ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #11131
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,504
MAY is the operative word here!
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #11132
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,708
Thats not how I remember it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsellers View Post
Dude! I am totally down and would like to pay all my fees well in advance thus cementing my interest in participating in this much anticipated and awesome event.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #11133
montibank
Happy

If this is a 650 this would be a cool project bike. Downside is looks like frame has been modified :/

http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/3296244048.html
Old 09-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #11134
theredrocket23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
I am totally in for LA /Barstow/Vegas event. I can help with transporting from Vegas home, or to Start of the event.
theredrocket23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #11135
KLXmcrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Klx 650 r

Hi guys, looking forward to my next visit to your area hopefully soon and more great riding.

Yes it appears to be a KLX 650 R model kickstart only,no battery etc.The off road model.
The frame mod appears to be the flat bracket across the back of the frame that connects
the right/left sides under the seat.Not a big deal cracks often needs to be replaced for strength.
The KLX does not have a removable subframe.The R model has hotter cams dif jetting than the C
model that I own.The service manual claims dry wgt @280 curb wgt 300.

Fair price if it runs well.And it's plated.. This was years before Honda XR 650R.. Kawasaki built it
with the idea to replace the KX500 that dominated desert racing until one of their best riders died
.Development stopped...JMHO...hearsay..BS etc...David
KLXmcrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #11136
montibank
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLXmcrider View Post
Hi guys, looking forward to my next visit to your area hopefully soon and more great riding.

Yes it appears to be a KLX 650 R model kickstart only,no battery etc.The off road model.
The frame mod appears to be the flat bracket across the back of the frame that connects
the right/left sides under the seat.Not a big deal cracks often needs to be replaced for strength.
The KLX does not have a removable subframe.The R model has hotter cams dif jetting than the C
model that I own.The service manual claims dry wgt @280 curb wgt 300.

Fair price if it runs well.And it's plated.. This was years before Honda XR 650R.. Kawasaki built it
with the idea to replace the KX500 that dominated desert racing until one of their best riders died
.Development stopped...JMHO...hearsay..BS etc...David
Hummm... That doesnt help. You were supposed to talk me out of it not make me drool all over the thought of owning it. Hah - I'll talk byron into it as his "long travel" dualsport.

Any idea what motor longevity/parts availability is like David?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #11137
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Monti do you know if Rob still has his klx? I have no idea if it's a C or an R. That might be some good insight into parts but you know Rob he'd make anything work and work well on it (undercover).
Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #11138
tr1200
High Side

Oddometer: 862
Hey guys- long time. I was just up in that area 2 weeks ago. Rode horses back into the Jennie Lakes Wilderness with the family. Missing 2 wheels though.

Ran into Up In Smoke at the restaurant last nitght and he told me of an adventurous bloke attempting Verplank recently. Must hear about it. I volunteer to help with trail maint if there's a work party being planned.

Cheers-
HST
tr1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #11139
montibank
Happy

Work party is saturday morning eeeeeearly arse. I am gonna try to be up tge hill no later than 0600. We shall see. Call me?

Layne - he still has it, and a second parts bike for it as well if I remember right.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #11140
KLXmcrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Runs great but beat up, plated $400 ! Don't blame me if you buy it Longevity is good,parts availability
can be sketchy(prod.93-96 US -99 overseas) after market goodies almost nil.The two problem areas that
come to mind first is fuel range and the ACCT. Oversize tanks > 3.5gal hard to find (2.1gal stk) I have the 4.5gal
Acerbis. Most people install the manual cam chain tensioner eliminating the auto adjustment failure. Seems
common to many brands Suzuki,Honda Kawasaki...

A $400 plated,running,beater bike just to have some FUN. Not a trailer/garage queen.Now the cons,the biggest
one KICK START,no button.The R model rear hub no cush drive( C model rear wheel fits w/diff spacers
and poss the KLR too) R forks have comp/reb adjustments.

You said there is someone in your area that has the KLX give him a call ask ??...David
Old 09-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #11141
KLXmcrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Monti ,here in the ADV Thumper section " KLX650 Riders Unite " lots of info,mods,builds etc
Old 09-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #11142
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Hope you're doing well Tom!

V-Plank trail maintenance sounds kind of fun. Multi night camp/cook/drink and clear event. Bike, Donkey or Wheel Barrel?

Monti: Maintenance, time off, dog sitting, and $$$!
Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #11143
tr1200
High Side

Oddometer: 862
Doing OK Lane. Never found the trail but know the area. And I would go with donkey or wheel barrow.

BTW, watch what's going in your tank: http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=49839
tr1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #11144
lsellers
a DSRIDER

I guess that's a great excuse to get a desert tank Tom. I had no idea that was on the radar. Do you think I can make the EPA buy my Touratech tank along with quality hoses and petcocks?

I have my father's AMA pin from the 70's. I think I should sign up.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #11145
montibank
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1200 View Post
Doing OK Lane. Never found the trail but know the area. And I would go with donkey or wheel barrow.

BTW, watch what's going in your tank: http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=49839
Interesting read. I'll have to comply by pouring the .6 gallon that wont fit in my tank on the ground to comply. Glad the epa has that solution all fugured out.