ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #12616
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaccassi View Post
....although if someone wanted to ride there & back I might be persuaded to do so as well
I'd like to ride out there if I can go. Got a solid date? I'll start putting in for leave of absence now.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #12617
montibank
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFaux View Post
I was given a very low mileage, running, Suzuki DR125 (marked Z model on the info plate). I was wondering if it would be worth trying to get it to street legal status in california or is the requesite hoop jumping just way too bad?

Chris
What year is it? The older it is the more likely the DMV wont know what should and should not have a plate.

STUPID me turned one down for a yamaha 1981 2 stroke 110 that should never have been offered a plate. Its not impossible.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #12618
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
I was given a very low mileage, running, Suzuki DR125 (marked Z model on the info plate). I was wondering if it would be worth trying to get it to street legal status in california or is the requesite hoop jumping just way too bad?

Chris
My understanding is that if the bike was street legal when the dealer sold it you can plate it now. If the bike was sold as a dirt bike when the dealer sold it and it wasn't plated by some long gone date, get yourself a green sticker.

I know someone that plated a dirt bike through some wizardary by a dealer in Tahoe. A few years later the DMV requested the plate back. I think it's a crap shoot. Sometimes you win.
Utah / Colorado http://tinyurl.com/lcy2yhu
Mexico http://tinyurl.com/lhgznun
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #12619
FiveOJester
Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer: 253
Quote:

Chris
What year, and is that a 2-stroke? Anything below 200cc isn't "freeway legal". Don't think that applies to highways that aren't freeways (like Highway 168 outside Fresno), but I could be wrong.

Anything plated before 2004 is grand-fathered in. Post 2004 the law says factory street legal for a new plate, but many people have stories of succussfully plating dirt bikes. Talk to PVance...
Old 09-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #12620
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
A couple of us are hoping to get to Moab in April next year, probably around the first week of the month...

If anyone is interested, I'm sure we'll start putting plans together in the next month or 2.

JP
I would be interested but not riding to Moab because it's a long straight boring tire eating ride for much of the distance.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #12621
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOJester View Post
What year, and is that a 2-stroke? Anything below 200cc isn't "freeway legal".

Don't think that applies to highways that aren't freeways (like Highway 168 outside Fresno), but I could be wrong.
Do you have a source on the 200cc limit? I keep hearing that, but never seeing anything official to back it up. Not saying I'd want to take a 200cc bike on the freeway, but I'd like to know the law for certain.

Best of my knowledge you are correct on the freeway/highway thing. Many highways are freeways, at least in parts, but state highways are just numbered routes, not controlled access freeways.

MV
Old 09-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #12622
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Do you have a source on the 200cc limit? I keep hearing that, but never seeing anything official to back it up. Not saying I'd want to take a 200cc bike on the freeway, but I'd like to know the law for certain.

Best of my knowledge you are correct on the freeway/highway thing. Many highways are freeways, at least in parts, but state highways are just numbered routes, not controlled access freeways.

MV
I think it is in the M license test prep book.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #12623
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
I think it is in the M license test prep book.
I know what's in that book, and have looked it up again since my last post. And it's not 200cc's. Nor is it 200cc's on the CHP site. But everyone keeps saying 200cc's, so I'm looking to see where that number is coming from.

MV
Old 09-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #12624
montibank
Happy

CVC 21960 http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=21949-21971

and

CVC 405 http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...0&file=100-680

Mean 150cc or more is freeway legal. So yes... if I were a complete moron with a death wish I could take my wifes 1986 TLR 200 (displacement 196cc) on the freeway.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:06 AM   #12625
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Nice write up & pics thanks for posting that

A couple of us are hoping to get to Moab in April next year, probably around the first week of the month before the week long Easter jeep jamboree. We'll most likely be driving & will trailer the bikes there....although if someone wanted to ride there & back I might be persuaded to do so as well

If anyone is interested, I'm sure we'll start putting plans together in the next month or 2.

JP
Might be interested in spending some time in Moab! Will keep an eye for some info, would be a good chance to ride through Capital Reef on the way, perhaps.

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #12626
SilverFaux
never satisfied

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOJester View Post
What year, and is that a 2-stroke? Anything below 200cc isn't "freeway legal". Don't think that applies to highways that aren't freeways (like Highway 168 outside Fresno), but I could be wrong.

Anything plated before 2004 is grand-fathered in. Post 2004 the law says factory street legal for a new plate, but many people have stories of succussfully plating dirt bikes. Talk to PVance...
Its 1982 and 4 stroke so im pretty sure it can get it on the freeway. Im told they were able to squeek 70 MPG out of these babys.
It would be an awesome commuter at that mileage
"We should all be riding the bike that puts the biggest smile on our face. Fast, slow, heavy, light, 1cyl, 2cyl, 3cyl, 4cyl, 6cyl, American mfg., Japanese mfg., European mfg., it's all good if it makes you smile, no?" - Roadscum
And if not,

SilverFaux screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 09:56 AM Reason: oops, read the vehicle code - no freeway for me. :(
SilverFaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #12627
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Its 1982 and 4 stroke so im pretty sure it can get it on the freeway. Im told they were able to squeek 70 MPG out of these babys.
I'd take the "pink" to the DMV and go through the motions. As for riding it on the highway I can tell you that if the traffic flow is more than 65 you're a sitting duck and won't feel safe. The bike may do 65, my DRZ400S geared down will do 65, and I've done it for hours on end but I didn't like that the cars were passing me much faster. It's the closing speed that freaked me the most.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #12628
FiveOJester
Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
I'd be surprised if that air-cooled 125 can even hit 50mph. My XT225 (80's vintage air-cooled) tops out right around 70. That's with the throttle wide open in top gear (not at redline).
Old 09-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #12629
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Yesterday I wrestled about removing the old Pirelli MT21 rear 140/80-18 and installing a new on my wheel. I pinched the tube. Dismount, repair puncture, remount, inflate, POW))). Wifey says that didn't sound good. The sweat was dripping off my face like a summer shower. Yeah! I say. And there is sat over night. Today in the AM I dismounted one bead and removed the torn to shreds tube to see what was the matter. I managed to twist the tube yesterday and so it went ca-blam-o. Oddly the patch held. I didn't like that tube anyway cause it was a regular duty stocker. I went up to the cycle shop in Oakhurst where they searched without finding me a HD tube. Then Lonnie the owner said he had one at home. He went for it, I did another errand, and returned to find a new HD tube. Lick-ity split I installed it and now the chore is complete. I won the second round against the Pirelli. Now if it weren't so damn hot. Then again I have many road races to watch on the weekend.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #12630
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Hey Joe did your cabin survive the fire, I heard that Evergreen was right in the thick of it? Hope everything is ok..

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote