Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2003, 10:36 AM   #16
cyclecat
half post a day wonder

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Said Jeffaugie:

Anything longer that 15 min merrits full gear.

I can have a wreck 20 seconds from my driveway at the end of my street.

I've made the choice to wear jeans. It's a gamble I'm willing to take. Armored riding pants are too bulky and hot to donn for every ride in Texas, I've got nowhere to keep them once I get where I'm going for 75% of my trips, and as far as I'm concerned, JEANS count as protective gear... maybe less than armored stuff, but they are certainly better than nylon jogging pants or a pair of shorts.

When I said the other stuff was not an option, I meant "not optional." I always wear the rest of the gear.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:56 AM   #17
Tugrik
Big Blue Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
I wear jeans 90% of the time.

I have paid the price in the past. Most likely I'll pay it again in the future. Yet, I still ride with jeans.

When I lose the weight (crosses fingers that the stuff in progress works) and/or find a manufacturer that can make riding pants in my size that are actually wearable (my Bates jacket rules. My Bates pants suck hard) then I'll re-evaluate this decision. If I had the ability to go buy an Aerostitch in my size to ride to work in I'd do so in a hearbeat, even though it'd make me look like a cordura twinkie.

The price? Two scarred lower legs, each one with a 4"x8" patch of skin (yes, I have big legs) that are all kinds of funky reddish tones. The scars make doctors think I'm diabetic. This was casued by being ejected sideways from a Honda Helix as it got wedged in a roadside ditch, and the legs sliding front-side against the exposed edge of raggedy asphalt. I could see bone, and it wasn't pretty. Had to pick up myself and my scooter and drive to the hospital, too. Wheee.

So yeah, like all of motorcycling, it's an Accepted Risk. I guess I just accept a bit more than an ATGATT'er. Could I *find the gear* in my size, my position would change. I love proper gear; it's a geek-out thing to me.
Tugrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 12:25 PM   #18
figment
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
THIS

is how I used to ride in the summer here. Uhhh! Scares me to think about it anymore...
Old 09-18-2003, 01:30 PM   #19
kevbo
Rubbery-Lip Flappin' PHI

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally posted by Baldy
I hear that statistically, most accidents happen around your home.
Statiscally, elevators stop on the ground floor as often as all other floors combined.....but that doesn't mean a one story building needs an elevator

For most riders, every 2nd trip starts at your house, and the alternate ones end there, regardless of length....so statistically there is a lot of opportunity for accidents to happen near home.
It would be wrong to assume that short trips are more dangerous from this statistic alone.

There MIGHT be something to it though. I certainly prepare more when I will be all day on the bike vs. a quick dash to the auto-parts store.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:50 PM   #20
Humungus
no it doesn't

Oddometer: 5,313
"I wear all the protective gear because & because im a retentive prat & want everone to be just like me"

Dooods...my fav tucker is a big bit of tripe...been eating it since i was a kid .....i recon you should all eat it.
Humungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 02:39 PM   #21
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,486
Tugrik said:
Quote:
If I had the ability to go buy an Aerostitch in my size to ride to work in I'd do so in a hearbeat, even though it'd make me look like a cordura twinkie.

Not that I have had to use it, but I believe Aerostitch will make custom suits to measure, for not a whole lot more than rack items.

Have you tried contacting them to see what they can do for you?

Good luck on the weight loss- can be a tough battle.

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 03:07 PM   #22
Tugrik
Big Blue Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Said ttruex:
Have you tried contacting them to see what they can do for you?
Been there. Done that.

Called them, gave them the starts of my measurements, got told an unpleasant combo of 'no way in hell' and 'why is someone that damn fat riding'?

Very last response I would have expected from such a cool company as 'stitch.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and hoping it was some squidly intern, so I've not stopped shopping with them yet. But still, dyammn...
Tugrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 03:21 PM   #23
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,160
Quote:
Said Tugrik:
Called them, gave them the starts of my measurements, got told an unpleasant combo of 'no way in hell' and 'why is someone that damn fat riding'?

Very last response I would have expected from such a cool company as 'stitch.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and hoping it was some squidly intern, so I've not stopped shopping with them yet. But still, dyammn...
This has been going on for quite awhile now, dropping (I think) the 3XL Darien jacket they used to make, as well any Darien pant sizes over 44. Which basically means that if you are over 300lbs, forget it.

Jon
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 03:23 PM   #24
Timberwoof
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
That author is known, BTW.

Jason Gundlach posted it on a newsgroup may 31, 2001, and I got his permission to repost it on my web site.

http://www.timberwoof.com/motorcycle...earChoice.html
Old 09-18-2003, 05:24 PM   #25
motojedi
asphalt adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
ATGATT for me.

I had a low-side at about 70 mph on my supermoto (on the track) and jumped back up without a scratch or bruise. I slid for probably 30 feet before I hit the rumble strip on the outside of the turn, which started me tumbling, and continued tumbling for another 20 feet.

I've never been so happy to have spent the day sweating my ass off in a leather suit. If its too hot for the proper gear, it may be too hot to ride.

BTW, I highly recommend Alpinestars SMX 2 suit, GP plus gloves and SMX 2 boots.....fortunately my Arai never touched the pavement.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:31 PM   #26
Strom OP
Buggered if I know...

Oddometer: 250
Thumb Too hot?

Quote:
Said motojedi:

If its too hot for the proper gear, it may be too hot to ride.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill
Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:05 PM   #27
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,354
Quote:
I had a low-side at about 70 mph on my supermoto (on the track)
Comparing apples to oranges here. Note the "on the track" part.

Quote:
If its too hot for the proper gear, it may be too hot to ride.
Feel free not to.
I'll continue with my routine.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:45 PM   #28
motojedi
asphalt adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
ATGATT on and off the track.

I was just relating a personal experience of how wearing the gear saved my hide.:):
Old 09-18-2003, 07:41 PM   #29
Strom OP
Buggered if I know...

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Said Stinez:
Comparing apples to oranges here. Note the "on the track" part.

Last time I looked, race tracks and highways had the same surface....

:):
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill
Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 07:42 PM   #30
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Jeans 100% of the time and insulated Carhartts over that when cold.

If I was agressive sportbiking, dirt riding or going to the track, I'd be geared to hell.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote