Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2002, 02:42 PM   #16
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Re: Further Stats of Interest

Quote:
Originally posted by Razorbak
All of the above measurements were taken from the odometer, not the GPS.
Something to consider...did you change your speedo hub? If not, then you are probably around 7% optimistic in your mileage. My bet is the real mileage is closer to 250.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 03:01 PM   #17
johnjen OP
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,192
speedo vs odo

While we are all pretty much in agreement that the speedo is optimistic, does that mean the the odo is the same AND by the same amount???? I have not verified mine to be sure, but has anyone run an actual test to determine the amount of inaccuracy? That would be a good test....... JJ
Old 06-23-2002, 03:33 PM   #18
John Fallon
MC Rider

Oddometer: 143
odo

according to my test run with the gps is that the odo is off by 5% compared to the gps readings this at 100 miles then 200 miles.
since the run from the same in put I would assume that the speedo if off by that much also.
I got 262 before I filled up, can't remeber how much gas. Did most of the driving on highway 6th gear. The second and first bar dancing, resereve on and off a few. times
Great, simple devise. Thanks John
Attached Images

01' R1150GS
John Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 07:25 PM   #19
fish
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Further Stats of Interest

Quote:

Since I reset the bike's trip odometer and the GPS's trip odometer when I first filled up prior to beginning the test, my guess is that the real mileage is closer to 258.

But 250 was a good guess.

Does your gps measure as the crow flies or your actual track?
Old 06-23-2002, 07:26 PM   #20
johnjen OP
Mod-U-Later

12 step siphon sucker system

I wish I could take credit for the siphon sucker but in truth it was an idea I got from others. I mearly modified a idea a bit then gathered together the parts to make it into a kit. I will take responsibility for this manifestation of Fred's idea but he freely shared what he had done so that the S4 kit could see the light of day..... I'm glad it's working as well as it is... I really don't like running out of gas, it's a major pain.......... JJ
Old 06-23-2002, 07:41 PM   #21
fish
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Further Stats of Interest

Quote:

Exactly how many margaritas have you had tonight?
I wouldn't be able to tell you...exactly. There's too much
ambiguity in the term "margarita". Would that be the 4oz
version in the tittie glass or the 20oz version in my big plastic
tumblers?
Old 06-23-2002, 07:45 PM   #22
fish
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Further Stats of Interest

Quote:

Just volume. Ounces or liters... whichever you prefer. As the crow flies, if you must.
Liters would certainly be the appropriate unit of measure.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:54 PM   #23
John Fallon
MC Rider

Oddometer: 143
my run

okay here is some more detail on my run.
thanks to the little piggy i decided that i could out do his 272 miles on a tank with the S4 since I had done 262 already with my S4 set up and modified filler neck.
left the gas station Tuesday 11:10 am full tank and an extra 1.5 gallons of fuel in the side bag.
2/10 mile to rt 93 north to new hampshire. traffic very light so moving along at a good pace. at about 110 miles come upon some construction, start to slow down a bit then decided to pass a slower moving car before we where to go to one lane. big mistake. I hadnít planned on stopping, wanted to see if i could finally do a tank with out stopping. mister state trooper was pulled over on the bridge and waved me over along with a car.
get off the bike open my helmet take of my sunglasses and looked for mr state trooper. heís talking to the car. i get out my registration and license and he finally comes over. asks if here was an emergency? must have been my darien hivz jacket. i said no. he asks where i was headed. littleton i reply, he asks what i was going to do there, i responsed, turn around. no more questions, hands back my stuff and says to slow down itís a nice. this is just a warning.
as i am approaching littleton, 140 miles, i see that my gas gage is only down to 7-8 bars. so i thought holy shit man i can do 300+ mile no problem. canít turn back here would have to drive through boston.
so i keep going another 10 miles pull out the paper map and look for a good point to turn south. that was the second stop. st johnsbury vt. looked good, pick up 91s and then over to 89 back to 93 in concord.
just before i went onto 91s i snapped a pic of the gps and guages saw that 171 miles 5 bars on the gas gauge.
the at 190 miles 3 bars start doing the 2/3 bar dance.
202 1 bar 2 bar dance reserve light comes on and stays on.
208 O bars, there goes my 300+ miles.
up and down hills, cross over to 89s and trying to listen for fuel pump noises.
going up a hill run out of gas 241.4 miles, pull the clutch get over to break down lane.
dump in 1.5 g fuel, starts right up. at the top of the hill exit with gas right there. 1.8 miles.
add 4.089 gallons .
so 37.13 mpg. average speed 68 mph. all miles are bmw miles, so as not to confuse anyone.
next time out will do all 2 lane back roads.
total run 363.8 miles, back in time for a shower and cocktails.
Attached Images

