ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #13051
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by piedralone View Post
Cool vid Ben. Still heading to the desert with the other Justin, still not sure where close as I figure NO Jawbone/ Dove by about 15 - 20 Mi. on Trona Rd. once I get the area some what will try to post up. I am thinking, none of my favorite water based substance / no boulders the size of VWs
I suspect a Drunk post!
I dont understand a word of this....
Old 11-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #13052
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by piedralone View Post
Cool vid Ben. Still heading to the desert with the other Justin, still not sure where close as I figure NO Jawbone/ Dove by about 15 - 20 Mi. on Trona Rd. once I get the area some what will try to post up. I am thinking, none of my favorite water based substance / no boulders the size of VWs
Have fun Martin, I'll get over to the desert sooner or later, just can't get there this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
I suspect a Drunk post!
I dont understand a word of this....
Let me attempt to translate......Ben's video is cool. Martin is still heading to the desert with the other Justin from his work. He is still not sure where they are going to be camped/riding/motelin' it this weekend. They will not be staying in Jawbone or Dove Springs, but maybe 15 to 20 miles away somewhere off of Trona rd. & he will try & post up on Adv when he gets there. He's also thinking that there will be no snow cuz it's not nice to him...and rock gardens are mean

I am actually at work today and am already completely bored out of my mind

Anyone want to try & get to Star Lakes this Sunday? Should be lots of rocks & snow....and I know where it is now....

JPaccassi screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 09:31 AM
JPaccassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #13053
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaccassi View Post
Have fun Martin, I'll get over to the desert sooner or later, just can't get there this weekend.

Let me attempt to translate......Ben's video is cool. Martin is still heading to the desert with the other Justin from his work. He is still not sure where they are going to be camped/riding/motelin' it this weekend. They will not be staying in Jawbone or Dove Springs, but maybe 15 to 20 miles away somewhere off of Trona rd. & he will try & post up on Adv when he gets there. He's also thinking that there will be no snow cuz it's not nice to him...and rock gardens are mean

I am actually at work today and am already completely bored out of my mind

Anyone want to try & get to Star Lakes this Sunday? Should be lots of rocks & snow....and I know where it is now....

Thanks!

Ill be at Jawbone Friday thru Sunday. Staying at Cal city motel.

Will have the 520 also a VERY red 4 door Jeep.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #13054
KimBoy
Cloud Chaser

Oddometer: 150
star what?!

I'm sure you will find star this time. working Sunday. Boo however black Friday is open. Soo...I may sneek off and find them before you Justin. Call it a race? Then again turkey n drinks the day before may slow me down.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #13055
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Hey guys I heard this from a local rider. "Madera Honda Suzuki they're having a blowout I mean blow out black Friday and Saturday sale !!!!!!all motorcycles 200 cc or above are at dealer cost!" Yep that's how he put.
http://tinyurl.com/lcy2yhu
http://tinyurl.com/lhgznun
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #13056
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimBoy View Post
I'm sure you will find star this time. working Sunday. Boo however black Friday is open. Soo...I may sneek off and find them before you Justin. Call it a race? Then again turkey n drinks the day before may slow me down.

I think you might have an unfair advantage leaving 2 days earlier than me to get to something that is only 2 hours away......but then again if you can't find it or there is too much snow on the ground for you to make it & get a pic of the lakes (requirement for winning) then I still may have a shot

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving
Old 11-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #13057
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaccassi View Post
I think I can make it into the hills.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #13058
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Justin, I'm on for tomorrow. I live in Coarsegold. Where and at what time do you want to meet?

coarsegoldkid screwed with this post 11-30-2013 at 03:44 PM
Old 11-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #13059
KimBoy
Cloud Chaser

Oddometer: 150
Never made the ride to star. Too much food and too many ambition killers from the night before. One of these days. And yes. Who ever makes it to star needs pic of themselves or their bike on location. And no photo shop...I know you are crafty with effects Jp. Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #13060
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
Justin, I'm on for tomorrow. I live in Coarsegold. Where and at what time do you want to meet?
Sorry, I forgot to check the thread yesterday. I still plan on riding, but I'm unsure as to when..Thinking I may be on the road around 10-11ish heading for North Fork for a fuel stop then up to Beasore rd, etc. I wont be able to check the thread once I'm out the door, so if I dont see anything here maybe I'll see you in the hills.

JP
Old 12-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #13061
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,708
Weeelp. It officially the month of broke year 2013. No riding for me through January.

Put a steering pump in the truck yesterday and noticed my rear tire on the 950 is approaching dangerously bald status. I was thinking all them Heidenau K60 Scout die hards were clearly delusional I realized I did put 7k miles on it... And the front hardly wore. Aaand I did git the offroadyer version ... so I ordered a streetier version the 140/70-18s we'll see how it goes. I need it to git me 9000 miles and to Texas and back in May. Gonna have to git my current one a little closer to the cords :p.

montibank screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 01:30 PM
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #13062
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
Weeelp. It officially the month of broke year 2013. No riding for me through January.

Put a steering pump in the truck yesterday and noticed my rear tire on the 950 is approaching dangerously bald status. I was thinking all them Heidenau K60 Scout die hards were clearly delusional I realized I did put 7k miles on it... And the front hardly wore. Aaand I did git the offroadyer version ... so I ordered a streetier version the 140/70-18s we'll see how it goes. I need it to git me 9000 miles and to Texas and back in May. Gonna have to git my current one a little closer to the cords :p.

What sort of riding was it on the K60? I'm tire shopping myself for my DR650, and the K60 has come up more than once. We don't do any hardcore offroad, more "Adventure Touring", unpaved roads and the like. And we ride wherever we go, so street performance and longevity are important. I've been leaning towards some other options, as we're just getting started, and don't know what sort of riding we might be doing a year from now. Since the K60's cost 2-3 times what a Shinko 700 costs, I'd kinda want to know that it will last 2-3 time as long, y'know?

MV
Old 12-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #13063
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Back from the desert, no injuries for me () or the kiddos I took, no broken bikes and good attitudes all around. Had many first time riders tearing it up on the 125's. My daughter is now hooked and I need to off her DRZ 125 for something a bit bigger.

We stayed North of Dove springs as jawbone was completely packed. Very happy we went North, camp site was perfect with a track the little ones could burn gas on while the adults could watch with cold ones in hand
Place was busy but I never felt it was unsafe.

I see a toy hauler in my near future, never been there and we all had a blast, even the non riding soccer moms.

I only have a handful of pics that I will ad as soon as I find them.

Never ran into Martin... I was looking too.

Ready to go back
Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #13064
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Tried to find Star Lakes yesterday.....no dice...too much snow & ice.Ben & probably only made it 3-4 miles after we hit the dirt off Beasore rd. Ben went down on the ice on the rd...slow get off, no injuries, but he couldnt even stand up & had to crawl off the rd dragging his bike behind him I was still good at this point & dragged him up to where we turned around after I finally lost control & crashed into the snow bank, then fell off the bike onto my back Good times.

After we made our way back down we took central camp rd from the top down & turned off towards the beaver ponds, then down the last 2 segments of the 007. Beautiful weather, couldn't have asked for a nicer Dec 1st on the dirt

JP

JPaccassi screwed with this post 12-02-2013 at 09:52 AM Reason: Add Videos
JPaccassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #13065
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
What sort of riding was it on the K60? I'm tire shopping myself for my DR650, and the K60 has come up more than once. We don't do any hardcore offroad, more "Adventure Touring", unpaved roads and the like. And we ride wherever we go, so street performance and longevity are important. I've been leaning towards some other options, as we're just getting started, and don't know what sort of riding we might be doing a year from now. Since the K60's cost 2-3 times what a Shinko 700 costs, I'd kinda want to know that it will last 2-3 time as long, y'know?

MV
Mounted on a ktm 950 2004.

Sample riding (all done on this same set of tires):
To and from work 5 days a week 20 mile commute two... maybe three months
Two trips two up with my wife weekend camping trips ~ 500 miles ea
One trip to mammoth/bishop in the powdery ash and obsidian babyheads (definately wore tires)
Pushing out in whisky falls on rocky and fire road terrian once (fun! Hillclimbs not so good)
A few trips out with sport bikes in the twisties
A few day trips to visit family in lemoore from fresno

I am heavy handed on accelleration from a dead stop likely the reason the rear tire wore so fast.

On the 950 adventure... the knobbies I had didnt get poo for grip off road. Hardly a noticable difference when I swapped to the K60. I believe this is largely due to the weight of the bike though. For a DR... you would notice offroad more I imagine.

You should be able to get 8000 miles on a rear with a stock DR doing 80% road 20% offroad (fireroads) you will not be winning any hill climb competitions.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote