ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #12916
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Thanks guys.

When's the next ride?
Want to come do some evening/night riding this saturday ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaccassi View Post
Hopefully this weekend, after the hills get a good soaking today & tomorrow.....f%#k the dust!

Also.....any volunteers for some aerial motorcycle videos...should have my camera angle & setup figured out soon

I think it would good to use out near Raymond I have some good spots you could try! ps try some small bandaids or tape on the mic and then turn up the sensitivity if the camera can.
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 12:42 PM
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #12917
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Want to come do some evening/night riding.
I'll be over in the Kern canyon prerunning the course this weekend.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #12918
KimBoy
Cloud Chaser

Oddometer: 162
Thumb Nice Landing JP!

A few more and I think we can put you in the real deal! You would be amazed how many UAV's are in operation up there for federal and state agents. Can you land without power or is the power off glide landing too ruff?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #12919
Scrambleon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Thumb

Nice pictures Perry. Didn't realize Super Taco went all fancy and new looking.

Cool the SlowStick flies again. You have talked about doing this since I first met you. Lets do it. Sadly, I don't have any in flying condition right now. Too many interests and not enough time.

Nice rain today with snow this morning when I took the kids to school. It should be good for awhile.

Scrambleon
Scrambleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #12920
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimBoy View Post
A few more and I think we can put you in the real deal! You would be amazed how many UAV's are in operation up there for federal and state agents. Can you land without power or is the power off glide landing too ruff?

I usually land into the wind & there was enough of a breeze that I had to have just a little power on....I'm trying to think of the technical terms.....would it be that the wind speed was higher than my stall speed? I think that's it. I've taken off the ground with no power before, the wind was high enough that all I did was give her a little up elevator & she popped right up into the air a couple feet, then I floored it.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #12921
KimBoy
Cloud Chaser

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
I usually land into the wind & there was enough of a breeze that I had to have just a little power on....I'm trying to think of the technical terms.....would it be that the wind speed was higher than my stall speed? I think that's it. I've taken off the ground with no power before, the wind was high enough that all I did was give her a little up elevator & she popped right up into the air a couple feet, then I floored it.
Cool! yea lift to drag ratio for that thing is definitely towards lift side. not much needed to get her of the ground. You need just a little forward momentum to roll it on as you don't want to slam it on (gravity and drag outweigh lift and acceleration). Then you got the indicated airspeed vs ground speed when you land and take off. I've seen piper cubs take off and land in 8ft. same idea. And you don't have to worry about me asking to fly it...I've learned my lesson that I cant fly them and I'm better off to stick with the bigger ones.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #12922
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambleon View Post
Nice pictures Perry. Didn't realize Super Taco went all fancy and new looking.

Cool the SlowStick flies again. You have talked about doing this since I first met you. Lets do it. Sadly, I don't have any in flying condition right now. Too many interests and not enough time.

Nice rain today with snow this morning when I took the kids to school. It should be good for awhile.

Scrambleon
That's the brand new Super Taco in Visalia.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #12923
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Those don't look like two minute turns! But Im a helo guy so what do I know?!

PS, got a ups notification today, Irish red is on the way!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #12924
PotentialScat
aint

Oddometer: 1,159

Video streaming by Ustream

centralvalleyds
PotentialScat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #12925
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,712
No doubt that was a UFO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotentialScat View Post
Old 10-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #12926
PotentialScat
aint

Oddometer: 1,159
play them at the same time

centralvalleyds

PotentialScat screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 11:51 PM
PotentialScat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #12927
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Those don't look like two minute turns! But Im a helo guy so what do I know?!

PS, got a ups notification today, Irish red is on the way!

Old 10-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #12928
Daryl D
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
another Big Dog adventure ride

Mark Sampson, AKA "Big Dog", just put up another ride report with pictures and a few videos sprinkled in.
They go on the Colorado and Utah back country trails. CBDR and UBDR.
Anyway ck it out if interested.
He always seems to plan these great rides
www.bigdogadventures.com
Daryl D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #12929
mudpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Irish Red Ale

