ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #1276
deserteagle56
deserteagle56

Oddometer: 41
They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....

Many years ago I would come home from work every afternoon on my XL500 wearing my Bell helmet and old green backpack. My little one would be waiting, ready to go for a ride around the neighborhood. One afternoon a little while after we had returned to the house I glanced out the window to find her again sitting on the Honda, wearing my helmet and backpack and pretending she was riding. I had to grab my camera and take a shot. She, seeing me, was a bit apprehensive for she had been warned not to climb on the bike if I were not there with her. So she was a bit confused when, after taking her picture, I grabbed her and gave her a fierce hug. I could not help it - I loved her so much! Even now, many years later this is still my favorite picture of her. Even though she is grown and out on her own, she is still my darling little girl.
deserteagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:20 PM   #1277
BlackHammer
Celtic Canadian

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom
What a great thread! Read every post, enjoyed every line and pic. I'm subscribed. Is there any "Fathers and Sons" equivalent thread round here?

Knee, you're the man! Your story is hard to beat in the tear-sqeezing department. Keeping my fingers crossed and praying for Your Little Treasure.
I agree , a one for the sons or we could do a hostile takeover / merge with this one ......

KNEE----- I have been following your familys blog , she is so strong , and her smile radiates pure love when she looks at you ....... hope to see a picture of you 2 leaving on her first road trip on 2 wheels with you one day . Stay strong ........... my fav quote ---" she laughs, coos, and now shrieks when she is happy " .
Old 02-09-2010, 02:18 AM   #1278
fantom
armchair traveller

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHammer
I agree , a one for the sons or we could do a hostile takeover / merge with this one ......
Well, that would be sort of KIDnapping of the thread - not a nice thing at all, right? I guess we could revive one of the threads mentioned above.

deserteagle56, lovely shot and a nice story behind it
Old 02-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #1279
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,377
Thats my boy

This thread about sons is in Inmates.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250120

Perhaps they should be merged together with the other threads?
Old 02-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #1280
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
Thank you all for the warm thoughts, wishes and prayers. I'm glad to see we've made it into a signature!

My wife and I have decided a while ago to give back for the help we've received to the medical community. Children's Hospital Of Philadelphia (CHOP) is a non-profit hospital that survives on donations and grant money. I truly attribute their services to getting us the answers we needed and a treatment plan after chasing our tails through countless ER visits and PICU/NICU admissions here in NJ. We're in the process of putting together a team for the Walk for Babies for April 25 to help raise money for research for the treatment for babies; no doubt this is the funding that CHOP survives off of. We feel that this is a small bit of what we can do so that someone else can benefit from the excellent services CHOP has to offer; as an example in order to get Juliet's airway scoped here in NJ we would have had to wait until she was a year old and it would have been an OR procedure, at CHOP it was an office procedure and she wasn't even 3 months old yet. The standard of care there is unbelieveable and we met people from all over the globe while we were there. So many people are deserving of this care and if we can help keep CHOP going, it's the least we can do.

I'm glad our story has touched so many people; it's not meant to be a tear-jerker or a sympathy grabber, but simply an insight into what our daughter has been through so far in her 5 months of life. She's taught us to be better people and I've learned to appreciate nonmaterial things such as quiet moments at the end of the day when she's sleeping and relaxing in my arms. I've learned to never give up and never accept "No" for answer even when all odds seem stacked against you. Juliet has truly been an inspiration to me to be a better person and to make headway when all options seem exhausted. I've learned what it means to truly give selfless service with unending love and devotion. I've learned what it means to be a father.

Alex
Old 02-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #1281
fantom
armchair traveller

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519
This thread about sons is in Inmates.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250120
I just posted there. Hopefully we'll get some more photos there
Old 02-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #1282
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
great thread

as the proud father of a wonderful 16 year old daughter who is still very close to me, i love seeing other pops happy and proud of their girls and making an effort to draw even closer. my girl got her 1st quad at 6 yo and never seemed to xcited on it which was fine with me, at 8 she tried a ttr90 and that was it...i want a bike she screamed. 1 wk latter she had a new drz110, at 11 a new ttr125 LE, and at 15 a new '08 wr250f. yes she is a bit spoiled but as a straight A student and a hard working spiritual girl and an only child i cant resist. we always make it a point to take the last ride of every desert trip just the 2 of us, for a little daddy daughter time, it is our ritual. keep it up dads
kellymac530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #1283
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDrachen
Thank you all for the warm thoughts, wishes and prayers. I'm glad to see we've made it into a signature!

My wife and I have decided a while ago to give back for the help we've received to the medical community. Children's Hospital Of Philadelphia (CHOP) is a non-profit hospital that survives on donations and grant money. I truly attribute their services to getting us the answers we needed and a treatment plan after chasing our tails through countless ER visits and PICU/NICU admissions here in NJ. We're in the process of putting together a team for the Walk for Babies for April 25 to help raise money for research for the treatment for babies; no doubt this is the funding that CHOP survives off of. We feel that this is a small bit of what we can do so that someone else can benefit from the excellent services CHOP has to offer; as an example in order to get Juliet's airway scoped here in NJ we would have had to wait until she was a year old and it would have been an OR procedure, at CHOP it was an office procedure and she wasn't even 3 months old yet. The standard of care there is unbelieveable and we met people from all over the globe while we were there. So many people are deserving of this care and if we can help keep CHOP going, it's the least we can do.

I'm glad our story has touched so many people; it's not meant to be a tear-jerker or a sympathy grabber, but simply an insight into what our daughter has been through so far in her 5 months of life. She's taught us to be better people and I've learned to appreciate nonmaterial things such as quiet moments at the end of the day when she's sleeping and relaxing in my arms. I've learned to never give up and never accept "No" for answer even when all odds seem stacked against you. Juliet has truly been an inspiration to me to be a better person and to make headway when all options seem exhausted. I've learned what it means to truly give selfless service with unending love and devotion. I've learned what it means to be a father.

Alex
alex im brand new here on adv and im extremely happy i found this thread early on and especially your postings. we have gone thru a similar situation with my life long best friends son born at 29 weeks. he is absolutely amazing now at 7 yo and extremely bright and wanting to get a bike to ride with his uncle kelly. i am a riding freak and addict, but im also a proud dad as the previous post stated. but it is heart warming to be in a mc related site and still to find such amazing and touching story. my wife hates mc but wants to follow your families story. our thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you and your wife and juliette. please continue to keep us posted
kellymac530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #1284
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,850
Alex,

Your daughter is SO precious! It is amazing how pets can sense when a person in the family is struggling, and will be at their side whenever possible. A similar story:

My youngest brother Daniel was paralyzed from the waist down just over a year ago. Last memorial day weekend, I was home, and another brother brought a stray dog (lab/German Sheppard mix) that had appeared on his property, to show my mother. She opened the door to let the dog in the house, and he sniffed around for about 10 secs, and made a beeline for Dan's bedroom, where he was sleeping. He jumped up on Dan's bed without waking him. The dog is now beside Dan wherever he goes.
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #1285
LJ.
n00b

Oddometer: 3
What a privilege to be able to contribute to this thread! I have three daughters and one son... Eldest one is not so keen, Youngest falls asleep on back if distance is too great, which means that my middle daughter Emma is the main pillion rider. We have done literally hundreds of miles together on my old BSAs. Many rallies and motorcycle gatherings all of which have been immense fun. Although she has just turned 16 she is now looking towards her first bike and is slowly drifting her own way. First piccie shows us taking a break in a roadside layby cooking bacon sandwiches and cups of tea...

and here we both are on our 1960 BSA A10 out on a camping trip, you can read more of that here... http://www.ljswain.btinternet.co.uk/a10.html you'll need to scroll down a
bit for that...

Emma has her eye on all my bikes but this one we have seems to take her fancy...

And here she is again...

Now my youngest whom likes to fall asleep on the back is known as Lillian on the pillion! and here she is on a ride out collecting land marks, part of a Round Britain Rally....

We have had many picnics on one of the bikes, the BSA M21 looks on in the background...

A final one here of Emma holding the BSA M21...

Edit: Just remembered... You might like to see her trying her skill at kick starting the bikes...

LJ. screwed with this post 02-09-2010 at 05:12 PM Reason: more to add.
LJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #1286
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,851
Great to see your girl getting so much enjoyment from sharing your hobby.

My daughter likes to ride but we don't seem to get out nearly enough. Here she is on a 150mi trip out "for ice cream."

Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #1287
usp45
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Thumb

Just found this thread the other day, started reading it but havent caught up yet. Its amazing. I have two girls, Brittanie and Katey. Brittanie whos now 22 used to ride with me when she was younger on an old Harley XLCH. Not too many pics of that though, she doesnt get too many chances to ride with me as she got older.

Katey (shredit1232) rides with me all the time, I cant wait to take her overnite camping on the bike. She loves riding her dirtbikes and even started her own thread on ADV for kids and pics of them riding. Theres something about a dad and his girls, it cant be explained.

My son Michael also rides, and this is one of my favorite pics of him helping Katey get geared up back in 2005.

Katey was 7 yrs old. I think its cute because she had her face painted from a party we were at.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #1288
ThomasJ2895
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
08 Nevada City / Grass Valley Toy Run Ride

This is the first trip with my daughter, Amanda, on the back...she really had a ball riding with the other 1000 bikes (mostly Harley's) through downtown Nevada City and Grass Valley. Had her on a couple rides since...hopefully more trips will follow.
XT225
and too many broken cars...so says the wife
ThomasJ2895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #1289
1129VLD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Me and my Amanda near Ouray, CO this past summer. We did around 2,500 miles on this trip:

Old 02-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #1290
KROWBAR
KROWBAR

Oddometer: 15
What a great thread. I have three girls. 9, 5 and 2. The nine year old wants to stick with bicycles. The five year old wants a white Hyabusa with a rainbow painted on the tank. Pink suit and helmet. Has to match her pink ATV though. The two year old can't say motorcycle yet. We'll see.
KROWBAR is offline   Reply With Quote