ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #13111
pcvance
Walk Verplank
 
pcvance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Sequoia Country
Oddometer: 5,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
640 Adventure R
Or
DR 650
Edit: or an older husky like N8's above

Remember... ya got a dirtbike with a plate already my 2 cents.

A KTM will be more work ... My DR was damn near flawless (few little bugs mostly mistakes I made) for the 8k miles I owned it. But think about miles per year you plan to operate it. One trip from home up into the hills is ~250 miles. If you rode it once a month 12 months out of the year... That is one oil change a year on either and maybe one front tire and a rear and a half. Hah at that rate of use a little less reliability is likely a moot point.

If you were riding it to work daily I would say DR hands down. But for what it sounds like you plan to do with it... LC4 would be the ticket.

I want to own one o them LC4 Adventure R's one day. If I owned one it'd likely be what I would ride to death valley on in January if I wasnt able to talk Caren into going.

On that topic she doesn't seem really keen on camping out in death valley with me. Crap. This'd be the trip I would want to haul her out for. Overnight temps though has her leaning towards "no way in hell".
If I'm gonna own a dirt bike that weighs close to 400 pounds it will need to have a lot more horsepower than a DR... A 950 SE 400 pounds/100 HP, more better. my 2c. Dave, go get that 625SXC. Or you could buy my 640E so I can buy an SE.
If your main concern is reliability and mantainence get a DR.
But if you want performance, get the KTM.
__________________
KTM 640-E / KTM 525 EXC CENTRAL VALLEY DUAL SPORT RIDES / RIDERS Sequoia-So Cal / STEWARDS OF THE SEQUOIA / STEWARDS OF THE SIERRA NATIONAL FOREST

pcvance screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 06:16 PM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #13112
FiveOJester
Monti's Nemesis
 
FiveOJester's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Fresno, CA
Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post

625

Lighter, more powerful, better suspension...
Perry, are there any years to watch out for? I'm not planning on looking older than 2000 or so. That seems to be about when KTM really got their sh$t in order, at least on the EXCs.

Also, any other things to look for that should have been replaced?
__________________
Dave
'04 Orange Machine
FiveOJester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #13113
FiveOJester
Monti's Nemesis
 
FiveOJester's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Fresno, CA
Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
640 Adventure R
Or
DR 650
Edit: or an older husky like N8's above

Remember... ya got a dirtbike with a plate already my 2 cents.

A KTM will be more work ... My DR was damn near flawless (few little bugs mostly mistakes I made) for the 8k miles I owned it. But think about miles per year you plan to operate it. One trip from home up into the hills is ~250 miles. If you rode it once a month 12 months out of the year... That is one oil change a year on either and maybe one front tire and a rear and a half. Hah at that rate of use a little less reliability is likely a moot point.

If you were riding it to work daily I would say DR hands down. But for what it sounds like you plan to do with it... LC4 would be the ticket.

I want to own one o them LC4 Adventure R's one day. If I owned one it'd likely be what I would ride to death valley on in January if I wasnt able to talk Caren into going.

On that topic she doesn't seem really keen on camping out in death valley with me. Crap. This'd be the trip I would want to haul her out for. Overnight temps though has her leaning towards "no way in hell".
Ya, I need to think about how I'm actually going to use it. Realistically 1-ride per month. Figure half the rides are dirt where I'll take the EXC. So the new bike would get ridden 6-times a year plus small farting's around Fresno. Hmmm...maybe I should just suck it up, buy a bigger gas tank and D606s for my 400 and ride that for dual-sports and keep the money from the XT.

I've gotten so used to having 2-bikes that I just assumed I would always need 2. It is nice to have a backup when one bike decides to breakdown the day before a big ride. The XT has saved me on more than one occasion!
__________________
Dave
'04 Orange Machine
FiveOJester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #13114
pcvance
Walk Verplank
 
pcvance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Sequoia Country
Oddometer: 5,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOJester View Post
Ya, I need to think about how I'm actually going to use it. Realistically 1-ride per month. Figure half the rides are dirt where I'll take the EXC. So the new bike would get ridden 6-times a year plus small farting's around Fresno. Hmmm...maybe I should just suck it up, buy a bigger gas tank and D606s for my 400 and ride that for dual-sports and keep the money from the XT.

I've gotten so used to having 2-bikes that I just assumed I would always need 2. It is nice to have a backup when one bike decides to breakdown the day before a big ride. The XT has saved me on more than one occasion!
Six rides a year? Mantainence is not even an issue. If you decide on an LC4, you are right, go with 2000 model and up. The SXC was only imported for 2003 & 2004. The only difference is the 04 has the FCR pumper carb vs the BST40 Mikuni in 03. There are a lot of low mile LC4s to choose from. Good luck.
__________________
KTM 640-E / KTM 525 EXC CENTRAL VALLEY DUAL SPORT RIDES / RIDERS Sequoia-So Cal / STEWARDS OF THE SEQUOIA / STEWARDS OF THE SIERRA NATIONAL FOREST
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #13115
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer
 
JPaccassi's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Clovis, CA
Oddometer: 1,619
Coastal Mountain ride 12-13

Had a blast yesterday! Lot's of great trails, I've only been there once before so I had trouble finding all the good stuff I rode with PCvance & Slowtherthanu at the beginning of the year. Still found plenty-0-dirt just need to keep exploring




































__________________
"Be true to yourself and you will never fall" ~Beastie Boys

JPaccassi screwed with this post 12-16-2013 at 11:05 AM Reason: Add videos
JPaccassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #13116
GreeNug
210x2
 
GreeNug's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Sanger, CA
Oddometer: 202
Damn Justin, I haven't even taken the memory card out of my gopro yet and you've already uploaded some, Ha.

