User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2007, 03:44 AM   #1
spanker OP
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Bleeding F650 brakes w/ABS

My understanding is that bleeding ABS brakes on Beemers is not possible without access to the BMW Motronic "computer." This device allows the tech to exercise the valving inside the ABS modulator, allowing air/fluid to pass through the unit and facilitating a thorough brake bleed. T/F? Is there a work-around? I am dreading the day I swap bars and have to change out the stock front brake line for a longer one; braking that line open will surely require bleeding after the install and the thought of depending on an electronic box to bleed the brake just plain sux. If I could just get away with running a quart of brake fluid through the master cylinder with speed bleeders...............................
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
I've been pondering this myself, as I sit here with a fresh bottle of DOT4 and access to f650.com.

I will say this regarding changing the brake line: If the valve inside the ABS unit isn't open when you do the job, you haven't really taken a risk of getting air inside of it, and so you don't need to open it to get bubbles out. No, I'd say the MoDiTec computer is primarily needed so you can properly flush your brake lines and change all the fluid.

I wonder what those suckers cost...
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Incabiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Have you guys done a thourough search on F650.com?? I remember specifically talking to a few folks on there who changed the brake fluid with out the BMW computer. If you look it will be on there, it can be done.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,512
Perhaps someone here can help

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
There's no definate answer as I recall. Mostly opinion, speculation, and more speculation.

That said, I changed out the brake fluid in my 03 GSabs thumper without any ill effects. I followed the opinions listed in the FAQ and changed by:
1. convensional brake bleed.
2. ride around a bit in gravel, slam on the brakes so the ABS activates.
3. repeat bleed.

The speculation is that by causing the ABS to activate, whatever fluid is stuck in the ABS unit will migrate to the general line during brake modulation. Don't know if there's any truth to the matter, my brakes seem to work just as well, if not a bit better than before.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:35 AM   #6
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Double-You
There's no definate answer as I recall. Mostly opinion, speculation, and more speculation.

That said, I changed out the brake fluid in my 03 GSabs thumper without any ill effects. I followed the opinions listed in the FAQ and changed by:
1. convensional brake bleed.
2. ride around a bit in gravel, slam on the brakes so the ABS activates.
3. repeat bleed.

The speculation is that by causing the ABS to activate, whatever fluid is stuck in the ABS unit will migrate to the general line during brake modulation. Don't know if there's any truth to the matter, my brakes seem to work just as well, if not a bit better than before.
Definitely a matter for speculation. I can see the logic in it, but I'm willing to bet that there's a bit of stale fluid left behind. Of course, unless your existing fluid was so bad that a small percentage of it will ruin all the rest, that shouldn't be much of a problem. Thanks for the info.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,925
i had the dealership change mine this past service, but from here on out i will probably just remove the old fluid from the resevoirs and replace with fresh.

Quote:
I wonder what those suckers cost...
last i heard, more than the bike.

needless dickery
green hell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
hootch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
brake service

I just changed the fluid in my brakes and it was easy. Just run a line from the bleeder screw into a new container of fluid, then bleed as usual. That way you don't get any air in the system. Then take your bike and rock!!!
Work those brakes and get the valves to open up. I noticed a slight darkening in the fluid color after I made the abs system work a number of times. I'm not very bright, but this seemed a cheap way to make the system flush iteself. You should talk to an expert for an informed opinion however.
hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
F650GS with ABS brake bleed

I have not found anything new on this subject and the F650GS with ABS. I dislike the idea of paying or depending upon a shop to do the work. I have a R1150RS with servo ABS and there are directions to using the servo to aid in flushing the system, and it worked. It is a long process, and about 11 bleeds if I remember correctly for a full flush. This was a lot of work about 2 years ago, and this year on the 1150RS we did a minor flush on the lower system only. This is what is recommended by BMW.

But, having spend hours and hours over months looking for an answer this link [google as well as F650.com] is about the best I could find. There must me a way of exercising the valves other than the BMW shop machine, the medtronic [sp].

To add to the confusion, I have a CD with the BMW shop manual and it doesn't mention brake bleeding the ABS.

Is there a main ABS unit like the servo ABS machines?

For reference the F650 and R1150RS are 03, but were bought used. The F650GS I have had for about 16 months -- my wife's bike.

If there is a link, pm or post here. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:02 PM   #10
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,512
If someone does write up this proceedure I can add it to the HoW for all posterity.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
I rung my dealer up about it a while back and they told me that they don't even use the computer to open up the valves.

If you really want to do it, you could try the C'mon diagnostic tool that Jerome built. It can open the valves. I received mine 2 weeks ago and it works brilliantly. Just received a new firmware update as well, so he supports his unit.

http://www.geocities.com/robertosat/cmon.html

http://www.f650.com/phpBB3/viewtopic...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Thx for ABS brake bleed information.

tmotten, Thanks for the informaton about the electronic box that controls the valve. I have glanced at the websites refernece and things seem to get complex quickly at the electronic control with the bike. It will take some time for me to absorb this information.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:38 AM   #13
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,883
Cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten
I rung my dealer up about it a while back and they told me that they don't even use the computer to open up the valves.

If you really want to do it, you could try the C'mon diagnostic tool that Jerome built. It can open the valves. I received mine 2 weeks ago and it works brilliantly. Just received a new firmware update as well, so he supports his unit.

http://www.geocities.com/robertosat/cmon.html

http://www.f650.com/phpBB3/viewtopic...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

This looks very interesting... I couldn't find a price on either web page however?

What's this thing cost?

Thanks!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:01 AM   #14
jdaniele
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
I have flushed my fluid using this method with no problems.

I use a Mighty vac pump to suck out the fluid while filling the resiviour. Just keep pulling till clean fluid comes out. Ride the bike for a week letting the abs come on a few times repeat the process.

Results Originally my fluid was black, on the second bleed it was just a tinge dark. I did a third bleed just to see after another week and it was clean.

The mighty vac is a good multi purpose tool the plastic model is in the 60$ range and works fine. You can use it to adjust your oil level if a bit overfilled too.

Just my .02

Found a cheaper version that should also work fine here

http://www.toolsource.com/brake-blee...b0dj09jto93oh6

"These pretzels are makin me thirsty"

I can't seem to remember why I don't drink anymore.

jdaniele screwed with this post 09-01-2008 at 06:07 AM
jdaniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
weber
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Can air get trapped in the ABS system?

I got a "new" 2007 f650gs about a month ago, and the front brakes felt a bit spongy. Finally got around to bleeding them and I saw some air bubbles leave the system while doing so. I made damn sure I didn't introduce any new air, but after a good flushing the brakes still have that spongy feel. I haven't had the chance to work the ABS yet -- I can hardly get to speed in Atlanta traffic....

Air in the ABS? Will using it free it up? Or do I need to pay a hefty buck for BMW folks to do it right..?

Thanks for the advice,
-Sarah
weber is offline   Reply With Quote