Oddometer: 6,527
Waiting for the next episode...

Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #797
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
holy cow

I'm learning tons on your mishap. Are you home? Thanks for the updates.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #798
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
hey Cavey & Mrs Cavey

thanks for the great report. very informative and great pictures, really opens your eyes to the big wide world we have out there, also makes ya think how important that lady ya take for granted every day is to ya.

Hope ya get ya Hog sorted and all he best from NZ

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #799
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,278
Thumb

Along with many others, I've been with you every step of the way...and enjoying every minute of it. The main thing is that you and Heidi are OK, even if the bike is not. If it can't be fixed, it will be replaced & you good folks will continue on.

Looking forward to it Thanks for all you have done.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:10 AM   #800
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #801
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
awesome! The suspense...
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:17 PM   #802
pistol777
Freedom Seeker

Oddometer: 323
Man what a trip. Been following it everyday. Buenos Suerte and start it all over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pistol777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:04 PM   #803
jposttx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Thumb +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon
Along with many others, I've been with you every step of the way...and enjoying every minute of it. The main thing is that you and Heidi are OK, even if the bike is not. If it can't be fixed, it will be replaced & you good folks will continue on.

Looking forward to it Thanks for all you have done.
Let me add my thanks - and my 883 is just dying to know what happened...
I have been elsewhere but nowhere else is Texas - I cannot save - Jesus is the Savior I cannot solve or even understand most problems - God solves all problems I can serve so I will - paraphrased rom Mark Driscoll
jposttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #804
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Wink

Continued:

It was getting late and 4 or 5 buses have just blasted past us without stopping. Finally a bus did stop. We jump on for Reynosa Mexico, $12. OK!

Reynosa. I’m not too happy to be at a bus station with our bike sitting in some barn in Mexico. But, at this point we are glad to have made it this far in one day and still have daylight to spare.

Bus tickets to Chicago in hand, ‘sweet as honey’. Horseshoe label Tequila, ‘smooth as silk’. Not applying enough sun lotion, ’big mistake’.

Tues AM: Cavegirl and Cavebiker are felling emotional, ‘we have gone so far together……………….’

We each have a couple tacos from a street vendor before getting on our bus. Reynosa Mexico to Mc Allen Texas, Mc Allen to Dallas, Dallas to Chicago. We arrive in Chicago by 11:30 PM the next day. We are fried. In Chicago we get a ticket to Milwaukee. While getting close to Milwaukee the bus driver announces the next stops, Tomah and Eau Claire. Eau Claire is the closest we can get to Hayward by bus, it’s just 100 miles.

Heidi gets off the bus in Milwaukee at 2:30 AM, I stay on to Eau Claire. I arrive at 7:00 AM. I buy a bottle of water and sunscreen. I walk down a rural road, far away from anything trying to look like I’m in need of help. An hour and a half later I get a ride up to the main highway, near a hotel. I walk into the hotel and ask the receptionist if she has a box I could have. She comes back with a box top, perfect. Next she hands me a big magic marker to make my sign. On one side I write “Rice Lake” and the other side I write “Spooner” In a half an hour I get a ride to Rice Lake. There, I walk across the road to the on ramp and the first vehicle picks me up for Spooner. This ride drives me a few extra miles down the road. I could walk from here if I had to. I get a ‘Rock Start’ coffee drink then ask a guy to please take a photo. He tried so hard to get the perfect shot. People are so nice.

From here I get another quick ride from a young woman and her black lab. She was camping in southern Wisconsin doing biology experiments with her dog. Now I only had a 6 mile hike to the cabin. I am fired up for the hike. It’s through county forest and back roads and it’s my backyard. The last few miles I hiked through rain and thunderstorms. The walk up the driveway was surreal. I go on autopilot and start connecting up all the plumbing fixtures and the water pump. I have a gallon and a half of fresh water to prime the pump and get the water going, No Problem…...

My buddy Rick stops by. We discuss my situation and what I gotta’ make happen down in Mexico. Rick is a master carpenter and in my opinion a master mechanic. He says “You have to come over tomorrow with the trailer so we can take the hubs off” Rick has always been there to help, advise or rally behind me. He is also a great adventurer himself buying old yachts in California, living on them while totally redoing and selling them. How cool is that! He tells me to come over early and we’ll all have breakfast. The world is full of nice people.

Rick makes room in his new garage.

Don stops by to show off his new tractor and to help Rick do some landscaping. Nice rig…….

The last bearing was a bugger to get off but Rick dove down with a hammer and chisel and five minutes later had that thing off. “This bearing is loose and the seal is gone” Rick says. I drive into Hayward and pick up new bearings and seals for both wheels.

Rick and Don are off playing in the sand with the tractor. I clean the hubs and races and jam grease in the bearings with my fingers as best I could. I put everything back together just like it came apart. The bearing that was hard to get off was hard to get on. Ten minutes with a hammer and chisel did it. Oh yeah, this is fun!

Our good friends Cindy and Rick who always come to our rescue.

New trailer bearings, new engine oil, new wipers, I checked all the tires. I am a ‘Go’ for the recovery mission to Mexico starting tomorrow morning…..

The adventure continues……..

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #805
Lastsix
a.k.a. Rainman

Oddometer: 35
Great adventure...looking forward to the movie...
Old 08-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #806
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,293
Old 08-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #807
calvic
Older but Not Wiser

Oddometer: 300
I love this shit!
calvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #808
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,202
Sorry for you problem!!

I've been following you RR since before you left. This is an adventure? Right? Get that baby fixed and get back on the road! Does the total rebuild by The Company for $2,000 extend to your bike?

Keep it up!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #809
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Good luck and God Bless. I'm mobilizing for Iraq and have a year to go on my adventure before I'm home....I stumbled on your thread three days ago and have been reading it every spare second.

I'm far away from home and the things I love...and being "alongside" you, fastforwarding from your departure in 2007 up until today has given me a bit of home. I'm an Army guy, yes--and a motorcyclist--a traveller--but home is where the heart is. And that's far.

I've been moved and instructed...and confirmed by your report. I look at this year away from my wife, (her name is Heidi also) and my 2 girls and I've had to say to myself, "accept...accept...embrace" to keep on track for the things I must do. Your report has really helped that...this last week has been rough...discovery of your RR timely...telling myself: do not resist the adversity, the hard situation, the discomfort...embrace it and experience it...make it yours---that is what I've had reaffirmed over the last three days...I'm full of gratitude.

I'll be pulling for you...it's still warm enough to fix Fraulein Sportster and get her back south in time to hit the S. American spring, eh? I sure hope so.

Godspeed friends. And no need to respond to this...I think that you work hard to answer all...it's all good. Just be well and know all our thoughts are with ya'...wish I could help with more.

MoBill screwed with this post 08-02-2008 at 11:04 AM
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #810
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,102
que te vaya super bien y que puedas recoger tu moto sin mas dificultades...suerte!!
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote