ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #4081
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,763
No bike yet... No parts ordered yet.... No parts to order list yet. Doug has been very busy, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. Commited now, motor as pulled apart as it is. Only time will tell if I will be on the orange crush for the trip.

Starting to feel better, still sniffling and coughing a bit. That was the worst I have been sick in quite some time.

~

Michael
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #4082
mudpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Puke Montibanks is better

Hey Michael, glad you're feeling better. If the KTM isn't ready, there's always the XR400......
mudpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #4083
dsrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Monti what about the KTM 540kit?

Is yours stock aprox 510cc? Does anyone know how much power that adds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank
No bike yet... No parts ordered yet.... No parts to order list yet. Doug has been very busy, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. Commited now, motor as pulled apart as it is. Only time will tell if I will be on the orange crush for the trip.

Starting to feel better, still sniffling and coughing a bit. That was the worst I have been sick in quite some time.

~

Michael

Tahoe Rubicon June 26-28/2009 Ride details see www.dsrider.com or email

Ideas welcome The adventure continues..... More to come as the plans are hammered out.
Fresno dual sport club wwwdsrider.com email dsriders@gmail.com

All welcome. John 3:16-17 Matt 6:33-34 SUAR www.dsrider.com we could use a camera/photographer for the ride
dsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #4084
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,509
that'll make it more roadworthy for sure!
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #4085
montibank
Happy

Well about the 540 kit... I really don't need more anything... Other than reliability. Do they make a KTM 530 "better-rod-bearing-than-stock" kit?

Big bore kits usually = less reliability. I often "sandbag" on our rides, rarely use everything the bike has. If I gear short for tight stuff I may not be able to keep up on the road top speeds, but adding torque and gearing tall just adds more strain on the crank even if I can lug the motor a bit more. It is a really torque'y bike now.

What I really need is a road machine. I have it down to about 4 bikes that are possabilities next summer:
  1. 950 Super Enduro (but I worry about high miles on it, and it would be used so I would be taking on someone else's problems)
  2. GS 1200 (worthless offroad in the tight stuff, will have to limit myself to the fire roads with it)
  3. KLR Milspec Diesel (if they ever release them to the GP, will have to farkle suspension considerably though)
  4. DR650
Honestly the last two are not really road machines (meaning suiatble for wife riding with me), but due to low cost I may be able to sneak them under the radar. They would be budget solutions for me, for sure, and likely both would get me in hot water with the Mrs. since I promised her a seat. She won't like either of those at all. As tough as my wife says she is, she wants a road sofa, and I don't care how much those of you that own those bikes like them they are never going to make it to the road sofa category.

IF I were to ditch the 530 for some reason I would likely pick up an XChallenge for a replacement, and give up on my road bike desire until summer 2011 or later. Those xchallenges are AWESOME in my book still. Especially for the type of riding we have been doing. Those of you that took the leap of faith and invested in one really got the best bike for the job, IMHO. The best part about my situations is that I get to kick back and wait to see what sort of mileage per rebuild yall get out of them over the next year and keep my eyes pealed for a deal on one when the time comes next summer to pick up my road bike. Hopefully one of those poor saps that buys something and parks it for fear of scratching it, then realizes the market specialized for them and they drop the price rediculously low to unload it.

~

Michael
Old 06-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #4086
lsellers
a DSRIDER

looks like your stuff is moving steve. some other items slower than others.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #4087
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank
[*]GS 1200 (worthless offroad in the tight stuff, will have to limit myself to the fire roads with it)
Bah, I do fire roads on my Harley sometimes. And frequently on my K1100LT.

An R1200GS is good for more than that. You don't want to get too gnarly, though, because it's just too much weight to manhandle. But hey, Ewan and Charlie did ok on them...
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #4088
lsellers
a DSRIDER

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm

My armenian buddy got these. Interesting how it works.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #4089
montibank
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B
Bah, I do fire roads on my Harley sometimes. And frequently on my K1100LT.

An R1200GS is good for more than that. You don't want to get too gnarly, though, because it's just too much weight to manhandle. But hey, Ewan and Charlie did ok on them...
Oh heh i would do anything they did on video at least... But often the trails the guys find themselves in are a bit more then in LWR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsellers
My armenian buddy got these. Interesting how it works.

Seen those before, and at constant rpm I could see them working, but what about sudden constant changes in speed? Hard accelerations/decelerations.

What about internal tire wear? Ok i realize not likely to be an issue, what about high speeds (on a track only of course) like over 100 mph? Would they behave the same?

~

Michael

montibank screwed with this post 06-03-2009 at 07:45 PM
Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #4090
lsellers
a DSRIDER

supposidly their site says it all happens so fast you'll never feel it. I think gravity is gravity, not sure if it changes at 100mph vs 90 vs 40 vs 20. You'd think the cintrifical force would be greater the faster the tire spins. I suppose it'd work just the same if the beads spread themselves all around the tire evenly and they self adjust via gravity/force.

i'm skeptably optamisitc.

at least you'll never run out of airsoft pellates on the run..

wonder how'd they act in this situation:
http://www.break.com/index/raffaele-...ding-save.html

lsellers screwed with this post 06-04-2009 at 09:34 AM
Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #4091
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,567
Ride?

Anyone up for some riding this sat or sun? I think sunday looks better for higher elevation riding due to the weather, but either will work for me. Mt. Tom, iron lakes, millwood, whiskey falls/mammoth pool area, france, england, the outer rings/zegema beach....where ever??

JP

EDIT: Anyone know someone with a decent compact type car for sale? 1998 or newer that does not have excessive miles on it for no more than say $2,500..........my car was totalled 2 weeks ago by some crazy person who turned left in front of me.......

JPaccassi screwed with this post 06-04-2009 at 10:58 AM
JPaccassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #4092
montibank
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsellers
wonder how'd they act in this situation:
http://www.break.com/index/raffaele-...ding-save.html
Although I am no authority on the situation I would think it might look something like this:

----------------------------

-------------------------------------

------------------------------------------

------------------------------------
---------------------------
Old 06-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #4093
montibank
Happy

Ford Taurus 4 Sale - $1600 call Montibank 4 info

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaccassi
Anyone up for some riding this sat or sun? I think sunday looks better for higher elevation riding due to the weather, but either will work for me. Mt. Tom, iron lakes, millwood, whiskey falls/mammoth pool area, france, england, the outer rings/zegema beach....where ever??

JP

EDIT: Anyone know someone with a decent compact type car for sale? 1998 or newer that does not have excessive miles on it for no more than say $2,500..........my car was totalled 2 weeks ago by some crazy person who turned left in front of me.......
I have a ford taurus for sale in the family, it has some cosmetic damage on it, a fairly decent daily driver.

UPDATE: Asking price $1600 Mileage: 88,000 Year 1993 ~ Call me if you are interested and I will give you his number.

~

Michael

montibank screwed with this post 06-04-2009 at 12:08 PM
Old 06-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #4094
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,567
Taurus

Monti,

Looks like the taurus only came with a V-6, guess & shoulda specified I'd be looking for a 4cyl. Thanks for checking for me though, I appreciate it. I can't believe it only has 88k on it, thats damn good for a 93'!

Been looking on craigslist to see whats available, lots of saturns for pretty cheap, that may be my next car since there seems to be an over abundance of them (maybe thats a bad sign, I don't know).......Gettin 3,100 from the other persons insurance for my car (didn't think it was even worth that much ), I figure 2,500 for a car & 600 for the DR .......

JP
Old 06-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #4095
lsellers
a DSRIDER

maintenance wise i think saturns are pretty good. other than normal stuff i didn't have any problems with mine from 96 to 06. i red lined it everywhere, got it stuck over curbs and in fields, hauled ass down the mountain after snowboarding, got my first speeding ticket over 100mph and nearly died several times in it. for all the abuse i did keep good care of it though.

maybe more people want to ditch their gm's because of recent events? I think they stopped making replacement parts for some items a few years ago. you'll notice the black rubber trim around the windows aren't being replaced, they're just sprayed black or something.

only reason i sold it was for my little cousin and for his wife to drive around. Plus, I didn't want to deal with 4 vehicle upkeep.

you can probably get one out the door for 1800 to 2k so more $$$ for the DR!