User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2002, 04:50 PM   #31
johnjen OP
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,369
S4 as anti-slosh

R-dubb sez, With only twenty miles relating to the S4, it seems like a somewhat marginal improvement

You're right of course, you can always take the tank off and slosh the fuel around or even tip the bike over on it's right side.... I just didn't want to have to go to those extremes just to use all of the gas in the tank.
I can remember when I was in the middle of nowhere, and 20 miles was a long way... JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 06:07 PM   #32
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,229
Re: Re: Re: Re: Installation

Quote:
Originally posted by Razorbak

OK, I'll do it... if you ride yer GS to Choopafeast.
Razor - does el Pez ever ride that GS or does he just flash the lights? ...and the lights? ... and the lights?
Well then, according my observations , John Jen is correct! Or according to JJ's explanation, myobservations are correct.... Anyway, I am now satisfied.... :): Actually I never had a doubt, and agree with Razor - can't beat this mod for $15-$20 or whatever it was. IF you decide to drill holes in the filler tank, you might as well put in the S4 at the same time and vice versa. I did the mod during the winter and am just now getting out and running tank loads...

Now - I'll tell you what we need, we need someone to figure out that anti-reverse-siphon issue, you know.... If you take apart a weedwacker and check the fuel line there is this little tiny ball valve and....
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 03:13 PM   #33
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Hey John

Just wanted to say thanks for the kit, just got around to putting it in last night. Well made kit , simple and funny directions.

Thanks again
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:39 PM   #34
johnjen OP
Mod-U-Later

Rad, my pleasure.... I tried to write up the directions so that it would at least seem entertaining, and not so 'instruction manual' like.... I'm glad you enjoyed the installation....
I've just made a modification to the basic setup on my bike on the advice of Ricardo.... It's a simple (but clever) change but I want to see how it holds up before I write it up.... JJ

WingMakers.com
Old 08-22-2002, 05:52 PM   #35
GeeItsCool
Definitely a poseur

Oddometer: 59
Re: New Record

Quote:
Latest test results, recorded yesterday between Breckenridge, CO and western Nebraska. Altitude definitely helps gas mileage.

Anyhoo, howdya like them apples?
So, was that an aftermarket tank, or did you just ride the whole way in 6th gear at 40mph?

- Jason
Old 08-22-2002, 06:32 PM   #36
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,424
Nope. He rode 230 miles. Got gas; rode another 70.3, stop..Took picture..Cheating bastard..

Joc
jocflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:12 PM   #37
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Razor..

Are you running the stock speedo drive or have you updated?
Did the GPS match the numbers?

Joc

I mailed my money off to John yesterday and should see the S4 next week..
Old 08-22-2002, 07:18 PM   #38
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,229
Re: New Record

Quote:
Latest test results, recorded yesterday between Breckenridge, CO and western Nebraska. Altitude definitely helps gas mileage.

Anyhoo, howdya like them apples?
Egads puerco! That's some incredible numbers!

How many gallons was the fill up minus the MSR bottle reserve.

And how many bars were left at 232 miles?
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:43 PM   #39
johnjen OP
Mod-U-Later

AND STILL CHAMPION!!!!!!

WingMakers.com
Old 08-22-2002, 08:59 PM   #40
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,899
Better means of sealing the Siphon Sucker

Quote:
Originally posted by johnjen
I've just made a modification to the basic setup on my bike on the advice of Ricardo.... It's a simple (but clever) change but I want to see how it holds up before I write it up.... JJ
Would that be the idea to drill a hole in the raised rim of the filler neck and attach your SSS vent pipe to the hole such that when the gas lid is down, the vent is closed, otherwise it's open? The concept is to have a Totally Passive system, no fussing about with bolts and rubber tubes, just open the lid and fill it up. Close the lid and the siphon sucker does the rest.

Yup, that Ricardo is the Shits!
Old 08-22-2002, 09:30 PM   #41
johnjen OP
Mod-U-Later

Ummm, No....

This one is actually easier to implement (15 minutes max to install) and is almost as fool proof.... it uses a schrader valve (which is why I want to give it more time to see if the fuel eats it, and even if it does, a new insert and you're back in business), you just press the button, all the air bubbles out and your done....... No machining or welding or more drilling.....
Yes, I agree Tricky Ricky is the SHITS

JJ

ps the idea of using the gas cap to seal the S4 is being implemented by at least one guy here locally... I'm interested to see how well it works....

WingMakers.com
Old 08-23-2002, 08:39 AM   #42
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

John..

If want someone to test the new stuff..Send it to me with my items after you get my money sometime next week..Also, not trying to steal you thunder..But do you remember the name of the 0-pressure check valve some were installing in place of the stopper at the end of the tube?

Joc
Old 08-23-2002, 12:33 PM   #43
johnjen OP
Mod-U-Later

Thunder under the thumb

The new stuff is actually a valve stem from an old dead inner tube that I cut off with a hacksaw and bolted in place.... Thus far I've not found a source for these as seperate parts..... so it may be an owner modification instead of a kit supplied part.... and if I could find them they would be a lot more expensive than free..... One trick is to be sure and use the short valve body insert so it will work regardless of how short you make the valve stem itself.
As for the 0-pressure valve, the ones I found were available from a Suzuki dealership and cost about $10. They are used on some of the dirt bikes as check valves to vent air into the tank while keeping the gas from spilling all over... There are also commercial grade valves available from places like McMaster-Carr for more $.
JJ

WingMakers.com
Old 08-29-2002, 02:41 PM   #44
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

John..

Just to let you know..Mine came in the mail today..Thank you..If i remember right; once you fill the tank up once and purge the S4; every refill of fuel after that, the line should prime it's self, if no air get's into the system..correct?

Thanks again

Joc :):

Install time...28:00 min.

jocflier screwed with this post 08-29-2002 at 03:57 PM
Old 09-07-2002, 01:24 PM   #45
mleir
Evil Doer

Oddometer: 2,050
Got and put mune in Friday. Took it ut for a little 300+ mile test this morning (AeroStich and a burger). The S4 rocks. Thanks a ton JohnJen.

"I have large, pendulous breasts." -BMW Rider
mleir is offline   Reply With Quote