ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #12556
FiveOJester
Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaccassi View Post
Last one

Part 4, around 2:00 you can see where the XT left Nate on his TE610 in the dust!
Old 08-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #12557
FiveOJester
Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer: 252
Hey guys, I wanted to get some opinions. I'm helping my father-in-law sell his 94 KTM 300 2-stroke, PLATED. It was plated back in the 90s before all the new laws. Trying to figure out a starting point for value. If it wasn't street legal, I would say somewhere in the $750-1000 range. However with the plate I'm thinking the value will be a lot higher, especially as a 2-stroke with the plate is very rare here in California. I'm thinking somewhere in the $2500-3500 range. $2500 seems to be the bottom for dual-sport bikes. There are 97-99 XT225's going for $2500 on Craigslist in the LA area!

One caveaut, the bike needs a new ignition system. The bike was running great up until recently when the ignition coil took a dump. They no longer sell the coil, so the best solution is a replacement stator/coil system for $400 (newer digital style). The original SEM system is known for issues so this would be a good selling point. Obviously a running bike is much easier to sell than a non-running so I'm thinking the $400 would be a good investment, however I'd hate to spend the $400 if it doesn't add any value. Monti thinks sell as-is.

Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #12558
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOJester View Post
Hey guys, I wanted to get some opinions. I'm helping my father-in-law sell his 94 KTM 300 2-stroke, PLATED. It was plated back in the 90s before all the new laws. Trying to figure out a starting point for value. If it wasn't street legal, I would say somewhere in the $750-1000 range. However with the plate I'm thinking the value will be a lot higher, especially as a 2-stroke with the plate is very rare here in California. I'm thinking somewhere in the $2500-3500 range. $2500 seems to be the bottom for dual-sport bikes. There are 97-99 XT225's going for $2500 on Craigslist in the LA area!

One caveaut, the bike needs a new ignition system. The bike was running great up until recently when the ignition coil took a dump. They no longer sell the coil, so the best solution is a replacement stator/coil system for $400 (newer digital style). The original SEM system is known for issues so this would be a good selling point. Obviously a running bike is much easier to sell than a non-running so I'm thinking the $400 would be a good investment, however I'd hate to spend the $400 if it doesn't add any value. Monti thinks sell as-is.

Thoughts?
I think as soon as DMV gets it with the new owners name they will pull the plate and sticker it. Might be best to figure this out first. CARB and DMV have become unbearable lately.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #12559
MikeinFresno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
I cant imagine the bike being worth $2500, Ive been doing KTMs for years now and just don't see it, plate or not.
MikeinFresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #12560
MikeinFresno
Gnarly Adventurer

got me an 07 DRZ400SM today. Now need a set of dirt wheels with proper size rotors. May finally get to go with you boys once in a while. My 525 is just too harsh to ride from home to the hills n back. Did several 100+ dirt days on it, several days in a row, hurts me in my advanced age.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #12561
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Agreed, im starting to truck mine around again.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #12562
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Agreed, im starting to truck mine around again.
You guys,
Balance the wheels and install a Seat Concepts seat, the 525 becomes a nice dual sport. I still truck mine alot though.......
Or ride the 640.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #12563
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
You guys,
Balance the wheels
+1

Drool: http://motorcycles.smartcarguide.com/listing/30717775/
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #12564
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
You guys,
Balance the wheels and install a Seat Concepts seat, the 525 becomes a nice dual sport. I still truck mine alot though.......
Or ride the 640.
I am balancing now, this habit of trucking started when I had the Husky, frickin thing put my whole body to sleep on blacktop.
The new ride is ALOT better just don't enjoy blacktop if I don't have too.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #12565
ffjmoore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
anybody going to ride this weekend? I was thinking about riding in to strawberry lake since i may finally be off on a Saturday.
ffjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #12566
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffjmoore View Post
anybody going to ride this weekend? I was thinking about riding in to strawberry lake since i may finally be off on a Saturday.
What kind of scooter?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #12567
ffjmoore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Well if we ride up i guess i would take the xr600 but if we drive I could take my CRF450. Its plated but does not go very fast on the highway.
ffjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #12568
MikeinFresno
Gnarly Adventurer

Ive been balancing for years, got seat, doesn't help on the 6 hr rides
Old 08-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #12569
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffjmoore View Post

A couple of us will be camping up at mono hot springs this weekend. Anyone's welcome to join us, we'll be riding up Friday after work, coming back Sunday.

There's a little bit of dirt up there & I'm sure we'll find all we can, but it'll definitely be a dual sport ride not much technical dirt up there other than the Dusy. We'll ride most of the day Saturday (florence & edison lakes, bear creek diversion, hooper diversion, onion springs ohv trail, etc), lunch or dinner at the mono hot springs restaurant, soak in the hot tubs with a beer

If anyone wants to meet us at the mono hot springs campground saturday morning let me know before tomorrow at 5pm so we'll know to be on the look out.

JP
Old 08-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #12570
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaccassi View Post
A couple of us will be camping up at mono hot springs this weekend. Anyone's welcome to join us, we'll be riding up Friday after work, coming back Sunday.

There's a little bit of dirt up there & I'm sure we'll find all we can, but it'll definitely be a dual sport ride not much technical dirt up there other than the Dusy. We'll ride most of the day Saturday (florence & edison lakes, bear creek diversion, hooper diversion, onion springs ohv trail, etc), lunch or dinner at the mono hot springs restaurant, soak in the hot tubs with a beer

If anyone wants to meet us at the mono hot springs campground saturday morning let me know before tomorrow at 5pm so we'll know to be on the look out.

JP
Damn sick as a dog... Love going up to that area though. We shall see, unlikely unfourtunaely. :/
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote