ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #10036
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes
 
wrk2surf's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
Oddometer: 6,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Im new here and not sure if this is the place or not to ask this. If its not just throw rocks and ignore me.

I want to take a offroad course in Ca on my new toy. I see AdMo, Garrahan and Motventures. The first and third look good to me.

Kind of looking for a multi day one.

Any advice?
go to rich olivers mystery school just up hwy 168 for pointers from a X race pro that actually teaches moto skills to all levels and law enforcement..

http://www.richoliver.net/



HEY CHIP YOU RACING SATURDAY?
__________________
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #10037
montibank
Happy
 
montibank's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fresno, Ca
Oddometer: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
go to rich olivers mystery school just up hwy 168 for pointers from a X race pro that actually teaches moto skills to all levels and law enforcement..

http://www.richoliver.
Yep... What he said. I think chip'n'K mighta done this together... May have first hand experience info he is willing share.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #10038
chip
Follow Me
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Oddometer: 1,763
Monti, you would have thought that from our awesome riding skills but no. it's all natural.

no racing for me this weekend. still under the weather and if I can muster up the energy I'm riding the vfr to it's new owner.

I think Lane did the school, get the insurance...
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #10039
montibank
Happy
 
montibank's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fresno, Ca
Oddometer: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Monti, you would have thought that from our awesome riding skills but no. it's all natural.

no racing for me this weekend. still under the weather and if I can muster up the energy I'm riding the vfr to it's new owner.

I think Lane did the school, get the insurance...
Aha.... Layne did it then. I knew it was one of the usual suspects.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #10040
montibank
Happy
 
montibank's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fresno, Ca
Oddometer: 2,764
.... Rare find.

And even better its cheap!

http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/2848304405.html
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #10041
MikeinFresno
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Oddometer: 276
I did an evaluation for the state of a two day school Rich was getting going for cops. He does a good job, he is real good at riding as well. It is worth the money for the two day course for sure. But it isnt a off road cross country or MX riding course either. Its a basic get you going kind of thing.
MikeinFresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #10042
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer
 
JPaccassi's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Clovis, CA
Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
.... Rare find.

And even better its cheap!

http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/2848304405.html
Damn that's a steal! It would look real nice next to my 89 XT350
__________________
"Be true to yourself and you will never fall" ~Beastie Boys
JPaccassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #10043
montibank
Happy
 
montibank's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fresno, Ca
Oddometer: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaccassi View Post
Damn that's a steal! It would look real nice next to my 89 XT350
Hands off its mine... Er ... can I park it at your house so the Mrs. doesnt find it?
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #10044
lsellers
a DSRIDER
 
lsellers's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Fresno, California
Oddometer: 1,509
I learned more through the steve and rob school of doing rather than the actual class. Which I will admit has a lot of it's own list of benefits and pitfalls/drawbacks. I had already been riding in dirt so I can't tell you from a fresh perspective on the course itself. I walked away with one or two things that i found useful. I had signed up for the class with the idea of doing it with co-workers (more for them and less for me). It did build more confidence (used a much smaller bike) and it was fun. I found the second half of the day, the free ride on the track, to be the best part of the experience. Rich Oliver and his wife were really nice.

I still think that doing a jimmy Lewis class would be fun but I think I've learned more by observing some basic rules handed down to me and learning by doing - making my own mistakes and overcoming challenges.
__________________
Find out NOW at www.dsrider.com
As you walk, eat and travel, be where you are. Life can only take place in the present moment. If you lose the present moment you lose life itself.
Buddha
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #10045
lsellers
a DSRIDER
 
lsellers's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Fresno, California
Oddometer: 1,509
x challenges......
__________________
Find out NOW at www.dsrider.com
As you walk, eat and travel, be where you are. Life can only take place in the present moment. If you lose the present moment you lose life itself.
Buddha
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #10046
montibank
Happy
 
montibank's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fresno, Ca
Oddometer: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsellers View Post
x challenges......
Hehe
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #10047
Off the grid
Chaotic Good
 
Off the grid's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: That buzzing in your earhole, NorCal.
Oddometer: 10,003
Hey folks, thought I'd drop a line. Buying a house in Modesto, so looks like no DS bike till 2013. The house is a pretty big deal...our first ever. Life is good.

Enjoying the hell out of the Tiger and this CA weather. Spring is awesome here. Or is it still winter? (my buds are freezing their nipples off in NY)

Hope all is well with the ADV crowd.

-Dave
__________________
Wedding(s) = $30,000
Divorce(s) = $25,000
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS = Priceless
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #10048
McKay
Studly Adventurer
 
McKay's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Clovis, Ca.
Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsellers View Post
I learned more through the steve and rob school of doing rather than the actual class. Which I will admit has a lot of it's own list of benefits and pitfalls/drawbacks. I had already been riding in dirt so I can't tell you from a fresh perspective on the course itself. I walked away with one or two things that i found useful. I had signed up for the class with the idea of doing it with co-workers (more for them and less for me). It did build more confidence (used a much smaller bike) and it was fun. I found the second half of the day, the free ride on the track, to be the best part of the experience. Rich Oliver and his wife were really nice.

I still think that doing a jimmy Lewis class would be fun but I think I've learned more by observing some basic rules handed down to me and learning by doing - making my own mistakes and overcoming challenges.
Ive been looking at the JL school and Motoventures too. I thought I was set on Riches school being so close and all but I think I want more dirtbike schooling first. I think Ill do the mystery school after I do one of the big ones.

Thanks for the pointers
McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #10049
chip
Follow Me
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Oddometer: 1,763
after one school and some seat time you won't need another school. seat time is really all you need. just go out and ride your bike, fall down, pick it up, and keep going... have fun.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #10050
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes
 
wrk2surf's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
Oddometer: 6,281
Sergios memorial sign on powerhouse has been crashed into ..perhaps he kept someone from sending their car over the dropoff..
__________________
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014