ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2015, 04:53 AM   #1
Jeff B OP
Socially Awkward

Oddometer: 5,927
Can anyone recommend a cabin.

Can anyone recommend a cabin, lodge, B&B in in the area halfway between Pittsburgh Pa and Charleston SC.

My Daughter and her family have moved into the Charleston area and it would be nice if we could find a nice reasonably priced place to meet for a weekend reunion now n then.

The halfway point seems to be between the Bluefield, Wythville area but I'd be happy anywhere within reasonable radius.

I have done some google searching, but would like some personal recommendations.

Thank you.
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:57 AM   #2
Just Max
I put the F in luck

Oddometer: 330
Have you checked https://www.airbnb.com/ and the like? Wife and I used it for an anniversary get away. Very pleased. The yelp like reviews work well.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:33 AM   #3
Honkylicious
Band Camp 2015

Oddometer: 1,467
This place may fit the criteria http://www.graysoncountyva.com/lodgi...e-on-elk-creek.
It would be an easy ride from Charleston up I-26 to Columbia, then I-77 north. It's about 30-40 minutes off the interstate. There is a farmers market at the exit and other stores in Galax/Independence that you can stock up before heading out to the farm house. The BRP is not far away, and the New River is close by and there are a couple of outfitters in the area that rent canoes and kayaks pretty cheap. Also it's worth checking out the New River trail in Fries (pronounced freeze), which is an old mill town on the river about 10-15 minutes from the farm house.

We pay less than $600 for seven nights . The wife and I have been going there every year for the past five or six years, and I would highly recommend it.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:21 AM   #4
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,294
My sister and brother in law own this one:

http://www.va-guesthouses.com/cottag...bles+Log+Cabin

PM me if you are interested.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #5
4PawsHacienda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
How many people? What ages? What do you want to do? If you're from the larger cities don't go too rural on your first visit - stores hard to find and there are no restaurants. Day trips to some of the abundant parks. Draper VA has a place that rents bicycles for a one way downhill ride on the bike trail.
Several of my neighbors in the Fancy Gap / Galax VA. area rent cabins. Great views and good locations.
Six hours from Pgh and similar from Charleston.
Lots of wineries in the region, some with cabins. Elkin NC region.

Cabins at Chestnut Creek near Galax VA close to hiking, biking, tubing, fishing, and canoe/kayak. Nice place. Close to lots of stuff. My choice for commercial cabin rentals, right on bicycle trail and New River Trail State Park. Definitely see Milky Way at night. Family friendly area, good brew pub in Galax along with food choices and shopping. Check out the private free museum just up the road - amazing collection.
Just off the BRP - Grassy Creek Cabooses, Lonesome Pine Cabin Rentals, secluded - Wolf Creek Farms or Fiddlers Roost Cabins, Inn at Orchard Gap.,
Woodbury Inn near Meadows of Dan.
Mt. Airy NC a bit larger and has several great places - White Sulphur Springs cabins, Sobotta Manor B&B. Pleasant area to visit with shops and dining, town closes and sidewalks roll up around 9.

Floyd VA a very interesting area, lots happening on Friday nights. Heavens Holler.

We used to meet up at some of the WVA state parks that had lodges. Mountainrailwva.com interesting.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
Jeff B OP
Socially Awkward

Oddometer: 5,927
Wow, Thanks!

This is exactly the kinda info I was looking for. I'm thinking there will be a chance of up to six adults [3 couples] n one infant for Friday night till Sunday morning.

This weekend me n the Wifey can will look over the places mentioned on the web and see what she thinks.

If anyone can think of more suggestions we'll be happy to giv'em a gander.
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote