User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2007, 03:33 PM   #121
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
Super photos.
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:34 PM   #122
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Thumb Another day in paradise

Our last day in Bahia de Los Angeles was another day in paradise. A slow morning, drinking coffee, reading and watching the sun come up while the fishing boats head out into the bay. A long walk along the beach with Heidi followed by a long brisk swim. Life is good. When I sat in my cubical at work this is the life I dreamed about. My mind is clearing, my eyes see with more contrast and my love for Heidi seems to grow by the hour. How long can this continue? It seems that with every new challenge brings a new high. I throw myself into the darkness of uncertainty and emerge into a new brightness and clarity that says to my soul, you are alive…..

The 5 guys staying next to us who are from East LA come back from a day of fishing around 2:00 PM. Mario landed a 30 pound grouper, Wow! He was more stoked than normal, and that is stoked! Mario had a cooler of marinated carne de asada and boneless chicken on dry ice. He creates a grill on the ground using 2 bricks and a grate. And we had one of the most delicious meals we have ever had. Que Rico!

Mario:

We are invited to join them for dinner along with 2 other guys from California who came here yesterday. Mario comes up to us and stares closely into our eyes and says “If I die from an accident or something today all this food would go to waste. I want to enjoy this food with you and Heidi” He is talking with real passion and feeling. He tells a story of how he was born in Mexico and at age 2 his mother brought him to the US to give him a better life. Man I gotta tell you that if the US was filled with more people like Mario and his family it for sure would be a better place to live.

We are all hanging out drinking, eating, laughing and talking philosophy until we couldn’t drink anymore. Encounters like this are a part of what makes adventure travel great. The guys from East LA refer to Heidi as their sister and make us feel that we made friends for life.

Bahia de Los Angeles, recommended:

================================================== ================

We made it out of Bahia de Los Angeles and to Guerreo Negro without incident. The temperatures were cool the entire ride so we didn’t anticipate any problems with our bike cutting out. This helps confirm our theory of a faulty breaker inadvertently opening when it gets super hot. We like that, to say the least.

The plan was to spend 2 nights in Guerreo Negro, then continue on to Bahia de Concepcion and then Scorpion bay. While typing away we had the TV on and I noticed a weather report saying hurricane Ivo is heading straight to southern Baja, just where we are. In fact the expected landfall looks like Scorpion bay. Well we don’t really want to test our tent out in +75 mile an hour winds on a beach so we are holding up here in Guerreo Negro until the storm passes. We’re in a nice little motel with wireless internet, coffee and HBO plus for $36 a night. Dirty job but we are staying put until the storm passes. :)

www.JustAdventureTravel.net

cavebiker screwed with this post 09-22-2007 at 03:44 PM
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #123
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebiker

A long walk along the beach with Heidi followed by a long brisk swim. Life is good. When I sat in my cubical at work this is the life I dreamed about. My mind is clearing, my eyes see with more contrast and my love for Heidi seems to grow by the hour. How long can this continue? It seems that with every new challenge brings a new high. I throw myself into the darkness of uncertainty and emerge into a new brightness and clarity that says to my soul, you are alive…..
Bingo!

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #124
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
I'm not sure what year they switched from circuit breakers to fuses but, my '03 has them.

Yes, the local HD parts guy told me that 1995 Sportsters have two 15 amp and two 10 amp circuit breakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebiker
Hipster! Are you telling me that HD designed out the 4 breakers and replaced them with 4 fuses on your 03’ sporty?

You told me in an email that my 95’ sporty has 2 15 amp breakers and 2 10 amp breakers. Is this 100% for sure? This is super important because the numbers on my breaker in question is rubber off. Thanks Tom for all the help you have been giving me in emails.
Hipster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:29 PM   #125
BriKielyGSman
BigBadBri

Oddometer: 510
Trip Prep

I just read your trip Prep report as well, it was really good. Do you still own the lake side cabin??

Where did you buy your pack-safe nets?? I know of one supplier here, but they never have the right size or the right amount.

There is nothing worse than sleeping in cheesy cold sleeping bags and then crawling out in the morning and putting on cold clothes for a cold ride......brrrrrrr. I have heard of people putting those hand warmer packets in thier pant pockets to help keep them warm when sleeping. We are brining a few ...just in case. So far though, our down filled bags have done the trick.

Brian and Conchita

BriKielyGsMan's South America Ride Report - Two Up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259451
BriKielyGSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:35 PM   #126
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriKielyGSman
I just read your trip Prep report as well, it was really good. Do you still own the lake side cabin??

Where did you buy your pack-safe nets?? I know of one supplier here, but they never have the right size or the right amount.

There is nothing worse than sleeping in cheesy cold sleeping bags and then crawling out in the morning and putting on cold clothes for a cold ride......brrrrrrr. I have heard of people putting those hand warmer packets in thier pant pockets to help keep them warm when sleeping. We are brining a few ...just in case. So far though, our down filled bags have done the trick.

Brian and Conchita
Hey Brian and Conchita
Thanks for the good words about the prep ride report. It was cool how it all came together. And yes for sure we still have our little cabin in the north woods. The title of our thread “No Return Ticket” refers to the fact that we both had to quit our jobs to do this ride. We have no idea what we are going to do after this ride is over but we do know we are going to try something different and start a new life. We both admire the fact that Conchita also had to quit her job to do your ride and that you supported her. You guys rule.

We bought the pac-safes at REI http://www.rei.com/search?vcat=REI_S...query=pac-safe We have one large and one extra large. The large fits around the tent or sleeping bag stuff sack and the extra large fits around the backpack. I think you are taking off in like 5 days! What we did to get a better down sleeping bag while on the road was pick a motel on the internet in Yuma, AZ while we were in Vegas and have it delivered to the motel in Yuma. The sleeping bag showed up the day after we arrived in Yuma and we were smiling. Just an idea.

Best of luck you two. If there is anything else we can do to help, let us know. Depending on what tropical storm Ivo does to the dirt road to Scorpion bay we may be on mainland Mexico sooner. Maybe see ya in Mazatlan. We can maybe all have some tacos carne de asada with StrikingViking or something.
Cheers,
Tom & Heidi (cavebiker & cavegirl)

Old 09-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #127
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,293
Hey Cavecouple, AWesome ride report and amazing pics, most def. some front page.

Good luck and ride safe and keep us well informed of your travels.

E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:39 PM   #128
cavegirl
Girl on the Go

Oddometer: 21
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-man
Hey Cavecouple, AWesome ride report and amazing pics, most def. some front page.

Good luck and ride safe and keep us well informed of your travels.

Thank you for the kind words and well wishes. It's heart warming to know people are enjoying our travels and supporting us along the way.

cavegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:36 PM   #129
BriKielyGSman
BigBadBri

Oddometer: 510
Cavegirl is posting!!

Hey, it is great to get the story from both sides, that way we know that we are not being BS'ed by the Cavebiker!!

Welcome to the group Cavegirl!!!

You just gave me a great idea about the pack safe nets----we are staying overnight in Vegas. We have a room booked alreay. Could have the nets shipped there. Thanks for the link.

As far as the Viking goes, sounds like he wil not be around when we roll through there around Oct 8th. It would have been perfect to meet you guys and Glen as well in Mazatlan.

It sounds like you guys will be taking things a little slower paced than us, so we should be able to catch up to you. After copper canyon, we don't have any route planned, so we are flexible.

I am happy to hear that you kept the cabin. It looks like a cozy little place. One day I hope we can do what you guys are doing. It doesnt seem all that far fetched either. Maybe after this little 10 week trip.....??

B and C

BriKielyGsMan's South America Ride Report - Two Up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259451
BriKielyGSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #130
cavegirl
Girl on the Go

Oddometer: 21
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriKielyGSman
Hey, it is great to get the story from both sides, that way we know that we are not being BS'ed by the Cavebiker!!

Welcome to the group Cavegirl!!!
Thanks for welcoming me to the asylum This is all new to me, so YFF's be gentle ok? I'll try to call BS whenever I catch cavebiker on one of his rants. Buen viaje to you and Conchita.

cavegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:11 AM   #131
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,682
Breaker Problem!

Hi!

I have a friend that had this same problem for a couple of years with his 2000 FLT. It was the breaker kicking out and resetting after cool down. He said there had been a recall on one or more models for this problem, but not the FLTs. A new breker was less than $10. He found the problem just after ordering a new 2004 partly due to this very problem! Good luck!

Donnie
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #132
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Eh?

Hey all, again thanks for the help and input. My buddy hipster was trying hard to find out what breaker did what on my bike, I have 4 of them under the seat. I didn’t want to just replace all of them with fuses I just wanted to replace the breaker that controlled the ignition. Well, I bought a handful of fuses, 10amp and 15amp. Before installing them I did an experiment to see which fuse killed the engine. To my horror I discovered that the only breaker that would kill the engine also controlled the starter motor. The reason I’m freaking here is because the first time the engine quit outside of Yuma I tried the starter switch just before coasting to a stop. I think the starter turned over a little fickled but I do think I remember it Did Turn Over. Well if this is the case and the breaker didn’t just reconnect at that moment this would mean Its Not The Breaker. Ahhh! It just seems like I’m getting some type of divine help here. If my buddy hipster would have been able to tell me which breaker controlled the ignition I would have never tried this experiment and discovered that the ignition and the starter motor share the same breaker. So now I’m back to thinking it is something else. (Ignition sensor?) Yesterday we were at a taco stand waiting for some food. A surfer dude came in to also and ordered food. We started talking and I mentioned our bike problems. He comes back with a story about his truck killing when it got super hot but would start back up after a long cool down. It ended up to be the ignition sensor. Wow, what are the chances of that, where did this guy come from? This is a common problem on BMW’s, blueglide88 thinks this is our problem. I am one lucky dude. Without all this help I would have no idea what the problem would be if it’s not the breaker. Several friends and inmates here have told me of a HD shop in Cabo San Lucas. Well it’s a dirty job but we decided that after Scorpion bay we are heading to Cabo to have the HD shop order an ignition sensor for us and probably have them install it also. Hipster says it’s a $120 part in the US, I’m sure it will be $250 down here (Ouch!) but if we get this problem solved here it will be worth every penny. Thanks again all for all your support and help. AdvRider Rocks!

cavebiker screwed with this post 10-02-2007 at 10:52 AM
Old 09-25-2007, 10:35 AM   #133
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Hey Tom,

I called the HD shop again, the sensor assembly (part #8) is p/n 32400-94 at $44.20 and the trigger rotor (part #9) is p/n 32402-83 at $3.00. This guy said, with a bike that has an intermittent problem with the ignition cutting out it could be either the sensor assembly, trigger rotor, ignition module or the coil. But, he said if your replacing the sensor assembly he would also recommend replacing the trigger rotor, only a $3.00 part.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Hipster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #134
birdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Thumb

The pictures and ride report is wonderful. One can only wonder if we are in the golden age of motorcycle adventure and travel.
It is so nice to be on a mini adventure from a cubicle.
birdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #135
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster
Hey Tom,

I called the HD shop again, the sensor assembly (part #8) is p/n 32400-94 at $44.20 and the trigger rotor (part #9) is p/n 32402-83 at $3.00. This guy said, with a bike that has an intermittent problem with the ignition cutting out it could be either the sensor assembly, trigger rotor, ignition module or the coil. But, he said if your replacing the sensor assembly he would also recommend replacing the trigger rotor, only a $3.00 part.

Hope this helps,

Tom
This helps more than I can put into words (cavebiker cracking up a little) We are so lucky to have friends like yourself.

We are ready to get on the road again, confident we can get the part.

cavebiker screwed with this post 09-28-2007 at 11:05 AM