ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #11626
FiveOJester
Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Hey wait,
I had first dibs....
Why not install a 450 top end on your 400?
I always have a hard time justifying taking apart something that's working fine....hmmm maybe time to push the little 400 to it's limits! Thumper Racing makes a 453 kit that supposed to be the cat's meow. If i could just find $500 sitting on the side of the road...
Old 02-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #11627
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,553
Question Trade 4 a Honda? Mike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOJester View Post
I always have a hard time justifying taking apart something that's working fine....hmmm maybe time to push the little 400 to it's limits! Thumper Racing makes a 453 kit that supposed to be the cat's meow. If i could just find $500 sitting on the side of the road...
That sounds like a good plan....That 453 will scream up those hills.

Mike in Fresno, I have a nice 07' XR650L, we could work a trade deal, KTM 4 Honda?

Great ride out west Saturday, thanks Adam for leading, and Justin for sweeping.
JP can't wait the see the footage...

pcvance screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 03:49 PM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #11628
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
That sounds like a good plan....That 453 will scream up those hills.

Mike in Fresno, I have a nice 07' XR650L, we could work a trade deal, KTM 4 Honda?

Great ride out west Saturday, thanks Adam for leading, and Justin for sweeping.
JP can't wait the see the footage...
The footage is most excellent! I plugged the gopro into my brother 50" LED tv......freaking awesome I'll have some to post tomorrow, was out all day sunday learning to shoot a recurve bow, bass fishing, and playing mexican train.........it's a game played with dominoes, I swear

JP
Old 02-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #11629
slowerthanu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
cool,great ride you guys,hope you liked dirtbike disneyland.
yeah cant wait to see some footage too.
husaberg fe570 plated
slowerthanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #11630
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaccassi View Post
learning to shoot a recurve bow

JP
Did you guys find my arrow that was lost? I sailed a few over but lost 1. =(
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #11631
styger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
So I'm new to navigating advrider
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #11632
styger
Adventurer

So I'm new to navigating advrider. Has anyone started a thread of just the areas that can be rode with dual sports say in a 200 mile area. It seemed to me it would be useful to have ppl post locations, how to get there, cautions and concerns and maybe photos. Main thing would be to keep it simple
Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #11633
styger
Adventurer

Whoops. Operator error in posting.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #11634
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsellers View Post
Did you guys find my arrow that was lost? I sailed a few over but lost 1. =(
Were you shooting the orange or blacks? K said the neighbor brought an orange one over while we were out fishing....dont know if it could have gotten that far over though.lol.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #11635
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinFresno View Post
maybe you guys are misunderstanding. I have a new job, cant get hurt til off probation. Ive got a KTM 300 as well for the dirt. The 525 isnt a good road bike, tried it and it just isnt comfortable.Had SM wheels, geared right, etc. Not comfortable in DV for multi day rides, etc. So, Im thinking of getting an around town, quick run to the hills bike. Ive ridden the 650 and the 400. Seems the 650 is a turd, but it wasnt my bike and not much time on it. I have ridden the 400 a little more and thot it was the right bike...but you guys seem to like the 650 better. Still a thinking thing for now. I'll let you all know if the 525 goes up for sale. 06 525EXC, AZ lic plate, all the good stuff.

if you want a 600 cc road worthy bike get a LC4 or 625 sxc or a 640 adventure... they are so much better of a bike for what you are describing.
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #11636
MikeinFresno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
and are they trouble free low maintenance?
MikeinFresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #11637
GreeNug
210x2

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinFresno View Post
maybe you guys are misunderstanding. I have a new job, cant get hurt til off probation. Ive got a KTM 300 as well for the dirt. The 525 isnt a good road bike, tried it and it just isnt comfortable.Had SM wheels, geared right, etc. Not comfortable in DV for multi day rides, etc. So, Im thinking of getting an around town, quick run to the hills bike. Ive ridden the 650 and the 400. Seems the 650 is a turd, but it wasnt my bike and not much time on it. I have ridden the 400 a little more and thot it was the right bike...but you guys seem to like the 650 better. Still a thinking thing for now. I'll let you all know if the 525 goes up for sale. 06 525EXC, AZ lic plate, all the good stuff.
Have you thought about the husky TE610 at all? 06 & 07 for a carbed model and 08 & 09 if you prefer EFI. 6 speed and enough oomph to have fun on the pavement and fire roads yet still nimble enough to tackle most trails depending on how large ya are. 1000 miles between oil changes and standard rocker arm vavles for easy adjusting. You do need to do the cam chain @ 6000 miles or so but its fairly easy to do. There are a few other bike specific things to keep tabs on but overall they are know as good bikes. Just keep a spark plug with you, I had a little trouble on my last trip out, haha.

I was going through the same delima you are now about a year and a half ago and after reading till my eyes blead I ended up choosing a 610 and I love the stoopid thing so far.
GreeNug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #11638
GreeNug
210x2

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
The footage is most excellent! I plugged the gopro into my brother 50" LED tv......freaking awesome I'll have some to post tomorrow, was out all day sunday learning to shoot a recurve bow, bass fishing, and playing mexican train.........it's a game played with dominoes, I swear

JP
The last video you posted from the desert was awesome JP! Looking forward to this one.

When are you guys heading back to the coastal mountains again? I have always wanted to exore that area. I have a truck and can cover transport gas over?
GreeNug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #11639
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Were you shooting the orange or blacks? K said the neighbor brought an orange one over while we were out fishing....dont know if it could have gotten that far over though.lol.
I don't remember. I think I was shooting the blacks. I heard a loud CRACK thought maybe it had hit a rock or something even though it's hard to imagine it making it through all those thorn bushes.

And yea you should post that video. I'm
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #11640
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by styger View Post
So I'm new to navigating advrider
Quote:
So I'm new to navigating advrider. Has anyone started a thread of just the areas that can be rode with dual sports say in a 200 mile area. It seemed to me it would be useful to have ppl post locations, how to get there, cautions and concerns and maybe photos. Main thing would be to keep it simple
Quote:
Whoops. Operator error in posting.
Thanks for the chuckle.

What kinda bike you got there? *EDIT NEVERMIND - read your bio ... you got a DR650.

What time you get off work during the week? Anyone up for a mid-week ride? I am out for weekends until further notice (grrr spring sucks) gonna have to do it after work if its gonna git done.

Resident 'map heads' are:
JPacassi for 41/168 and to some extent 180 I believe
PCVance for 180/198/178

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeNug View Post
Just keep a spark plug with you, I had a little trouble on my last trip out, haha.

Hah!

montibank screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 12:09 PM
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote