ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #12931
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,774
Quote:
so then it looks like this

But what if my picture looks no where as cool as this will it still work?
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #12932
montibank
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsellers View Post
Took the day off to play with Rob and Chip at Wilson's today while KTM was in town demo'ing their new bikes the KTM 1190 R and regular KTM 1190, both adventure bikes.

I'm trying not to get swept away by the engine alone but man is 150bhp fun. It was a great engine, smooth and power between the whole gear rpm range. From 1000rpm to about 9 or 11 where the rev limiter hit it just seemed to pull. We all don't know why the bike needs a 5th or 6th gear for freeway speeds as we were at them very quickly coming out of second and into third. I've been told that it will power wheelie in fourth above 60mph.

The clutch felt great shifting up and down, gave positive feedback even with hard engine breaking. The breaks were real good too. Ergos, seat height, bars, hand controls, foot controls all felt great.

Although we all tested the roadier version of the 1190, we all liked the R version which had a few more inches of clearance and a 21" front wheel. That's not a huge difference but for some reason we were all more comfortable on the R and felt that, despite the 21" front wheel handled better. Maybe because we're used to dirt bikes. The regular 1190 felt too much like a standard sports bike.

We were only allowed on road so we didn't really get to test any of the off road settings or usefulness/awesomeness. We all put 'em in sport mode which kept on ABS, Traction Control (which Rob took advantage of) and didn't limit power. They leaned well in the corners which made it easy to exceed some of the ... suggested posted turn speed. It had a good turning radius, handled well at low power-balancing speed as well.

I say that it's hard not to get swept away with the engine because it's dang nice, but the bike didn't feel as refined as the BMW GS. We'll put it this way: it sure had a lot of plastic. I know it's to save weight but you don't put too much plastic on an offroad bike which confirms what the rep told me inside which is that KTM is focusing more on the road bike market. Chip and I heard noise coming from the front wheel on our second ride, my second bike's speedometer didn't work (traction control, abs said fail or off but couldn't turn back on) and wouldn't change out of street mode, the ac adapter cover wouldn't stay secured and flopped around (seemed kinda cheap to me), and Rob had an issue with this windscreen. A lot of guys in Europe complained about the heat coming off the engine to the bottom of the seat but I didn't feel that it was too bad. I get the same kinda heat on my current bike. I think the padding is wearing thin or something - shrug. I don't know if I like the fly-by-wire throttle control but I could always put a stiffer pring in it to give it more feedback.

If someone were to give me either a new 13' BMW GS or a new KTM 1190 R I'd go with the GS for longer distance and comfort and perhaps reliability. Compared to my current bike, the xchallenge, the KTM is a lot more comfortable on road but BMW's refinement (GS/GSA) is just a little better. That being said that engine sure was intoxicating and I'd be willing to put the bike trough its paces if I were buying new.

Since I'll eventually be moving up to another twin again it's more than likely I won't have to be put in the above position - instead, I'll have to decide between a used GS/GSA or 990.

Fun Day!

PS. I found out in another thread that the possible issue with all the failures displaying on screen of the normal 1190 is that there are two negative wires going to the battery and one of them notoriously falls and hides itself which is completes the loop or something for the on board electronics and speedo...
SHIT SHIT SHIT... I forgot.

Gawd damnit
Old 10-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #12933
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
But what if my picture looks no where as cool as this will it still work?
That is a really cool pic! That LC4 Race bike has a really cool paint job too.
(note the Masters sticker on the tank)
Old 10-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #12934
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
SHIT SHIT SHIT... I forgot.

Gawd damnit
Do'h. I figured you'd show up and didn't text you. Man I feel partly to blame! I should have sent you a reminder. Sorry Monti!
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #12935
montibank
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsellers View Post
Do'h. I figured you'd show up and didn't text you. Man I feel partly to blame! I should have sent you a reminder. Sorry Monti!
no worries definitely not your fault
Old 11-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #12936
piedralone
SoilSampleCollecter

Oddometer: 167
Any one up for a short easy ride this weekend, providing my BRP wants to start. Think I got carb issues ?
piedralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #12937
redwave
sue eee! (Pig Man)

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by piedralone View Post
Any one up for a short easy ride this weekend, providing my BRP wants to start. Think I got carb issues ?

Hows 'bout 10am in North Fork if my BRP will run too?
Old 11-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #12938
redwave
sue eee! (Pig Man)

Oddometer: 448
ph # sick sven sick too for sick ate
Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #12939
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Got out for a late day ride yesterday. Beautiful weather, still dry & dusty in the lower elevations, but nice moist dirt above 4.5k on Dinkey-Trimmer Rd. Ben & I saw more vehicles on Sycamore Springs rd than I have ever seen in the area at one time....at least 5 trucks..hunting something?, not sure what.

The route: Hwy 168 to Sample Rd-Old Tollhouse to Petersen Rd. Barnes Mtn.-Nutmeg Saddle-Dinkey Trimmer-Sycamore Springs. Balch Camp to Millflat to Hwy 180 * back to Fresno

Old 11-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #12940
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
It was the last weekend of deer season in that area, so maybe that. We almost ended up at the Kings river. Millwood was too snowy/icy, so we opted to putter around Davis Flat road. Not too dusty, but no snow.

Millwood

MV
Old 11-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #12941
montibank
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
It was the last weekend of deer season in that area, so maybe that. We almost ended up at the Kings river. Millwood was too snowy/icy, so we opted to putter around Davis Flat road. Not too dusty, but no snow.

Millwood

MV
Hah... It was me out there with my daughter saturday. Nice meeting you and your family. Conditions werent too bad. The ice was deceptively not treacherous I never hit the dirt and the munchkin did outstanding. The most snow/ice we saw was right in the staging are. The rest was pretty clear.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #12942
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
Well, that might explain why I kept having a nagging feeling that I'd seen you somewhere before.

Glad to hear your day went well, I wasn't sure what we'd find in that area, and didn't want to unload, have the girls suit up, only to travel 400 yards and meet a patch of ice that would stop them. And I certainly didn't want to deal with any ice on the DR either. So we went over to the Davis Flat road, they went down it a couple miles and returned while I fussed with the trailer and Xterra, then we all went down it a few more miles. Then we returned to eat a late lunch.

Then the cameras and phones came out. 15yr old girls can sure take a lot of pictures. You know, when we were shopping for her helmet, after a few hours, I kinda got the feeling she said she wanted the standard 3/4 helmet just so she could be done with the shopping and start the riding. Now I know otherwise. An open faced helemt is a must if you're going to be showing off your best "duck-face" poses on a bike. But the main point of this trip was for her to have fun, which she did. And we got to spend some time working together on a photo project, the results of which I'll post here when available.

Now to figure out where to go next. Niece likes to go fast. Track in the field at my folks house, not good enough. No room. All the dirt farm roads I grew up riding, no good. Recent city folk overseers fencing off a large block right in the middle, really restricting access. I feel like if I have to load the bike into a trailer, we're gonna go farther than a buddy's orchard. Desert? Hollister? Hungry Valley? She's not too keen on gravel (Millwood area wipe out over the summer has her a little gun shy), so somewhere with nice dirt would be great, but my schedule, Shesaid's schedule, my father's trailer schedule, niece's schedule, my brother in law's schedule, my brother in law's ex-wife's schedule... Planning is a bitch.

But hey, last weekend was good. Maybe we'll have to meet up there again sometime. My brother in law, with the 15yr old and 6yr old daughters is keeping an eye out for a quad, maybe if he saw your little one riding it'd help him look a little harder...

MV
Old 11-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #12943
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,407
[QUOTE=JPaccassi;22704231]Got out for a late day ride yesterday. Beautiful weather, still dry & dusty in the lower elevations, but nice moist dirt above 4.5k on Dinkey-Trimmer Rd. Ben & I saw more vehicles on Sycamore Springs rd than I have ever seen in the area at one time....at least 5 trucks..hunting something?, not sure what.

Nice pics Justin! what camera are you using, I like the image / color quality.
+ your talent as a photographer.
I only use my IPhone 5.

pcvance screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 08:37 PM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #12944
KimBoy
Cloud Chaser

Oddometer: 162
Looks like fun Justin. Taking bike out this Saturday coming up. Not sure where as long as there is dirt.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #12945
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
[QUOTE=pcvance;22708038]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaccassi View Post
Got out for a late day ride yesterday. Beautiful weather, still dry & dusty in the lower elevations, but nice moist dirt above 4.5k on Dinkey-Trimmer Rd. Ben & I saw more vehicles on Sycamore Springs rd than I have ever seen in the area at one time....at least 5 trucks..hunting something?, not sure what.

Nice pics Justin! what camera are you using, I like the image / color quality.
+ your talent as a photographer.
I only use my IPhone 5.
I'll let you in on a little secret.....I'm a cheater I post process all my images in Photoshop. The content of the image is all me, but the colors are a combo of adjustments. A little gamma correction, +30 on the vibrance & about +10 on the saturation & Ta da!