ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #751
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,774
Alive!!

Wow what a ride. If I were a cat I know I woulda burned up at least 4 of my nine lives yesterday. Steve and Rob set a grueling pace, I had to hang back quite a bit. You guys have really stepped up your offroad game considerably since the last time I was off road with you. Six months outa the saddle really shows for me!

Those ride pics have got to rock.

Thoughts on the DR - I was really amazed what that bike could do. It is heavy as a tank, darn hard to pick up. But when I was able to keep it on two wheels it was amazing. I only stalled it 3 times, but with a little clutching practice and perhaps a little motor work that would not be an issue. The stock 4+ gallon tank was extremely nice to have as well.

No the DR does not have the power or suspension of the berg, but the thing ran after a ton of abuse. If I would have layed the berg down like I did the DR I would have destroyed the carburator. Husa's are most definately not intended to be on thier sides for any length of time.

If the DR was 100 pounds lighter I would buy one in a heartbeat, so far that is the only draw back I can see to owning one.

montibank screwed with this post 12-16-2007 at 02:48 PM
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:41 PM   #752
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,520
are there any pics yet ?!!....I'm looking....hoping for things to make this train ride go faster. Maybe I'll fall asleep and dream I was on the gs.
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:58 AM   #753
stevele5
knight errant

Oddometer: 1,104
beat to hell

what a great ride, i have never ridden so few miles in my life.

the toughest trails yet to date, some really technical rocky rut infested steep hills and some narrow single track in the deep forest.

my body is banged up, the dr needs a little straightening, my knees are several shades of pain, 3 downs, 1 hurt my body, 1 hurt my pride and 1 let me slide.

i cant wait to go again, monti is a real trooper, he hung in there right until the end, just when i thought he gave up, thumping around the corner he came. lifting those bikes off the ground does get tiring.

reliability has its price, weight being one. i guess a guy could go with a xr250 to tackle the weight issue, then there is the ride on the road getting to where we go. the answer my friend is blowing in the wind..............a bike for every ride. my suggestion is a guy own at least 3 bikes

here is my optimum dsrider bike ownership program

a big one...................950 or gs

a medium one.............650

a small one................250 may substitute 525 or plated 450

and a beater for your friends

so there you have it monti, start letting your wife know right now of your multiple bike intentions. she will at the onset be upset with this new arrangement, you will suffer some backlash.............dont worry just keep adding the bikes. eventually she will grow weary trying to keep up and then the shift will come, another issue will magically appear, let her have control over that one, showing only minor resistence, you give in, reluctantly of course, nonetheless give way and show her you know who is wise in this relationship. this will satisfiy the need to be in control.

Also i would not mention the names steve and rob too much around her lest she think we are influencing you. she may grow to resent your pals, dont fret, its all part of the deal.

I have not even looked at the bikes yet, the junk dr has a good front end on it maybe monti you could help me switch them out.

isellers we missed you on this ride, lms be glad you were relaxing in cancun on a surfboard. pics coming soon

Rule # 2 Spy the guy in your eye before you fly at the Y.

slow is smooth, smooth is fast

http://www.centralvalleyds.com/

stevele5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #754
montibank
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevele5
I have not even looked at the bikes yet, the junk dr has a good front end on it maybe monti you could help me switch them out.
Steve,

Ask Rob, but I think you may get off easy. If the housing isn't damaged a bearing kit and a new set of end caps (er $30?) would likely fix the steering column issues. As far as the other damage that I caused I will repair.

Do you prefer camouflage or a primer flat black paint job?

Oh, btw I had noooooooo idea where the (*^% I was after we turned off that last pavement road when the sun was up. And again when we left shaver, LOST! I think I might be a lost cause when it comes to offroad directions. I need to bring my compass next time.

You know there is another option to getting a lighter bike. I could get off my arse more then once every six months.

Hehe just found this ... take a close look at the rear fender.... Doesn't that say it all!!

And I had it wrong... Dry the berg is only 244lbs ... HST yers is 228 lbs. A 1992 KX250 is 213 lbs. That is with the starter and battery, which I am going to remove the first of the two since it will not work. Yes on paper these things look GREAT. I will be keeping my berg as a toy. Perhaps one day I can put an 07 or 08 power plant in it.

~

Montibank

montibank screwed with this post 12-18-2007 at 12:00 AM
Old 12-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #755
stevele5
knight errant

camo

all the way

Old 12-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #756
tr1200
High Side

Oddometer: 862
Monti-
The Berg you pictured is the dreaded '03 650. This guy re-machined everything and used upgraded bearings/spacers/inserts/cams/chains/conrod etc. AND STILL GRENADED ! I think it was something on the stator side this time (?).

I can really appreciate your frustration. Hopefully Vintage will get it all sorted. Otherwise- 1988-2001 or 2004-present. If you get the 09 FE570 b4 me I'l get my feelin's hurt .

Regarding my previous post of an overnighter, it's been brought up that some would rather not brave the harsh Mojave cold. March I'm trying to make the bi-annual Husaberg rally (hopefully in Bend Oregon with Rick Bozarth taking the lead). So April is perfect in the desert. If we do the Mojave trail, our highest altitude will be around 5k'. Our staging area will be 2700' and destination around 300'.

Feedback/questions appreciated.
cheers-
HST
ps- camo looks GOOD
tr1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #757
stevele5
knight errant

dsrider

Old 12-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #758
dsrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Stevele5 KLR I mean KLX650

VERY NICE!

Tahoe Rubicon June 26-28/2009 Ride details see www.dsrider.com or email

Ideas welcome The adventure continues..... More to come as the plans are hammered out.
Fresno dual sport club wwwdsrider.com email dsriders@gmail.com

All welcome. John 3:16-17 Matt 6:33-34 SUAR www.dsrider.com we could use a camera/photographer for the ride
dsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #759
montibank
Happy

Husabust 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1200
March I'm trying to make the bi-annual Husaberg rally (hopefully in Bend Oregon with Rick Bozarth taking the lead).
Now that would be cool to get my arse to. When is it exactly? Maybe I can talk Dan's shop into pre-rebuilding my bike just for that event. I'll take it back from Vintage take it on a ride or two (if it makes it that far) then turn it over to Dan. I wonder if he can get it done in time...

I can't wait for them 12/15/07 pics, they gotta be good!

~

Michael
Old 12-19-2007, 09:37 PM   #760
tr1200
High Side

Oddometer: 862
Montibanks-
exact date tba. fwiw, if Vintage takes care of the bearing endplay problems (or what ever it was that caused the failures) you shouldn't need another "prebuild" .
HST
tr1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:45 PM   #761
lsellers
a DSRIDER

i'm riding down to vahalla (spelling) in visalia for breakfast in the morning and then run some errands down there if anyone wants to join. If you've never had fresh jam and ableskeevers (spelling think of pancake balls) you need to hit this place up.. Plannin on leaving Fresno around 8:45AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:11 AM   #762
dsrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731

Tahoe Rubicon June 26-28/2009 Ride details see www.dsrider.com or email

Ideas welcome The adventure continues..... More to come as the plans are hammered out.
Fresno dual sport club wwwdsrider.com email dsriders@gmail.com

All welcome. John 3:16-17 Matt 6:33-34 SUAR www.dsrider.com we could use a camera/photographer for the ride
dsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #763
lsellers
a DSRIDER

test
Old 12-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #764
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrider

test
Old 12-20-2007, 02:13 PM   #765
lsellers
a DSRIDER

The mad brit had to fix my post. It appearantly broke our thread or something. Back up and running!