we decided to ride for the east coast then head north toward the U.S. border. The plan then is to regroup in Wisconsin for a couple of months before heading down to South America.

Heidi suits up in her rain gear right away. She says”Don’t you think its going to rain!” She balks at my optimism. The skies looked dark in the direction we’re riding. I’m sure Heidi is going to be the smart one today, again.

It wasn’t long before my rain gear goes on. And it wasn’t long after that, it was raining so hard Heidi gives me the ‘single jabs’ signal meaning ‘we gotta’ pull over. She was right, it was difficult to see. We were lucky again. This gas station was in just the right spot. We waited until the rain was down to steady and light before taking off again. It cost us maybe 15 or 20 minutes. We see this as a small price to pay for the added safety.

The rains lessened the further south we rode. We finally made it to the Emerald coast village I remembered from another ride. There are a lot of hotel options here. We think we found the best beach hotel in town. $40 a night,

The people who run and own this hotel are real pleasant and friendly. The grandmother directs me to park the bike right in front of their house under this awning.

We are four blocks from the main city beach. This is a paradise in our book.

City beach.

The first photo he didn’t think he had enough shrimp in his hand. He grabs more and poses. He has a scale on the ground and is loading this pan full of shrimp and selling them to the restaurant.

We get a plate of Mexican snacks included with our margaritas today. Can ‘dig it’.

Nice view of the tropical bay.

There’s a small fishing boat coming in. A white heron slowly flaps into flight.

The fisherman studies the location hard before he sets his net.

The Emerald coast is great. We celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary here. We can’t believe it’s been that long. This also marked ‘one year’ from when we started the ride. ‘Way’ cool….

Tomorrow we are gunning for Ciudad Victoria. It will be a long day and ride. From there it’s a half a day to the US border. It looks like smooth sailing.

The Ride Continues………………….
================================================== ====================================

Cavebiker, scabbing off a ‘Days Inn’ wi-fi signal on way to Mexico.
My mistress awaits, I will pick her up and carry her home.

www.JustAdventureTravel.net

cavebiker screwed with this post 08-14-2008 at 08:06 AM
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:31 AM   #756
misterk
8 seconds

Oddometer: 51
and then.........
misterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:47 AM   #757
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastork1
and then.........

Tune in next week for the climactic conclusion to this catastrophic cliffhanger with: CAVEBIKER-iker-iker-iker...

Personally, I can't wait!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:10 PM   #758
roninwva
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
I find it hard to believe that the sporty gave up the ghost in such a dramatic fashion. After riding Harleys for over 20 years (my current bike has 98000 miles on her), I've never heard of one blowing like that, at least not one ridden on the street. Good luck to you guys and hope you can finish the trip, as I've been reading since the beginning and the pics and stories are first class.

CMA
PGR
HOG
91 FLHTC
04 Kodiak 450
06 Wee-Strom
roninwva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #759
Lastsix
a.k.a. Rainman

Oddometer: 35
This is kinda like the ending of "Lord of the Rings" ...

Just curious...how many miles did you have on the Sporty and were you using synthetic oil?

I'll be looking forward to your future adventures...
Old 07-23-2008, 12:07 AM   #760
nailit2em
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Sorry we did not meet up on CR

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Wish we would have met up in CR. I would have met a legend and her husband!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:00 AM   #761
papajoe
Primetime Adventurer

Oddometer: 7
no news - good news?

Hey guys, since we have not heard from you all, we hope you made it out of S.TX before Dolly came in?
My last HD blew up like yours on the way home from a tour of the Rockies, it was a costly fixer upper and had to basically change out the engine due to the internal damages.
papajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #762
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 658
Thumb

great thread, cavebikers. love the story & pics.

HDs aren't the only engines to catastrophically fail in that manner; i had a honda 650 nighthawk blow up just like that. tossed a rod through the engine case, oiled up my boot on the way out.
fortunately, i was only a few blocks from home.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #763
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Eek

Yep, again I hit it just right and meet Hurricane Dolly head-on. I should be at the border right now but that’s where Dolly’s eye is. It sounds like fun but that’s flash flood country down there. No thanks, I can wait.

Catastrophic is the word. That’s the title of the next report: “Catastrophic Engine Failure in Mexico” I have time to work on it now. I Will get out the particulars then.

Cavebiker, waiting out Hurricane Dolly in southern Texas. Arggg……….

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #764
calvic
Older but Not Wiser

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninwva
I find it hard to believe that the sporty gave up the ghost in such a dramatic fashion. After riding Harleys for over 20 years (my current bike has 98000 miles on her), I've never heard of one blowing like that, at least not one ridden on the street. Good luck to you guys and hope you can finish the trip, as I've been reading since the beginning and the pics and stories are first class.
I had 3 circa 1965-1969 Sportsters......never got more than 30k out of
a lower end. I sure the newer ones a good for a few more miles.
calvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #765
KWJeeper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Eek

Thanks for the trip Cavecouple. I started reading it when you were headed to Vegas and have enjoyed the ride. I now want to ride into Mexico when I grow up. The pic's are outstanding. Can't wait for the S America ride.
I just have to say my 02 Harley has 72k on it and has been in all lower 48 states and Canada without any problems with the lower end, a push rod did come loose in Georgia that I fixed on the side of the road. A friend of mine had 92k on his completly stock 03 HD before he sold it. You just had a bit of bad luck with yours.

If you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride. ~Author Unknown
KWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote