ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #12811
KimBoy
Cloud Chaser

Oddometer: 159
Bike is currently down for some mx. Hopefully have it back up weds. Sorting a valve adjustment and gear issue. Got a little more metal on the oil magnet than I would like to see. No chunks a least. Not sure if its a dr thing or on the verge of something bigger.
KimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #12812
FiveOJester
Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer: 225
So I've ridden my XT225 for 5,500 miles, most if it off-road. I ride the piss out of it, but always make sure to change oil often, check valves, etc. I've let numerous people ride it. Newbies, experts. Probably 20-30 different people. Never missed a beat.

I lend it out to a friend of a friend, on a ride which I'm not attending. They ride all day, supposedly baby it. When they get back to the truck it stops working. They kill the battery trying to start it. So I get it back with "won't start, battery is dead". Figured it was flooded, which the bike has issues with if it gets layed down.

I charge the battery, and try myself. Nothing. Check the valves, good. Check for spark. Nothing. Start checking electrical with ohm meter. Everything checks out good, except for the magneto. Nothing. Pull the magneto/stator out of the bike and check the leads on the unit itself, just to be sure it isn't wiring. Nothing. New magneto/stator cost: $250 from the cheapest source I can find. Retail is $325.

I checked with the XT225.com guys, they typically get around 10-12k out of the magnetos. So much for Yamaha reliability...

For grins I checked the cost of a new stator for my KTM (2004 400EXC): $158! So much for KTM being overpriced...

JP are you still on your original stator with 40k+ on the DR? That one's a cool $510 if you have to replace it...

FiveOJester screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 12:22 PM
FiveOJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #12813
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOJester View Post
So I've ridden my XT225 for 5,500 miles, most if it off-road. I ride the piss out of it, but always make sure to change oil often, check valves, etc. I've let numerous people ride it. Newbies, experts. Probably 20-30 different people. Never missed a beat.

I lend it out to a friend of a friend, on a ride which I'm not attending. They ride all day, supposedly baby it. When they get back to the truck it stops working. They kill the battery trying to start it. So I get it back with "won't start, battery is dead". Figured it was flooded, which the bike has issues with if it gets layed down.

I charge the battery, and try myself. Nothing. Check the valves, good. Check for spark. Nothing. Start checking electrical with ohm meter. Everything checks out good, except for the magneto. Nothing. Pull the magneto/stator out of the bike and check the leads on the unit itself, just to be sure it isn't wiring. Nothing. New magneto/stator cost: $250 from the cheapest source I can find. Retail is $325.

I checked with the XT225.com guys, they typically get around 10-12k out of the magnetos. So much for Yamaha reliability...

For grins I checked the cost of a new stator for my KTM (2004 400EXC): $158! So much for KTM being overpriced...

JP are you still on your original stator with 40k+ on the DR? That one's a cool $510 if you have to replace it...

$510/40,000 miles = $12.75 per 1000 miles
$325/5500 miles = $60 per 1000 miles

DR is still cheaper to operate :p
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #12814
FiveOJester
Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
$510/40,000 miles = $12.75 per 1000 miles
$325/5500 miles = $60 per 1000 miles

DR is still cheaper to operate :p
There you go thinkin' again! To be fair the XT one is $250 or $45/1000 miles!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #12815
Daryl D
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Todays ride

Finally did my annual ride today. Left at 0830 for the upper Kings River to Balch Camp then went up to Black Rock and on up to the Wishon area.
I came back down thru Ross Crossing then to Fence Meadow and back to Pine Flat. It was just over 200 miles.
Beautiful time of year up there.
Daryl D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #12816
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl D View Post
Finally did my annual ride today. Left at 0830 for the upper Kings River to Balch Camp then went up to Black Rock and on up to the Wishon area.
I came back down thru Ross Crossing then to Fence Meadow and back to Pine Flat. It was just over 200 miles.
Beautiful time of year up there.
Hey Daryl,
How have you been? Last ride we were all wondering where you've been.
We rode that same area the week before.
Perry
Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #12817
Daryl D
Adventurer

Hi Perry

Just been playing. I got a new street bike and have been going on a few trips with my buds.
Really have not been riding the duel sport as much as I wanted to this year. My excuse is it was too frigging hot until recently.
I keep lurking on this forum and actually planned to go on a couple of rides but grandkid duty overruled.
The other issue is I have gotten somewhat better at off road riding but I still need to keep it pretty tame.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #12818
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Hello Daryl, what street bike did you get?
http://tinyurl.com/lcy2yhu
http://tinyurl.com/lhgznun
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #12819
Daryl D
Adventurer

Laugh New bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
Hello Daryl, what street bike did you get?
2013 Yamaha FJR

It replaced my 08 Yamaha FZ1
Old 10-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #12820
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Was anyone riding Thursday? I may be able to sneak away.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #12821
KimBoy
Cloud Chaser

Wink anythings possible

Riding tomorrow with coarsegoldkid. Might b able to sneak a short one in on thurs as well. Where were ya thinking?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #12822
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimBoy View Post
Riding tomorrow with coarsegoldkid. Might b able to sneak a short one in on thurs as well. Where were ya thinking?
Somewhere dirty. Dont really care at this point.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #12823
KimBoy
Cloud Chaser

How about Jose basin to start. If time permits or it leads us up towards Shaver/dinky. How about we meet at friant at the 76 station. I need to be back in town by mid afternon. Kickstands up between 9am and 10am works, you pick a time. I'm also open for other options. u
Old 10-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #12824
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOJester View Post

Oh yeah, still on the original Procycle actually has an upgraded DR stator, 50 extra watts, for only $225

Wish I could get out for a weekday ride, the weather is perfect. I'll be looking for some dirt this weekend though, not sure which day yet.....

JP
Old 10-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #12825
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimBoy View Post
How about Jose basin to start. If time permits or it leads us up towards Shaver/dinky. How about we meet at friant at the 76 station. I need to be back in town by mid afternon. Kickstands up between 9am and 10am works, you pick a time. I'm also open for other options. u
Have to sign loan docs tomorrow, dammit! Ill get another mid week day soon.