9D. Irish Red Ale
Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, generally caramel-like but occasionally toasty or toffee-like in nature. May have a light buttery character (although this is not required). Hop aroma is low to none (usually not present). Quite clean.
Appearance: Amber to deep reddish copper color (most examples have a deep reddish hue). Clear. Low off-white to tan colored head.
Flavor: Moderate caramel malt flavor and sweetness, occasionally with a buttered toast or toffee-like quality. Finishes with a light taste of roasted grain, which lends a characteristic dryness to the finish. Generally no flavor hops, although some examples may have a light English hop flavor. Medium-low hop bitterness, although light use of roasted grains may increase the perception of bitterness to the medium range. Medium-dry to dry finish. Clean and smooth (lager versions can be very smooth). No esters.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, although examples containing low levels of diacetyl may have a slightly slick mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Smooth. Moderately attenuated (more so than Scottish ales). May have a slight alcohol warmth in stronger versions.
Overall Impression: An easy-drinking pint. Malt-focused with an initial sweetness and a roasted dryness in the finish.
Comments: Sometimes brewed as a lager (if so, generally will not exhibit a diacetyl character). When served too cold, the roasted character and bitterness may seem more elevated.
Ingredients: May contain some adjuncts (corn, rice, or sugar), although excessive adjunct use will harm the character of the beer. Generally has a bit of roasted barley to provide reddish color and dry roasted finish. UK/Irish malts, hops, yeast.
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.044 – 1.060
IBUs: 17 – 28 FG: 1.010 – 1.014
SRM: 9 – 18 ABV: 4.0 – 6.0%

Commercial Examples: Three Floyds Brian Boru Old Irish Ale, Great Lakes Conway’s Irish Ale (a bit strong at 6.5%), Kilkenny Irish Beer, O’Hara’s Irish Red Ale, Smithwick’s Irish Ale, Beamish Red Ale, Caffrey’s Irish Ale, Goose Island Kilgubbin Red Ale, Murphy’s Irish Red (lager), Boulevard Irish Ale, Harpoon Hibernian Ale
mudpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #12930
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,522
Took the day off to play with Rob and Chip at Wilson's today while KTM was in town demo'ing their new bikes the KTM 1190 R and regular KTM 1190, both adventure bikes.

I'm trying not to get swept away by the engine alone but man is 150bhp fun. It was a great engine, smooth and power between the whole gear rpm range. From 1000rpm to about 9 or 11 where the rev limiter hit it just seemed to pull. We all don't know why the bike needs a 5th or 6th gear for freeway speeds as we were at them very quickly coming out of second and into third. I've been told that it will power wheelie in fourth above 60mph.

The clutch felt great shifting up and down, gave positive feedback even with hard engine breaking. The breaks were real good too. Ergos, seat height, bars, hand controls, foot controls all felt great.

Although we all tested the roadier version of the 1190, we all liked the R version which had a few more inches of clearance and a 21" front wheel. That's not a huge difference but for some reason we were all more comfortable on the R and felt that, despite the 21" front wheel handled better. Maybe because we're used to dirt bikes. The regular 1190 felt too much like a standard sports bike.

We were only allowed on road so we didn't really get to test any of the off road settings or usefulness/awesomeness. We all put 'em in sport mode which kept on ABS, Traction Control (which Rob took advantage of) and didn't limit power. They leaned well in the corners which made it easy to exceed some of the ... suggested posted turn speed. It had a good turning radius, handled well at low power-balancing speed as well.

I say that it's hard not to get swept away with the engine because it's dang nice, but the bike didn't feel as refined as the BMW GS. We'll put it this way: it sure had a lot of plastic. I know it's to save weight but you don't put too much plastic on an offroad bike which confirms what the rep told me inside which is that KTM is focusing more on the road bike market. Chip and I heard noise coming from the front wheel on our second ride, my second bike's speedometer didn't work (traction control, abs said fail or off but couldn't turn back on) and wouldn't change out of street mode, the ac adapter cover wouldn't stay secured and flopped around (seemed kinda cheap to me), and Rob had an issue with this windscreen. A lot of guys in Europe complained about the heat coming off the engine to the bottom of the seat but I didn't feel that it was too bad. I get the same kinda heat on my current bike. I think the padding is wearing thin or something - shrug. I don't know if I like the fly-by-wire throttle control but I could always put a stiffer pring in it to give it more feedback.

If someone were to give me either a new 13' BMW GS or a new KTM 1190 R I'd go with the GS for longer distance and comfort and perhaps reliability. Compared to my current bike, the xchallenge, the KTM is a lot more comfortable on road but BMW's refinement (GS/GSA) is just a little better. That being said that engine sure was intoxicating and I'd be willing to put the bike trough its paces if I were buying new.

Since I'll eventually be moving up to another twin again it's more than likely I won't have to be put in the above position - instead, I'll have to decide between a used GS/GSA or 990.

Fun Day!

PS. I found out in another thread that the possible issue with all the failures displaying on screen of the normal 1190 is that there are two negative wires going to the battery and one of them notoriously falls and hides itself which is completes the loop or something for the on board electronics and speedo...
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote