User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
shleppy OP
Shlepdawg on da smoov tip

Oddometer: 605
Talking One last Saddleback ride before it's closed for the season

Minimal rain this year in southern California (the driest year on record) has created some really dry conditions in the local mountains (The Santa Ana Mountains... AKA saddleback mountain). Fire danger is hitting the critical point and "the man" is about to close down all access to our local dirt (the santa ana mountains)... This means no more riding until we get rain

With this potential buzz kill on the horizon I decided...... what the hell.. lets get one more Advrider ride in before things close down

So Saturday July 14th rolled around and a group assembled at the Silverado Cafe in Orange County (same meeting spot as several rides in the past few months.) The forecast was for some pretty hot temps so we got rolling at 8:00 AM to try and beat the heat. We were out for a pretty decent length ride today.. about 80 miles of dirt with 20 or so miles of pavement along the way.

Here's a few maps of where we were headed.

The 1st 1/2 of the ride... Up Silverad canyon / maple springs rd to the main divide. Then left up the main divide to do a clockwise loop through corona and then back up bedford road and over to "4 corners" intersection (named main divide intersection in the map below) where some can bail out.

Here's a map of the 2nd 1/2 that we had planned. This takes us from 4 corners over to Ortega Hwy (Hwy 74)

The whole ride

We had a pretty good mix of bikes showing up for this ride.. KTM 525's, a 950 adventure and a 950 Super Enduro, a few honda XR's, a suzuki DRz400 and DR650, and a couple KLR 650's (yep even one o' them fancy new 2008 models)

A few other guys rolled in just as we were starting to roll out, but they indicated that they needed to wait for one of their buddys who was running late. Our group was already rolling and there were people waiting up the road for us so unfortunately the guys who rolled up a bit late had to hang back while we got rolling. (sorry SquidsLeap.. we'll have to hook up next time). The guys hanging back had all ridden up there before (just the weekend before) and were only going to be able to join us for the first 20 minutes or so (because they were heading on a differerent route) so I don't think it put a damper on their plans.

Here is a shot of the crew that assembled at the meeting point at 8:00 AM.

We got rolling just after 8:00 AM and headed up Silverado Canyon Rd towards the dirt. The first few miles of the ride along silverado canyon are along a winding canyon rd with an awesome tree cover.

The paved road eventually transitions into a fire road with some really cool views along the way.

After about 5 or 6 miles we popped up at a place most people call four corners. We took a short break here before hopping back on our bikes and heading north on the main divide towards Corona. Here is a shot of Mathew (FocalLength) and MotoMickey on the left, and 'T' and rustler on the far right.

Here is Design4d and his 950 adventure along with rbasen and his 3 week old KLR 650 taking in some water at the same spot (4 corners). By this point in the ride the temp was already easily in the 80's.. we were in for a pretty warm day.

The crew took off along the main divide fire road towards Corona (about a 15 mile stretch of rd) and I rode sag at the back of the group. A mile or so down the fire road I came around the corner to see MrMike picking up his bike. He was cruising around one of the corners and his rear wheel washed out. No injuries .... just some spilled fuel on the ground, a bit more "character" added to his body armor, and a charcoal canister flooded with fuel. As many of us know from our own up close meetings with the dirt (translation..crashes) on bikes in California, when those emissions charcoal canisters fill with fuel your bike aint gonna start... and Mikes bike wasn't about to be an excpetion to this rule. No problem.. Mike quickly grabbed some tools and went right to work draining the fuel from the canister. Unfortunately the bike was stull stubborn to start after draining the fuel and no amount of attempts (kick starting or using the magic start button) was going to get it running again. Eventually the battery was dead and we decided to try a bump start it. I gave mike a few pushes towards a small hill and he had his KTM up and running in no time.

While Mike and I were involved in Operation Charcoal Canister, it turns out that there was a bit of fun going on about a 1/4 mile ahead of us up the trail. Mathew (FocalLength) was cruising around a corner and came a bit wide on one of the turns and went to the outside of the turn to use the debris on the perimeter to get him back on track. Apparantly that outside stuff was bit loose. From what I understand he took a bit of a digger and went off the trail and down an embankment and ended up with his wheel wedged between some rocks. With the help of a few other riders he was up and rolling in a few minutes. The bike didn't appear to have any damage so after the dragged his bike back up to the road he was good to go.

A few miles after these two little issues we stopped on the main divide where Bedford Rd connects. Rbasen took a moment to do a little tire pressure adjustments on his new KLR (that's him in the photo below) and we took a short break.

Here is a shot of Dannyg and Mathew at the same rest spot. Not sure what was being discussed here but Mathew must have done something right to get the double thumbs of from Danny

We got rolling again along the main divide towards corona and I took up the sag position once again. Along the way about 412 times I spotted Danny (which I will know refer to as Side Shoot Danny) trying to head up one of the side shoots that paralleled the main route. I think he took almost every single side shoot option along the way.. he was having way too much fun! This particular hill in the photo below turned out to be too loose and steep and he ended up laying it down on the attempt up. (it was much gnarlier in person than in the photo). No harm.. no foul he was up and running right away.

Here is another shot of Side Shoot Danny (DannyG) taking the alternate route.

Around the corner we caught up to Mathew (FocalLength) so I decied to head up ahead of Mathew and Danny (I mean side shoot Danny) while they explored the side trails along the way. I climbed a few of the looser hill sections and looked back and saw nobody for about 10 minutes. I hopped off my bike and was wondering "hey.. where did those two guys go ?)

I doubled back a few miles and found Mathew and Danny just wrapping up a bit of trail side repair. Mathew's rear break caliper had liberated itself from the rear of the swing arm. This was probably caused earlier when Mathew rode off the trail (but nobody noticed). Fortunately Mathew felt a little clunk along the way and stopped before the caliper landed in the rear wheel and was torn off the bike. A few minutes of quick work by Danny and Mathew and we were off again.

A few miles up the road we ran into 'T' who was waiting up for us next to the radar tower.

A minute later Mathew rolled up on his Honda and did a little rear brake testing

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS

shleppy screwed with this post 07-20-2007 at 07:21 AM
shleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
focallength
You're Welcome

Oddometer: 4,734
because you were in the middle of the road!, Id have just run you over but I didnt know the way back.

thanks to all who helped pull my bike up cliff.
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
shleppy OP

Just below the radar tower is "Beeks Place" which is where 'T' (Starchaser), Mathew (Focallength), Side Shoot Danny and Myself (Shleppy) caught up with the rest of the gruop. Beeks place is an old abandoned homestead of some sort with some pretty cool old rock walled structures. We took a short break to down some water. The temps had easily climbed into the 90's at this point in the ride.

From left to right below... MotoMickey rbasen and DannyG

I pulled off my now dust covered goggles and helmet (that's what happens when you eat everyone's dust for a few hours) and had the tell tail marking of "the sag guy"..... a nose covered in dirt .

After a few more minutes we geared back up and headed down skyline rd towards the city of Corona. Skyline is a 5 or 6 mile winding decent with some slightly blind corners so we took it easy on the way down to avoid a head on with any cars that might be coming up (which we did run into a few times)

We all made it down Skyline safely. Here are a few shots of the ADV crew exiting at the bottom of Skyline Rd.

MotoMickey breaking in his new 525 EXC-G

Design4d (Michael) one his KTM 950 SuperEnduro

FMFPunk (Marty) rolling on his KLR

StarChaser (T) and MrMike (Mike) cruising by on 525 EXCs

We eventually hit foothll blvd in Corona and hung a right over to the Chevron station to top off on fuel. We decided not to eat lunch at this point but to get lunch a few hours later when we reached Ortega hwy at the opposite end of the Santa Ana Mountains. I headed inside the Mini mart at the chevron to grab the official AdvRider snack.. yep just as you guessed a snickers bar and water

After refueling a few of the crew needed to head off to take care of other stuff. Pointman0853 headed back home on his 950 adventure and FocalLength headed back to rest up for a long ride the next day.

We then slabbed it about 10 miles to the south over to where bedford rd (a dirt road that would lead us back into the Santa Ana Mountains) intersected with our route. Waiting for us at the bottom were Rustler and DannyG who had decided to double back from our earlier rest spot at Beeks place and take the dirt option to meat up with us for the 2nd half of the ride. (you didn't hear this from me but I think DannyG and Rustler may or may not have been missing a few of the vital parts of their bikes that would make them street legal... apparently these parts had just magically fallen off their bikes at some time as they had no recollection of their disappearance ) Here is Dannyg and Rustler waiting at the entrance to Bedford rd.

Looking up the first part of Bedford Rd (the paved part before it turns to dirt)

We all headed up Bedford Rd back up into the Santa Anas. I think we all ate about 74 lbs of dirt on this ascent.. it was really really dusty. There were countless times when the dust would completely obscure your view and make the trail disappear. You would just have to kind of "use the force" when this happened and hope that things would clear up in a few seconds. About 2/3 of the way up rbasen and FMFPunk (the first two guys headed up who were the only ones who could see) rounded a blind corner and found a huge forest service truck coming their way.. they both safely navigated around the truck but my understanding is that it was a sketchy situation. The rest of us headed up to the same blind corner (even more blind for us due to the dust) and fortunately the forest service truck saw our dust cloud coming and blasted their really loud air horn which gave us a warning of something up ahead on the trail.. even if we couldn't see it yet .

We all made it safely to the top and took a very short break. Hey.. what the? what happened to Rustlers front light assembly? I guess it must have magically fallen off somewhere along the dusty ascent

Here is a shot of Design4D (Michael) trying to run me over on his KTM

Here's a shot of Bob (rbasen) at the Bedford Rd and Main Divide intersetion.

I took a look down at Bob's front wheel and thought I noticed something.. "Um.. hey Bob, did that rim ding come with the new KLR ? (the photo doesn't show it well but there was pretty decent rim ding... )

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS

shleppy screwed with this post 07-19-2007 at 03:32 PM
Old 07-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
shleppy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength
because you were in the middle of the road!, Id have just run you over but I didnt know the way back.

thanks to all who helped pull my bike up cliff.
Yo Matt.. Let me know if my info on your digger was a bit off... just chime in and set me straight

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS
Old 07-15-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
shleppy OP

Where was I.. oh yeah.. we were at the main divide again where it meets the main divide fire road. We doubled back on the main divide to the south over to 4 corners where a few more needed to head back home. 6 of us were left and we decided to continue south on the main divide over the top of saddleback peak and over to Ortega Hwy where lunch was on the agenda.

Here is a shot of what the route is like just before the peak. If you overshoot a corner you're gonna roll for a bit.

About 5 or 6 miles into our ride to the south on the Main divide we hit santiago peak.

At the peak we took the obligitory group photo.. (from left to right .. DannyG, rbasen, Shleppy, FmFPunk and MrMike). Rustler was also with us but is out of the frame.

After the peak we continued south on the main divide for another hour and change over towards Ortega Hwy. It was 90 to 100 degrees out at this point, we were freakin' hot and eager to get some food and a cold drink so we geared back up and headed south.

Here are a couple of shots of how the main divide looks on the way to Ortega Hwy from Santiago Peak (Aka Saddleback mountain). There are lots of loose blind corners on this section, some of which are a bit steep. (The photos below are photos from previous rides showing the mellow sections)

rbasen did some tire traction testing somewhere along the way and found the official lean angle where they would let go . I didn't see the crash but he walked away unharmed with only a few scrathes on his radiator shrouds.

We regrouped on the Main Divide where it meets with the top of the Trabuco Creek single track trail. Here is MrMike and Rustler at this spot.

A few miles later we hit the paved road that would take us to Ortega hwy. the paved road will take you left or right (both of which hit the hwy) but since we were headed to the outlook for lunch we headed out on the left paved section. Here is rbasen, MrMike , FMFPunk and Rustler ready to hit the pavement.

here is a shot of the paved road on the way to ortega hwy. It was a really fun road ....almost no cars and there were some great views

We hit Ortega Hwy and hung a left (east) towards Lake Elsinore. Just before the hwy dives into the city of Lake Elsinore there is a little place clinging to the side of the cliff called the outpost. We stopped off there to grab some lunch. The outpost had some great views of Lake Elsinore below.

Hey.. this place has an area inside where we can eat.. what the hell are we doing out here in this 100 degree heat ?

We headed inside to escape the heat and get some grub.

We sat and BS'd for 20 or so minutes while we waited for some food. Here is a shot of Danny (left) and Bob before lunch arrived.

I ordered up a tastey Ham and Cheese sandwich and washed it down with a cold Pepsi. My sandwich came with a side of potato salad and olives... olives? Yuck!

After being out in the heat all day that Pepsi tated soooooooo good !

We wrapped up lunch and got back on our bikes. At this point I had about 90 miles on the odometer (80 of which were dirt) so I was pretty beat. We had been out for 7 hrs at this point and I needed to get back home so I headed down Ortega hwy to the west. Ortega hwy is one of the best paved road rides in orange county because it's 20 mile long twisty road where none of the turns are below 30mph.. I had a blast headign back home. Bob (rbasen) who had ridden all the way down from Apple Valley on his new KLR to join us headed down ortega to the east. It turns out that the other guys (MrMike, Rustler, FmFPunk and DannyG) doubled back onto the dirt and head back to silverado canyon (where we started) which added on another 20 to 25 miles more of dirt time! Not sure how that part of the ride went (I was too busy cruising towards the coast) but I'm sure they'll chime in with info on that.

Great ride guys.. I had a blast !

A parting shot of Ortega hwy heading to the west.

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS

shleppy screwed with this post 07-19-2007 at 03:39 PM
Old 07-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by shleppy
Just below the radar tower is "Beeks Place" which is where 'T' (Starchaser), Mathew (Focallength), Side Shoot Danny and Myself (Shleppy) caught up with the rest of the gruop. Beeks place is an old abandoned homestead of some sort with some pretty cool old rock walled. We took a short break to down some water. The temps had easily climbed into the 90's at this point in the ride.

From left to right below... MotoMickey rbasen and DannyG

I pulled off my now dust covered goggles and helmet (that's what happens when you eat everyone's dust for a few hours) and had the tell tail marking of "the sag guy"..... a nose covered in dirt .

After a few more minutes we geared back up and headed down skyline rd towards the city of Corona. Skyline is a 5 or 6 mile winding decent with some slightly blind corners so we took it easy on the way down to avoid a head on with any cars that might be coming up (which we did run into a few times)

We all made it down Skyline safely. Here are a few shots of the ADV crew exiting at the bottom of Skyline Rd.

MotoMickey breaking in his new 525 EXC-G

Design4d (Michael) one his KTM 950 SuperEnduro

FMFPunk (Marty) rolling on his KLR

StarChaser (T) and MrMike (Mike) cruising by on 525 EXCs

We eventually hit foothll blvd in Corona and hung a right over to the Chevron station to top off on fuel. We decided not to eat lunch at this point but to get eat lunch a few hours later when we reached Ortega hwy at the opposite end of the Santa Ana Mountains. I headed inside the Mini mart at the chevron to grab the official AdvRider snack.. yep just as you guessed a snickers bar and water

After refueling a few of the crew needed to head off to take care of other stuff. Pointman0853 headed back home on his 950 adventure and FocalLength headed back to rest up for a long ride the rest day.

We then slabbed it about 10 miles to the south over to where bedford rd (a dirt road that would lead us back into the Santa Ana Mountains) intersected with our route. Waiting for us at the bottom were Rustler and DannyG who had decided to double back from our earlier rest spot at Beeks place and take the dirt option to meat up with us for the 2nd half of the ride. (you didn't hear this from me but I think DannyG and Rustler may or may not have been missing a few of the vital parts of their bikes that would make them street legal... apparently these parts had just magically fallen off their bikes at some time as they had no recollection of their disappearance ) Here is Dannyg and Rustler waiting at the entrance to Bedford rd.

Looking up the first part of Bedford Rd (the paved part before it turns to dirt)

We all headed up Bedford Rd back up into the Santa Anas. I think we all ate about 74 lbs of dirt on this ascent.. it was really really dusty. There were countless times when the dust would completely obscure your view and make the trail magically disappear. You would just have to kind of "use the force" when this happened and hope that things would clear up in a few sedonds. About 2/3 of the way up rbasen and FMFPunk (the first two guys headed up who were the only ones who could see) rounded a blind corner and found a huge forest service truck coming their way.. they both safely navigated around the truck but my understanding it was a sketchy situation. The rest of us headed up to the same blind corner (even more blind for us due to the dust) and fortunately the forest service truck saw our dust cloud coming and blasted their really loud air horn which gave us a warning of sometihng up ahead in the trail.. even if we couldn't see it yet .