01' R1150GS
John Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 06:38 PM   #24
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,223
Re: Installation

Quote:
A: Long story short: The S4 is an EXCELLENT modification... one of the very best that I've made to date on my bike. I would HIGHLY recommend it!
I hope this helps some of you lurkers out there.
Razor and JJ and all - I agree that the S4 is an easy and neat mod. However, we still are missing data on how effective it is.

So far we have only heard from those who have done both the filler neck mod AND the S4 mod. I think the filler neck mod may be more important in extending the tank range . Here's why - I did both mods, but haven't been fillling my tank up to the top of the filler neck like Razor did. Here is Razor's and my best data so far:

Razor 1 (Bike odo) 273mi/6.7 gal ~ 41 mpg
Razor 2 (GPS) 259mi/6.7 gal ~ 38.5 mpg
Take the Average ~ 39.75

epfister (Bike odo) 218mi/5.8 gal ~ 37.5 mpg

Razor filled up 0.9 gal more which would extend his range by about 36 miles. He actually got 55 miles more than I did so the delta there is (55-36) only 19 miles or say about .5 gallons. I think this is evidence that the extra 19 miles is due to 1) the S4 mod plus 2) his carbs on in sinc as he is a TWINMAXmeister and 3) general inaccuracies in our tank filling....random error.

Does anyone follow this or care?

What is needed is for Razor and I and whoever else is to disable the S4 and do tests with the filler neck option only.

If ever I get around to doing this I'll post it..... How 'bout you Razor, JJ, John Fallon - use the GPS's and disable your S4?....
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 07:50 PM   #25
Killen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
wimps for me

my family form Seattle is coming into town and we need to be there!

Sorry man!
Killen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 08:11 PM   #26
fish
Banned

Re: Re: Installation

Quote:
Originally posted by epfister
What is needed is for Razor and I and whoever else is to disable the S4 and do tests with the filler neck option only.
that's a good idea. may just be enough to do that, without hookin' up a hillbilly still to yer bike.

in the interest of science. come-on porky, put down the barrons and turn off your ticker, and do the heavy lifting.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:11 PM   #27
fish
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Installation

Quote:

OK, I'll do it... if you ride yer GS to Choopafeast.
why is that so important to you, yuppie scum?
Old 06-28-2002, 09:32 PM   #28
johnjen OP
Mod-U-Later

S4 kit effectiveness

During my research (and in a few answers to questions) I figured that the S4 kit BY ITSELF would only add about 20 miles to the range because that was roughly the amount of trapped fuel in the left lobe of the tank. BUT what is more significant to me, is WHERE that range increase occurs.... WHEN YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF GAS! That is why I went to the trouble of making one in the first place. The lions share of the range increase does come from the filler neck modification and not the S4 kit, which is mentioned in the installation instructions as an optional procedure. I figuered that anyone willing to go to the trouble of adding a S4 kit would also opt for adding more range (if they hadn't done so already) and would be willing to deal with the consequences. JJ

ps. I'm just about out of this last batch of kits and will be ordering more parts soon......
Old 06-28-2002, 10:19 PM   #29
fish
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Installation

Quote:

Just prying up a few loose scales, there, Pisces. Why is it important to you that I unplug my S4 for another test?
Don't bother, bacos...johnjen did a fine job of explaining the two mods.
Old 06-29-2002, 03:00 PM   #30
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Re: S4 kit effectiveness

Quote:
Originally posted by johnjen
During my research (and in a few answers to questions) I figured that the S4 kit BY ITSELF would only add about 20 miles to the range because that was roughly the amount of trapped fuel in the left lobe of the tank. BUT what is more significant to me, is WHERE that range increase occurs.... WHEN YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF GAS!
Thanks for the info. Its a great application. With only twenty miles relating to the S4, it seems like a somewhat marginal improvement. With quick connects one could always pull the tank and slosh a bit of gas to the other side in the event they run dry and a station is not too far. The fuel is there regardless. The neck drilling is truly additional capacity.

I'll definately be doing that...

R-dubb
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote