ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #12316
up in smoke
RIDE

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
Whisky Falls

Camping

Planning on pushing my personal limits cause it'll piss off my physical therapist and its a new front tire I gotta scrub in... This should be good times.

Bring yer "A" game if yer coming lol. Damn its been waaaay to little riding for me this year... wtf eh?
I have forgotten where I placed my "A"game. Do you think it would be okey if I just bring my "B" game?
Old 06-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #12317
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by up in smoke View Post
I have forgotten where I placed my "A"game. Do you think it would be okey if I just bring my "B" game?
No. For you bring your C game... I wanna try to keep up.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #12318
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
SOTSNF Fund Raiser

Hey guys and gals in the California and neighboring states this may be of interest to you. These are very nice folks that fight to keep our trails open and CLEAN. You would not believe what trash is up in the camp sites.

Stewards of the Sierra National Forest 4th Annual Membership Drive, BBQ Fundraiser & Optional Dual Sport Adventure

Elks Lodge in Oakhurst California July 13/14, 2013

It’s that time of year again to come out and help show your support for the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest (SOTSNF) which were voted as the 2011 Volunteer Trail Group of the Year, for the Sierra National Forest, Region 5

All of California, and the USDA/USFS Nationwide. This will be our 4 th annual fundraising event for the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest an organization dedicated to keeping Public Access to the Sierra National Forest open for all to use and enjoy.

Donation
Your Tax deductable donation of $85.00 per person includes a Saturday Night BBQ, SOTSNF T-Shirt, and Membership to the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest a (Division of CTUC a 501-C3 not for profit).

Raffle
There will be a raffle table full of swag and prizes after the BBQ on Saturday night and some well deserved awards given out to those who braved our Optional Dual Sport Adventure.

Dual Sport Adventure (Optional)
On Saturday and Sunday there will be an Optional Self Guided Dual Sport Adventure through the Sierra National Forest north of Oakhurst and the Bass Lake area. Roll Charts and GPS tracks will be provided to guide you along the scenic routes (bring a camera) which will consist of great back roads and trails throughout the area. The route will be approximately 100 miles on Saturday and 80 miles on Sunday.

Optional hard way splits for the more experienced rider.

The adventures will start and end at
the Elks Lodge in Oakhurst, CA
(Hwy 41/Rd 222 North of Oakhurst).

On Saturday’s route, food and gas will be available for purchase at the lunch/gas stop at the Triangle store. Sunday’s route is a 100 mile loop and there will be gas/lunch stop at the famous Jones Store.

If you choose to participate in the Optional Dual Sport Adventure, your bike must be street legal, be able to go 75 miles on a tank of gas, and meet the USFS 96db sound level and spark arrestor requirements.

Click here for event sign up.http://www.sotsnf.org/pdf/2013_BBQ_Flyer.pdf
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #12319
Faceman214
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hey everyone! I recently purchased a 93 Honda xr650l and I am looking to start doing trails and fire roads. I am new too off roading and hoping I can ride with other off roaders and get tips and advice. Also where is the best place to start riding? I live in Fresno and want to start going on fire roads and such!

Thanks!

Steve
Faceman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #12320
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
Hey guys and gals in the California and neighboring states this may be of interest to you. These are very nice folks that fight to keep our trails open and CLEAN. You would not believe what trash is up in the camp sites.

Stewards of the Sierra National Forest 4th Annual Membership Drive, BBQ Fundraiser & Optional Dual Sport Adventure

Elks Lodge in Oakhurst California July 13/14, 2013

It’s that time of year again to come out and help show your support for the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest (SOTSNF) which were voted as the 2011 Volunteer Trail Group of the Year, for the Sierra National Forest, Region 5

All of California, and the USDA/USFS Nationwide. This will be our 4 th annual fundraising event for the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest an organization dedicated to keeping Public Access to the Sierra National Forest open for all to use and enjoy.

Donation
Your Tax deductable donation of $85.00 per person includes a Saturday Night BBQ, SOTSNF T-Shirt, and Membership to the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest a (Division of CTUC a 501-C3 not for profit).

Raffle
There will be a raffle table full of swag and prizes after the BBQ on Saturday night and some well deserved awards given out to those who braved our Optional Dual Sport Adventure.

Dual Sport Adventure (Optional)
On Saturday and Sunday there will be an Optional Self Guided Dual Sport Adventure through the Sierra National Forest north of Oakhurst and the Bass Lake area. Roll Charts and GPS tracks will be provided to guide you along the scenic routes (bring a camera) which will consist of great back roads and trails throughout the area. The route will be approximately 100 miles on Saturday and 80 miles on Sunday.

Optional hard way splits for the more experienced rider.

The adventures will start and end at
the Elks Lodge in Oakhurst, CA
(Hwy 41/Rd 222 North of Oakhurst).

On Saturday’s route, food and gas will be available for purchase at the lunch/gas stop at the Triangle store. Sunday’s route is a 100 mile loop and there will be gas/lunch stop at the famous Jones Store.

If you choose to participate in the Optional Dual Sport Adventure, your bike must be street legal, be able to go 75 miles on a tank of gas, and meet the USFS 96db sound level and spark arrestor requirements.

Click here for event sign up.http://www.sotsnf.org/pdf/2013_BBQ_Flyer.pdf
Worthy of its own thread! reposting... The dinner is great at the elks too !
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #12321
montibank
Happy

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Worthy of its own thread! reposting... The dinner is great at the elks too !
Agreed. I need to stop being a naysayer about this sort of activity. Small kids in the house I get out to ride maybe a dozen times a year, so I dont have a lot of time to be involved. Maybe when the kids get older I can, maybe they could pitch in too.

Dave - radiator is fine, rode the piss out of the bike all day. Even had a really spetacular go down (that no one saw damit!) pushing it when I shouldnt have. Good times for sure. Thanks for the Hinekin!

Nate - don't hate me, but I love them rocks.

Damn, Michelin Desert Race (DOT) front was absolutley killer today. Saved my arse countless times! I have been running D606s since I wore out the stock tires in 2008. What a difference that tire made. I need to try the matching rear, that may be the new favorite combo.

Shock adjustments helped too, stiffer settings and fresh fork oil go a long way!

Woltz... Damn you got me thinking about getting in shape... Looks like I will be on craigslist looking for a speedbag.

Damn wish I woulda gotten around you on that rock Byron, hope you didnt mind the little love tap.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #12322
redwave
sue eee! (Pig Man)

Oddometer: 448
Good, and Thanks

Thanks Mo for the bike and Good I didn't break it. Ya' know riding yours it made me, nay- forced me, to recall my plans one day to do a suspension re-build worthy of my riding abilities X my mass/gravity ratio. Never done it. Who would anyone recommend? Thanks

Welcome Faceman214! You found the right place
Old 06-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #12323
montibank
Happy

Well... If its a matter of intalling a kit (springs, valves, oil etc) you and I could do it. I bet there are reputable outfits that you could call, give them your height/weight and riding preferences to and they could likely sell you a bit for it. Byron might have some good ideas too...

Precision Concepts did the forks in my 950 (previous owner) and I saw some articles about 5 time winner of the baja 1000 (in 2002) worked with them for suspension work on that bike. They charge an arm and a leg, but if they could reccomend spring rates/progressive vs. Nonprogressive set up for you and emulators (if such exists for that bike) doing the labor yourself could save you a bundle.

montibank screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 08:23 PM
Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #12324
GreeNug
210x2

Oddometer: 176
Great weekend of riding, thanks to Monti for spurring this one on. No sweat guy, I loves me some rocks too and will be back to that trail to conquer that tricky section sometime soon like.

Nice meeting ya Dave and that crazy ice chest of yours. Every time you pulled out an ice cold beer 2 more seemed to magically appear it its place??? Haha.

I only took one pic this weekend
GreeNug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #12325
up in smoke
RIDE

Oddometer: 59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppNF-bimENg
Old 06-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #12326
PotentialScat
aint

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by up in smoke View Post
7 minutes and not 1 ow or oh shit??!! me needs a lite bike. Last weekend my tankbag, full of bottled water, smashed my nads when i was bombing up some rocks. I just fell over and pondered how long the bike could run on its side before i needed to hit the kill switch.

BigDave, good to hear you got some riding in.

Bragging on my better half segment:

We were going to go moto camping but got shut down by a *dead battery* on saturday. Got a new battery and headed out early sunday am. Went up old tollhouse to shaver refueled and then to florence lake and back down the 4 lane. Her 1st 180 mile day and her 1st freeway. Got a text at lunch today: "triceps sore."

*dead battery* Stopped up on kaiser and her bike wouldn't start. Now the new battery is dead. Found a loose wire, push started the bike and all was good. So she also got to experience having her bike torn apart on the side of the road a hundred miles from home. Was a good day.

centralvalleyds
PotentialScat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #12327
piedralone
SoilSampleCollecter

Oddometer: 156
Welcome Steve, nice to another BRP here. Tips: lower gears, bigger tank, knobbier tires. Head east or south east, any dirt road.
piedralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #12328
piedralone
SoilSampleCollecter

Oddometer: 156
You sure know how to show a girl a good time.
piedralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #12329
montibank
Happy

The wife and kiddos ditched me so I am gonna make good of the time... Departing in 30 minutes, knobbies not required but road I am taking is rocky as hell. Holler if'n yer interested, taking the 950 pace will be medium/slow.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #12330
PotentialScat
aint

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by piedralone View Post
You sure know how to show a girl a good time.
they smile, i smile.

-----

Welcome to the madness Steve.

centralvalleyds
PotentialScat is offline   Reply With Quote