We all made it safely to the top and took a very short break. Hey.. what the? what happened to Rustlers front light assembly? I guess it must have magically fallen off somewhere along the dusty ascent

Here is a shot of Design4D (Michael) trying to run me over on his KTM

Here's a shot of Bob (rbasen) at the Bedford Rd and Main Divide intersetion.

I took a look down at Bob's front wheel and thought I noticed something.. "Um.. hey Bob, did that rim ding come with the new KLR ? (the photo doesn't show it well but there was pretty decent rim ding... )

my bike is street legal have all the DMV stuff....
Old 07-15-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
MrMike
No self control

Oddometer: 792
Great report

After the stop at the overlook we headed back to the dirt. Rustler lead off, then me about 20 seconds behind, then FmFPunk & dannyg about 4minuets behind me. Since I know this road pretty well I was just hoping to not hold those guys up. I was moving alone as fast as I've ever been over that road. It was great . We only hit a few bikes (a couple of which didn't know that we ride on the right side of the road )and other vehicles so our speed was high. When I reached the towers Rustler was waiting there and then FmFPunk and dannyg a minuet later. We continues on down to the Silverado Cafe and said our goodbuys. I continued on the 20 miles home. I'm glad I was able to continue after my early crash as the ride just kept getting better. My total 194 miles. So that's how it went at the end of the ride.
(If this is not how anyone remembers this last part please correct it as I did hit my head when I fell early on so the rest of the ride may have been a nice dream )
'06 Ktm 950 SM
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Nice report…. I enjoyed the report as much as I enjoyed the ride.
Keep up the good job…
Old 07-15-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
Looks like a great D-S ride, thanks for the pics and report
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
So when are they going to close the area? My buddy and I were just talking about doing this next week. Funny how small the world is, when I saw the first pic of rbasen, Bob used to live in Torrance and our kids went to school togather, so if your reading this, hi Bob!
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #11
2old2race
I wana ride

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson
So when are they going to close the area? My buddy and I were just talking about doing this next week. Funny how small the world is, when I saw the first pic of rbasen, Bob used to live in Torrance and our kids went to school togather, so if your reading this, hi Bob!
Hey Doug, How are you? Small world!! Looks like we're gona have to go ridin

Bob
'08 KLR650
'07 Tiger 1050 - Gone
'98 XR440 - Getting a frame up rebuild
'89 XR250 - Needs a Lic Plate
2old2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:54 PM   #12
motomickey
n00b

Oddometer: 9
The ride was a total blast...as much as could be dreamed for in July. It was great meeting the guys-super group to ride with.
motomickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #13
2old2race
I wana ride

Oddometer: 1,114
Ride Report

Hey Shlep, great job with the ride report!! Really adds a finishing touch to the ride. I had no idea my sport of choice could be made more fun than it already is. I lied on Saturday and said I've been riding for 30 years, with a little math I figure it's closer to 40 years and I can't remember a better bunch of guys to hang with. Hey Mike, glad for once I was not the oldest guy out there!!

Bob
'08 KLR650
'07 Tiger 1050 - Gone
'98 XR440 - Getting a frame up rebuild
'89 XR250 - Needs a Lic Plate
2old2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:33 PM   #14
Rustler
Happy Camper

Oddometer: 153
My green sticker makes it legal, just like my other stickers make it faster.

The ride back up from Ortega to Santiago was the icing on the dust. The throttle was my Gibson, the foot brake my pedal, the hand brake my effects, the exhaust my Marshall stack, and Free Bird was in full flight.

Ok, back to reality, it was FUN!
Rustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:02 AM   #15
shleppy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson
No way to know for sure when it will be closed, but when we were riding up there two weeks ago and chatted with a ranger he indicated that things were getting extremely dry and the closure would probalby come pretty soon. He indicated that as soon as the fire danger gets changed to extreme that closure will probably follow soon after.

No info on any closures yet so there is a possibility that it will stay open, but they have closed it in years past when we had more rain in the preceding winter. As you know this year was the driest on record so I think the clock is ticking..

If you are heading up next weekend give the Trabuco Ranger District office a call on the Friday before you head up (951) 736-1811

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS