ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #12481
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Ok great Monti, we are heading out from Jacks house in Three Rivers, I'll call you when we leave, 45-60 minutes away, Friday morning early, by 0600. Josh, are you still going?
Should I meet you at Jack's or at someplace on 198? I know there is a gas station on ... er 198 and 63?? What sorta speeds are yall planning on maintaining. I am geared to cruise for extended periods no greater speeds then 70... 65 is my happy spot :p

Nate was talking about going maybe too... gotta pester him and see if he is in.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #12482
montibank
Happy

Oh and report on jetting hit it dead on first try after modifying exhaust configuration slightly. Runs great with spark arrestor in, and certainly the best since I have owned it. This weekend aught to be great for pinpointing final adjustments (if needed) by hitting some good elevation. I suspect it could use a little more gas on the needle, if it runs better around 10000' I'll know im just a little lean midrange. No lean surging (was before 1/4 to 1/2 throttle) so its certainly better.

Grabbed several steps up on both mains - pulls much better at 7500 rpm now and if it picks up at elevation I might even go up one more step :p
Old 07-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #12483
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
Should I meet you at Jack's or at someplace on 198? I know there is a gas station on ... er 198 and 63?? What sorta speeds are yall planning on maintaining. I am geared to cruise for extended periods no greater speeds then 70... 65 is my happy spot :p

We are staying at jacks tomorrow night, you are welcome to stay with us....
65 is perfect, Josh is on his 250, and the speed limit through the park is 45.
Nate? The more the merrier!
Old 07-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #12484
GreeNug
210x2

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
I think I'm gonna have to pie out. I haven't even got a back tire yet much less mounted it. Can't get outta work on Friday until 3 or so and would have to truck over as I'm not set up to camp off the bike quite yet. Been too damn busy here lately, grrrr.

Have fun guys, I'm gonna have to wait till next year to make that event.
GreeNug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #12485
Scrambleon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Thumb

I'm in for WMRS. I'll meet you guys along the way. If it doesn't fit on the KLX I guess I don't need it!

Scrambleon
Scrambleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #12486
montibank
Happy

Quote:
We are staying at jacks tomorrow night, you are welcome to stay with us....
Thanks for the offer but I am already burning too many brownie points out in the garage and screwing around one more night might really git me in the doghouse.

Quote:
65 is perfect, Josh is on his 250, and the speed limit through the park is 45.
Yuck - 45?! Cool about 65 being a happy pace though, bike should cruise right there all day long.

Sweet - front tire mounted, balancing now - looks purdy. Have to mount the rear tomorrow when tube comes in at cycle gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeNug View Post
I think I'm gonna have to pie out. I haven't even got a back tire yet much less mounted it. Can't get outta work on Friday until 3 or so and would have to truck over as I'm not set up to camp off the bike quite yet. Been too damn busy here lately, grrrr.

Have fun guys, I'm gonna have to wait till next year to make that event.
I would offer to mount your rear tire for you but you gots them purdy rims and I don't have gentle hands on finished parts. I have more room them I am going to use with the GOBI boxes on, If you ever need a little stowage space to camp off bike I could prolly find some room on my rig for gear for you.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #12487
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambleon View Post
I'm in for WMRS. I'll meet you guys along the way. If it doesn't fit on the KLX I guess I don't need it!

Scrambleon
Where ya want to meet in Oakhurst?
What time? Breakfast stop ? Monti, meet us there too?
Old 07-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #12488
Scrambleon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Where ya want to meet in Oakhurst?
What time? Breakfast stop ? Monti, meet us there too?
I don't know Oakhurst too well anything better than Starbucks or McDonalds? You name the time, I'll be there.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #12489
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Thumb Meeting place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambleon View Post
I don't know Oakhurst too well anything better than Starbucks or McDonalds? You name the time, I'll be there.
Denny's, not much better than McDonald's, but it's open early and easy to find.....
0800, see ya there!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #12490
montibank
Happy

Quote:
I hope to be riding the 640 over Tioga on Friday.
Quote:
Denny's, not much better than McDonald's, but it's open early and easy to find.....
0800, see ya there!
Ok - I was confused as hell missed your first post on what route you were taking - Tioga will be a cool ride over. So Denny's in Oakhurst at 0800. I will be there.

Got impatient and mounted the rear with the existing rear tube - which looked immaculate so I will have a spare in one of my boxes in case.

Bike prepped - boxes on, washing laundry and packing tonight.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #12491
Scrambleon
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Sounds good. See you at Denny's 0800.

Scrambleon
Old 08-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #12492
PotentialScat
aint

Oddometer: 1,145
You guys are gonna have fun. Maybe next year for me.

--------------

The oregon trip was fantastic. First day we rode the little dragon and ended the day camped on a jeep trail at gold lake drinking beer out of a bowl.
Second day was Lassen NP (awesome road sucky speed limit) and ended in Klamath Falls where we grabbed a room and did a load of laundry.

Third day a few miles after we left were monster swarms of bugs on the east side of the lake. Hit Crater Lake (spectacular views) then got lost and had a 1 hour detour on some killer dirt and pea gravel roads up a mountain, around a mountain, and back to where we started. Back on track we then rode the most awesome hiway 138 from eastern Oregon to the coast where we met up with Chip at Reedsport. After a meal we hit the road and scrambling for a place to camp ended up gorilla camped somewhere off hiway 1 where a dirt road had a quad track that turned into a small game trail.

Forth day was a cold misty ride down the Oregon coast through a parade where I stood and did the parade wave and into norcal where we got off the 1 and onto Mattole Rd with spectacular views as the road winds down to the coast. We had a lot of fun with the good sight lines and clear road. Events of the day include Chip buying some smoked elk, bison, and salmon, made friends with a drooling dog, partied under a bridge, got hugged by a homeless guy and some lady said we remind her of Bruce Springsteen and starts singing born to be wild. We ended up camped at a deserted campground on the lost coast after passing up a festival of some sorts where people were waving us in.

Fifth day we started with Usal Road and I was in the groove having a blast drifting corners with luggage and aired down 244's which seemed to have suprising traction and predictable slippage this particular morning. Some where down the road I stop and eventually Chip and Justin show up looking like they rode through a chocolate powder factory explosion. I couldn't help but laugh. Further on I almost hit a deer and we see elk on the beach. We crashed at Justin's Dad's house near Fort Bragg that night.

Sixth day was another cold foggy ride down the coast. Lane splitting for miles through a traffic jam in Santa Cruz was fun. We rode into the foggy night and turned onto Niacmete (sp) Road (goes from hiway 1 thru the Los Padres forest and into a military base the name escapes me.) Going up this road, tired, in the foggy dark I couldn't see anything but tail lights and maybe 10 feet of tarmac before it all went white. Condensation on the visor and my glasses and the penatly for a mistake seemed so high, I was ready to tap out and backed off the throttle. Justin and Chip stop and after a cigarette or two my nerves calmed and we eased up the mountain till we popped out above the fog to amazing views of mountains and fog over the ocean. Found a nice camp in amazingly warm air where we drink beer with no campfire and slept on the ground on a tarp. Chip set his tarp next to me and I ask him why his face is so close to mine. He said, "Would you rather smell this," as he stuck his foot towards my face. I pulled his sock off and threw it in the bushes. He says "Man, that's fucked up." I laugh and tell him he's laying in the fire pit.

Seventh day Chip is up at six covered in ash and off to long beach by 7. Justin and I plot a route to Hunter Leggit (i remembered yay)

and have a fun fast paced ride home after seaching for gas and ending up in front of some tatted down gangsters house. Home at 1:20 got cleaned up, took a nap and picked Chip up from the bus station at just before midnight.

centralvalleyds

PotentialScat screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 02:29 AM
PotentialScat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #12493
montibank
Happy

Only place you lost me is San Diego... You mean Santa Cruz?
Old 08-01-2013, 02:20 AM   #12494
PotentialScat
aint

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Only place you lost me is San Diego... You mean Santa Cruz?
yeah that place

centralvalleyds
PotentialScat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #12495
Scrambleon
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh Nice ride report guys!

Ben, Justin and Chip, What a great trip. Looks like you guys had a blast as usual. Nice pictures. Wish you guys could join us at the WMRS ride.

Scrambleon