Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2011, 05:37 AM   #1201
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Tom is truly lucky to have a woman like Heidi, letting him take off for 10 days exploring the DR with me.

Thank you Heidi, your the best
Hipster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #1202
bike4ever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Thanks for the report

What can anyone say, except gorgeous pics and a great report, as usual.
bike4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:17 AM   #1203
Luna Tique
dreamer of adventure

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike4ever View Post
What can anyone say, except gorgeous pics and a great report, as usual.
I agree
Thank you

www.twowheelfemales.com
Luna Tique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #1204
cavegirl
Girl on the Go

Oddometer: 21
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
Tom is truly lucky to have a woman like Heidi, letting him take off for 10 days exploring the DR with me.

Thank you Heidi, your the best
You are more than welcome Coulter
Actually, I want to thank you for coming here and giving me a break. It was nice to have someone else for Cavebiker to boss around!

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #1205
cavegirl
Girl on the Go

Oddometer: 21
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rous44 View Post
Almost got that bikini shot........

Hey, I'm not as young as I use to be! It is taking me awhile to get my bikini body in top form. Stay tuned

cavegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #1206
someday adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I've been lurking here for some time and have read several trip reports. This one........ TOP KNOTCH!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Someday, I'll post my own, but for now, I must live vicariously through you
someday adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #1207
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Let's hear it for the Hipster Pit Crew Mama!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #1208
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavegirl View Post
Hey, I'm not as young as I use to be! It is taking me awhile to get my bikini body in top form. Stay tuned

.........Lovin' the report! Really nice job...Thanks once again.
'83 Yamaha Venture- Gone
'78 Suzuki GS 750- Gone
WaywardSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:29 AM   #1209
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Cool2 Heidi & Tom’s Dominican Republic Guagua Adventure

While I am writing up our latest motorcycle adventure, I figure I would post this little side adventure of ours, just for the fun of it. Enjoy…

Heidi & Tom’s Dominican Republic Guagua Adventure

We walked up to the main road to stand and wait for a guagua. A guagua is the local transportation using minivans which are privately owned. All you have to do is stand by the side of the road and wait for one to ride by. The signal for them to stop is holding your arm straight out, flopping your hand up and down with your palm facing down. The signal for them to not stop, is holding your arm down to your side, shaking your hand back and forth with your palm facing down.

Local traffic

We jump in the guagua. We have counted over 25 people crammed inside them. It is comical at times. People are contorted forward, backwards and sideways to fit inside. Sometimes I have stood outside the van holding onto the roof while riding along.

Today we are riding to Puerto Plata, just for the fun of it. Puerto Plata is a large city along the north Atlantic coast. We sometimes go there just to shop, sometimes just for breakfast and sometimes just for the fun of it.

Heidi is not quite as comfortable in a guagua as I am. This guagua has an old lamp cord tied to the vans door to hold it open. Heidi holds on for dear life so she doesn’t fly out.

Puerto Plata City Park

Puerto Plata’s central park. This is where we usually get off. It is a 35 mile ride here from Cabarete and costs us each 45 pesos, around $1.20. One of our favorite bar restaurants for breakfast is just a few blocks from here as is the ocean side boulevard/Malecon.

Heidi picked up a beach wrap, called a sari.

We stop for a bloody-Mary breakfast. ‘Sam’s place’ is an ex-pat hang out. We have met many characters here in the past.

Walk to the Malecon

After, we take a walk along the Malecon, seaside boulevard.

Fishing with just a line and hook.

Fort San Felipe is at the end of the Malecon. The Spanish constructed it in 1540 as a defense against corsairs. It was also used as a prison for smugglers.

Puerto Plata harbor

Walk along the Malecon

The Malecon is lined with little bar restaurants every half a kilometer or so.

We stopped for a beer and to watch all the action on the beach

Kite surfing is a popular activity here. Today the wind was just right.

Kite launch area

On a good gust, we have seen kiters fly twenty feet into the air. Crazy!

We stopped at another small restaurant along the Malecon. Here we were given free fried fish with onions and fried plantains, super.

Walking along the Malecon we stopped to look at this platform. Someone standing nearby told us that these guys are fishing for big fish.

Big fish! I guess.

Local craftsmen

We are back on a guagua heading home.

This guagua is starting to fill up

We got off the guagua in Los Charamicos, a small Dominican village near Sosua beach.

Before catching a final guagua back to Cabarete, we stopped at one of my favorite chicken restaurants.

That one looks good

Fried chicken, platanos and a beer. Another good day in the DR.

cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:34 AM   #1210
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by someday adv View Post
I've been lurking here for some time and have read several trip reports. This one........ TOP KNOTCH!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Someday, I'll post my own, but for now, I must live vicariously through you
Thanks a ton ‘someday adv’. We are always honored when someone signs up to ADV and makes their first post to our thread. Welcome to the asylum! We look forward to reading about your adventure, someday

Old 02-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #1211
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Thumb

Thank goodness...I was afraid I'd killed the thread

Good to see you both back out and enjoying yourselves. You are truly living the dream...thanks for sharing.
'83 Yamaha Venture- Gone
'78 Suzuki GS 750- Gone
WaywardSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #1212
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post
Thank goodness...I was afraid I'd killed the thread

Good to see you both back out and enjoying yourselves. You are truly living the dream...thanks for sharing.
No way WaywardSon, we both loved your previous post

And thanks for the comments

Old 02-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #1213
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Wink Dominican Republic Ride Report Continued:

Cavegirl & Cavebiker do Punta Rucia

OK, Hipster and I stumbled across this beach, Punta Rucia, on our ride last week. It is one of the most idyllic beaches ever. The water is turquoise, calm and perfect for swimming plus, the beach is lined with over twenty lobster shacks. Heidi has been craving lobster and I thought this beach had her name on it. The only problem was that the roads Hipster and I rode into and out of the area were severe, water crossings and all. I told Heidi about the lobster, I told her about the beach. She said

‘Lets go!”

Of course, with everyday that passes my memory of how bad the roads are fade. To me, the road was fantastic, fantastic for one person riding a 125cc enduro motorcycle, not for a passenger on the back of that bike. All that flashes through my brain are visions of making love on the beach, eating lobster and swimming in turquoise waters.

We made plans to ride out on Sunday, I figure that will give us the best chance for a vacancy at the one hotel in the area, and the beach should be less crowded. Saturday morning we were preparing to ride to the gym when I came up with the great idea.

“Lets take off now! We could ride half way and spend the night somewhere on the road”

Heidi was all over that. I love how we can make ‘on the fly’ plan changes. She is definitely a ‘dream girl’ in my book. Anyway, I knew of a nice hotel in Navarrete, a little less then halfway to Punta Rucia. The hotel has a restaurant on site complete with cloth napkins and all. Sounds good. We pack up and go.

The ride to Navarrete was uneventful. We arrived in Navarrete around 2:00 PM. After checking into our $28 room, we noticed a large swimming pool in the back. The pool was blasting music and serving beer and food poolside. We put on our suits and head out. A waiter came over to us right away and wiped down our lawn chairs and table. We ordered two ice-cold beers and proceeded to play cards. Throughout the afternoon groups of families, adults and young people filtered in. There is a huge open-air seating area adjacent to the pool and dozens of tables and chairs surrounding the pool. The area could seat close to a hundred people. Everyone is there to eat and drink and some are there to swim also. People are required to purchase a wristband if they are there to swim and are not staying at the hotel. The scene is very Latino, families and young people, eating, drinking, and just being together. Everyone swimming wore either a t-shirt or shorts. Some had bathing suits underneath. It was fun being in the middle of and part of all the action, People were dancing, swimming and chasing each other around and in the pool, talking and laughing. There are no tourists in Navarrete. This is the real Dominican Republic. It was a refreshing feeling to us compared to the sleaze and corrupt feeling of the tourist-clogged villages, Cabarete and Sosua.

Hold on, much more to come…

Old 02-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #1214
muskieken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
just siting here in the northeast blizzard. wishing i was someone place warm
thanks for the report.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:56 AM   #1215
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Eh? Dominican Republic Ride Report Continued:

Cavegirl & Cavebiker do Punta Rucia Continued

Yesterday after we rode through Puerto Plata, we climbed up and over the Cordillera Septentrional Mountains. Today we are riding west along the mountain foothills until we reach the dirt road turnoff to Punta Rucia, at which point we will have to ride up and over the mountains again. Cool

Hanging raw meat on the side of the road is a common sight in rural Dominican Republic. This is to attract buyers.

We decided to eat breakfast on the road today. I saw what looked like a roadside cafeteria and pulled in.

This place is huge, next to the counter is a dance section lined with tables and chairs. Giant speakers were blaring music. There was open seating right in front of the speakers. I first went there to sit but was soon blown back by the volume. We squeezed into a spot at the end of counter. There was a lot of food under the glasses. I tried to order what I thought was scrambled eggs with green and red stuff. It was not scrambled eggs but I ordered it anyway. I also ordered mangu and fried cheese. Heidi ordered a similar plate except she got beef instead of the mystery stuff I ordered that looked like eggs.

It sure looked good but everything was hard like it had been sitting out all night. The mangu usually is soft like mashed potatoes but this stuff was hard and came out in squares. The stuff that looked like eggs tasted like a cross between fish and algae. Heidi said her beef was like grizzly beef jerky. We were hungry but finished less then half. This was the lowest food experience we have had on the island.

This was a weird cafeteria. There were a half a dozen girls sitting behind the counter dressed in tight reveling cloths, some too reveling for their body type. The girls just sat there talking with men who were sitting on the other side of counter drinking beer (at 9:30 AM), an older man was sitting behind the girls at a tall desk, counting out large wads of cash. Heidi and I concluded that these girls were just finishing their shift and all the food sitting out, was left over from last night. Heidi says

“I already feel sick to my stomach”

I say

“Me too! Ahh…!”

At least I got my coffee fix… :|

We ride on through beautiful rural DR. We pass through farmland, rice paddies and banana plantations. The landscape is more arid here then what we are accustomed to along the north coast, but beautiful all the same.

Oh Oh, roadblock. I pulled off the road, turned off the engine and asked what this was about

“?por que?”

It was for some type of community emergency effort. I dig into my pocket and hand over my change with a big smile.

The woman on the left runs over to us and asks the girls above if we gave money

“?dinero?”

They confirmed we gave money. She then smiles at us and says in English

“We thank you”

I love encounters like this…

I try to stop often at small grocery stores called ‘colmado’. We rest our butts, hydrate and talk.

Heidi was giving me major crap about not carrying any water or emergency food snacks yesterday, on our first day. I tried to justify it by saying I knew we were never too far from a village. Heidi comes back with

“Yes, but what if we were in an accident and landed in the ditch! We did not have any water to clean a wound or to stay hydrated while we waited for help! Or any food or candy for energy”

Of course, she was 100% correct. She gives me ‘the look’, the one that says, ‘I am crazy about you, but you better listen’. I love that look.

“And you call yourself a big adventurer. You put us at risk!”

I had to eat it and agree. I kissed her passionately and told her that I loved her like mad, and that I will not do it again.

Where did I find this woman!