ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #10036
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Im new here and not sure if this is the place or not to ask this. If its not just throw rocks and ignore me.

I want to take a offroad course in Ca on my new toy. I see AdMo, Garrahan and Motventures. The first and third look good to me.

Kind of looking for a multi day one.

Any advice?
go to rich olivers mystery school just up hwy 168 for pointers from a X race pro that actually teaches moto skills to all levels and law enforcement..

http://www.richoliver.net/

HEY CHIP YOU RACING SATURDAY?
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #10037
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
go to rich olivers mystery school just up hwy 168 for pointers from a X race pro that actually teaches moto skills to all levels and law enforcement..

http://www.richoliver.
Yep... What he said. I think chip'n'K mighta done this together... May have first hand experience info he is willing share.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #10038
chip
Follow Me

Oddometer: 1,763
Monti, you would have thought that from our awesome riding skills but no. it's all natural.

no racing for me this weekend. still under the weather and if I can muster up the energy I'm riding the vfr to it's new owner.

I think Lane did the school, get the insurance...
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #10039
montibank
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Monti, you would have thought that from our awesome riding skills but no. it's all natural.

no racing for me this weekend. still under the weather and if I can muster up the energy I'm riding the vfr to it's new owner.

I think Lane did the school, get the insurance...
Aha.... Layne did it then. I knew it was one of the usual suspects.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #10040
montibank
Happy

.... Rare find.

And even better its cheap!

http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/2848304405.html
Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #10041
MikeinFresno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
I did an evaluation for the state of a two day school Rich was getting going for cops. He does a good job, he is real good at riding as well. It is worth the money for the two day course for sure. But it isnt a off road cross country or MX riding course either. Its a basic get you going kind of thing.
MikeinFresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #10042
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
.... Rare find.

And even better its cheap!

http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/2848304405.html
Damn that's a steal! It would look real nice next to my 89 XT350
Old 02-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #10043
montibank
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaccassi View Post
Damn that's a steal! It would look real nice next to my 89 XT350
Hands off its mine... Er ... can I park it at your house so the Mrs. doesnt find it?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #10044
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,509
I learned more through the steve and rob school of doing rather than the actual class. Which I will admit has a lot of it's own list of benefits and pitfalls/drawbacks. I had already been riding in dirt so I can't tell you from a fresh perspective on the course itself. I walked away with one or two things that i found useful. I had signed up for the class with the idea of doing it with co-workers (more for them and less for me). It did build more confidence (used a much smaller bike) and it was fun. I found the second half of the day, the free ride on the track, to be the best part of the experience. Rich Oliver and his wife were really nice.

I still think that doing a jimmy Lewis class would be fun but I think I've learned more by observing some basic rules handed down to me and learning by doing - making my own mistakes and overcoming challenges.
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #10045
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,509
x challenges......
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #10046
montibank
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsellers View Post
x challenges......
Hehe
Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #10047
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,003
Hey folks, thought I'd drop a line. Buying a house in Modesto, so looks like no DS bike till 2013. The house is a pretty big deal...our first ever. Life is good.

Enjoying the hell out of the Tiger and this CA weather. Spring is awesome here. Or is it still winter? (my buds are freezing their nipples off in NY)

Hope all is well with the ADV crowd.

-Dave
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #10048
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsellers View Post
I learned more through the steve and rob school of doing rather than the actual class. Which I will admit has a lot of it's own list of benefits and pitfalls/drawbacks. I had already been riding in dirt so I can't tell you from a fresh perspective on the course itself. I walked away with one or two things that i found useful. I had signed up for the class with the idea of doing it with co-workers (more for them and less for me). It did build more confidence (used a much smaller bike) and it was fun. I found the second half of the day, the free ride on the track, to be the best part of the experience. Rich Oliver and his wife were really nice.

I still think that doing a jimmy Lewis class would be fun but I think I've learned more by observing some basic rules handed down to me and learning by doing - making my own mistakes and overcoming challenges.
Ive been looking at the JL school and Motoventures too. I thought I was set on Riches school being so close and all but I think I want more dirtbike schooling first. I think Ill do the mystery school after I do one of the big ones.

Thanks for the pointers
McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #10049
chip
Follow Me

Oddometer: 1,763
after one school and some seat time you won't need another school. seat time is really all you need. just go out and ride your bike, fall down, pick it up, and keep going... have fun.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #10050
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,281
Sergios memorial sign on powerhouse has been crashed into ..perhaps he kept someone from sending their car over the dropoff..
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote