ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #1546
tr1200
High Side

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_Rider
I'm seriously thinking about getting an older EX250 Ninja and going racing...

I love track days but I'd like to see what I've got against other like minded nuts!
DTR-
I hear that the EX250 is a great track bike and the AFM has a class for them. I think Kevin Jump (owner of Advanced Kawasaki) started a new spec-class for them with WSMC. But I suspect you'll want more "poop" especially on the bigger tracks- like Willow.

A good starter bike IMHO is the older EX500. It came with 16" rims from 87-93, but it's very simple to adapt the front from a Honda CBR600F2. I just happen to have such a set up if anyone's interested .
List Includes:
forks
triple clamps
calipers
rotors
rim
clip-ons

and rear:
cush drive/sprocket
rim
rotor
caliper

I'd sell all of it to a fellow ADVrider for $250 and help with chasis/susp. set-up. I was going to build another CBR/EX500 racer but I'm leaning more towards a GP machine or Super-Mono.

Cheers-
HST
tr1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #1547
tr1200
High Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank
TOM!! You have a track bike you just need a supermoto kit for it!

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...=en&emb=0&aq=f

And with my nephew getting an R6 I may be getting a supermoto kit for the 530. Depends on how strongly the wife fights the F800GS quest. If she stomps that firmly out then I wll pursue the supermoto kit.

That would make for 4 with supermoto's in the 500cc - 650cc range... Is there a track nearby?

HST: I talked to the wife about next Friday... She isn't very keen on the idea. I will have a final answer by Monday for sure.

~

Michael
Michael-
I just missed a full Husaberg factory supermoto set up from Moto-X-otica by several weeks. Dan was sitting on it for like a year, but sold it right before I contacted him. It had the factory forks/clamps/breaks/shock/rims off a FS650E BRAND NEW for $1800. Bummed I missed that deal.

Keep me posted about Friday-
HST
Old 09-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #1548
redwave
sue eee! (Pig Man)

Oddometer: 448
Cry She's gone...

Well I just watched my beautiful blue DR ride off into the sunset in the back of somebody elses truck, sold but not forgotten. Now I have the bonus excitement of paying down the red one, c'est la vie.

Anybody wanna ride dirt somewhere next Sat. ?
redwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:34 AM   #1549
stevele5
knight errant

Oddometer: 1,104
sorry to hear of the old girl

i hear that the honda is a worthy replacement, scott just picked up a dr, do you want to do an evening ride this week sometime, wednesday, thursday maybe we could ride up north fork and you show us the whiskey riding area, i have not been through there yet, or we went throught it and didnt know it.

Rule # 2 Spy the guy in your eye before you fly at the Y.

slow is smooth, smooth is fast

http://www.centralvalleyds.com/

stevele5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #1550
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,538
Sat 9/13/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwave
Well I just watched my beautiful blue DR ride off into the sunset in the back of somebody elses truck, sold but not forgotten. Now I have the bonus excitement of paying down the red one, c'est la vie.

Anybody wanna ride dirt somewhere next Sat. ?
Redwave,

I'm down for some dirt this saturday, any thoughts on where?

JP
JPaccassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #1551
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,505
is scott going to keep it this time? i might be able to do thursday.
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #1552
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,735
Cool2 Vive la ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsellers
is scott going to keep it this time? i might be able to do thursday.
I know I am going out Sunday with Tanner, but I think HST was planning on getting out Friday as well. I put in to get off work at roughly 1130 on Friday to join HST for a Friday ride. Still pending wifely approval, at very least I will be leaving work at 1200 (Fresno State Campus) and heading up the hill towards HST neck of the woods to ride at very least until 1800. Even if the wife wants me home I can fart around until then, she doesnt get off work until 1730. If I am home about the time she gets home she isn't going to care if I ride twice this week.

HST - If you change your mind to Thursday so we can get more people in on this the same 1200 to 1800 (and maybe later) schedule still applies, work is flexable.

If she doesn't care then I can be out all night. I earned some brownie points this last weekend and I will be cashing them in this weekend.

RedWave/All - can't get out Saturday, I know she will gut me if I try. If you get screwed out of a ride I am sure we can all crash Tanner's party on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwave
Well I just watched my beautiful blue DR ride off into the sunset in the back of somebody elses truck, sold but not forgotten.
I feel your pain... Having so recently gone through it myself.

I met a guy that works at Eagle Rider that has an 08 530. Has the Q4 exhaust on it, said it really wakes the bike up. I might have to buy one! He is going out with Tanner this Sunday (coincidence he tried to talk me into going and I already had plans to go) and we are going to swap rides for a short bit so I can sample the improvements that the exhaust swap makes first hand. Really nice guy, not often you get a chance like this (bikes are identical otherwise) so I am really stoked to give this a shot.

~

Michael

montibank screwed with this post 09-08-2008 at 01:32 PM
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #1553
Daytona_Rider
You should be racing

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1200
DTR-
I hear that the EX250 is a great track bike and the AFM has a class for them. I think Kevin Jump (owner of Advanced Kawasaki) started a new spec-class for them with WSMC. But I suspect you'll want more "poop" especially on the bigger tracks- like Willow.

HST

That's the point tho'. I'm looking for something that will be severe on me if I don't keep my corner speeds up. I have a bad habit of "counting" on the poop after screwing up my corner entry. I figure the only way to rectify my error is to just get something that, even when I wind the throttle to the stop says, "Nope. You'll have to do better next time."

Although the older EX's have crap for tire selection... That sucks. I'd love to get an '08, but I want to race on the cheap - so that's not really an option (unless I could get a straight but salvaged unit).
AFM #993 Come out and support the sport of motorcyling; attend an AFM Race Weekend!

Death Valley Ride(s) Rock

Dennis Carner Memorial Ride

Death Valley Video

1991 Honda NC30 (Racing sweetness) #993
2007 R1200GS Adventure: King of the World IMHO
Daytona_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #1554
powerman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_Rider
That's the point tho'. I'm looking for something that will be severe on me if I don't keep my corner speeds up. I have a bad habit of "counting" on the poop after screwing up my corner entry. I figure the only way to rectify my error is to just get something that, even when I wind the throttle to the stop says, "Nope. You'll have to do better next time."

Although the older EX's have crap for tire selection... That sucks. I'd love to get an '08, but I want to race on the cheap - so that's not really an option (unless I could get a straight but salvaged unit).
DTR,
Is the '08 much different than the older models? I know a girl that bought one a year or so ago, but never rides it. It's probably not an '08, but can ask her if she wants to unload it.
powerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #1555
tr1200
High Side

DTR-
I believe we share the same pssion for corner speed. A good 125gp machine available to the public might produce 38hp but it weighs 170#. Vicki Jackson-Bell still holds a record at WSMC on her Honda RS125 that has stood for a decade now.

But I know from my experience that on some tracks, anything under 60hp is WFO with little-to-no brakes. On the '78 SR500 with stock frame/swingarm/rims I rarely used brakes at Willow and dipped into the 1:38 range. It made 40 hp. My 65hp EX500 got me into the high 1:33's but the big difference was the forks & available rubber (250gp tires fit the cbr rims).

However, on some of the smaller tracks like Streets of Willow, I think the EX250 would be an excellent choice. The Moriwaki 250 is what interets me and is a GP frame with an engine tuned for roadracing but based on the Honda CRF250 four stroke.

Cheers-
HST
Old 09-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #1556
stevele5
knight errant

Oddometer: 1,104
if he keeps it til thursday

ride thursday evening? from say 6 or so til the cows come home what do you say anyone?

Rule # 2 Spy the guy in your eye before you fly at the Y.

slow is smooth, smooth is fast

http://www.centralvalleyds.com/

stevele5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #1557
redwave
sue eee! (Pig Man)

Oddometer: 448
Thursday

Steve,
Thursday's a good aft'n/eve for me but my headlight sucks, for that reason a 4:45p start would be ideal for me. This cow has got to be up 5:00a for work Friday. A coupla' hours in the dirt would be great- let's do it! Are you talking about the Scott whose chain broke on his streetbike, who bought a DR last year?

JP,
I don't have anywhere in mind, but I've got a map- I haven't been on a bum ride in these hills yet. Whadaya think Shaver-ish or Bass Lake-ish?

redwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #1558
tr1200
High Side

2009 R1

Well, Yamaha has revamped it and I just heard it. Sounds like a toned down M1! Crank journals are 90deg apart with uneven firing order. About time we got some "gp trickle-down" in an affordable bike. Only a few get to sample a Desmosedici.
Cheers-
HST
ps- you guys have fun on Thursday. I have Friday off if anyone wants to hit it then.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #1559
montibank
Happy

Thursday.... Hummmm

HST: If I set out at 1100 ish from Fresno State on Thursday can we get to where Redwave and the others are proposing to ride by their leave time? I would haul arse up to your area then I assume there are offroad from your neck of the woods that we can cut across all the way to a meeting place in bass lake / shaver lake? Of course I would love to stay off road as much as possable, does such a trail exist? Can it be done? This would be totally sweet! And since I could only get a short ride in, you could still get out for a longer ride with the others.

I will google as much as I can to look for trails through, it need not be the easy way, I just want to be at the meeting spot in Redwave territory around the time stevele5, lsellers and Redwave would be begining thier ride. If we got their early we could break for an early dinner and rest up a bit for more riding! I will need to be home that night around 1800. So I will likely split after farting around with you all.

I am really looking forward to this... I hope it will work with your work schedule HST.... Humm gonna call I think. One sec, dialing now.

~

Michael
Old 09-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #1560
montibank
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank
I am really looking forward to this... I hope it will work with your work schedule HST.... Humm gonna call I think. One sec, dialing now.
Darn... HST is working Thursday. SOoo anyone still interested in farting around Friday from ~ 1100 to 1800 post up and come along.

Well riding oppurtunities Thursday through Sunday... Not a bad way to get an early start on ride season. If you can't make it out for one ride you are just making excuses.

~

Michael