Good times yesterday, thanks much!
GreeNug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #13117
montibank
Happy
 
montibank's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fresno, Ca
Oddometer: 2,779
Damn wish I coulda gone looks awesome. Great pix thanks for sharing.

Sooo dead battery this morning... been nursing it along basically since I got it. Done now...

Ordered a shoari to make me feel better about it. :p
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #13118
montibank
Happy
 
montibank's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fresno, Ca
Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOJester View Post
Ya, I need to think about how I'm actually going to use it. Realistically 1-ride per month. Figure half the rides are dirt where I'll take the EXC. So the new bike would get ridden 6-times a year plus small farting's around Fresno. Hmmm...maybe I should just suck it up, buy a bigger gas tank and D606s for my 400 and ride that for dual-sports and keep the money from the XT.

I've gotten so used to having 2-bikes that I just assumed I would always need 2. It is nice to have a backup when one bike decides to breakdown the day before a big ride. The XT has saved me on more than one occasion!
Make up yer mind ... hahah.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #13119
theredrocket23
Gnarly Adventurer
 
theredrocket23's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Clovis, california
Oddometer: 197
Death Valley Day's.

Is there any news on this weekend, I am wanting to go with you all but am wondering about the details. I went to Hollister last weekend with some guys and had fun, there is actually some good single track in the back of the place, crowd was light too.

Anyway let me know if there are emerging plans , camp site and what have you.

Greg.
theredrocket23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #13120
montibank
Happy
 
montibank's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fresno, Ca
Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredrocket23 View Post
Is there any news on this weekend, I am wanting to go with you all but am wondering about the details. I went to Hollister last weekend with some guys and had fun, there is actually some good single track in the back of the place, crowd was light too.

Anyway let me know if there are emerging plans , camp site and what have you.

Greg.
I think walk in camping (sucks) is all that is left unless someone with reservations in non-walk in section is willing to spare some room.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #13121
KimBoy
Cloud Chaser
 
KimBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Chicagoland
Oddometer: 162
Cool2 Dv daze

Im in! Plan on riding down. Trying to see what everyones plans are? Anyone got room on site for me and a tent or does anyone want to share a site? Gotta take the DMV bike test tomorrow. Been on permit last 6mos...knew I should have transferred the bike license over...then again I didn't study back then for it.
__________________
When in doubt, Air it out!
KimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #13122
montibank
Happy
 
montibank's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fresno, Ca
Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimBoy View Post
Im in! Plan on riding down. Trying to see what everyones plans are? Anyone got room on site for me and a tent or does anyone want to share a site? Gotta take the DMV bike test tomorrow. Been on permit last 6mos...knew I should have transferred the bike license over...then again I didn't study back then for it.
Good luck on the test. I think I am gonna reserve a walk in site and beg to park/lock my bike to something if there isnt anything heavy duty enough to lock it to in the parking lot.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #13123
McKay
Studly Adventurer
 
McKay's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Clovis, Ca.
Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
Good luck on the test. I think I am gonna reserve a walk in site and beg to park/lock my bike to something if there isnt anything heavy duty enough to lock it to in the parking lot.
WHat did I miss? Where are you all going?
__________________
Jeff
McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #13124
KimBoy
Cloud Chaser
 
KimBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Chicagoland
Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
Good luck on the test. I think I am gonna reserve a walk in site and beg to park/lock my bike to something if there isnt anything heavy duty enough to lock it to in the parking lot.
You can lock the 950 to my dr, but that defeats the purpose of locking it to something heavier. However I now have something heavier and more attractive next to my dr if they were locked together.
You still have those soft bags monti? I'm trying to figure out how to pack all my gear. Not sure what route I want to take.
__________________
When in doubt, Air it out!
KimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #13125
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer
 
JPaccassi's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Clovis, CA
Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredrocket23 View Post
Is there any news on this weekend, I am wanting to go with you all but am wondering about the details. I went to Hollister last weekend with some guys and had fun, there is actually some good single track in the back of the place, crowd was light too.

Anyway let me know if there are emerging plans , camp site and what have you.

Greg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
I think walk in camping (sucks) is all that is left unless someone with reservations in non-walk in section is willing to spare some room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimBoy View Post
Im in! Plan on riding down. Trying to see what everyones plans are? Anyone got room on site for me and a tent or does anyone want to share a site? Gotta take the DMV bike test tomorrow. Been on permit last 6mos...knew I should have transferred the bike license over...then again I didn't study back then for it.

Plans are starting to come together I went on recreation.gov to check the furnace creek campground again & it appears that someone dropped site 101 for that weekend so I scooped it up for 3 nights Jan 31st thru Feb 3rd.

Let's get a list going so we can coordinate our attack

So who wants to ride there & back from Fresno? I'm in for that if anyone else is.

Anyone planning to truck their bike all the way to DV? Haul gear for anyone riding in?

I have 1 site which has an 8 person 2 vehicle max (they allow more bikes than cars I think) if that's not enough maybe someone can reserve a walk in site just to have the extra tent spots if we have too many people.


Time to start prepping my bike, I'm way behind on all around general maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay
WHat did I miss? Where are you all going?
DV DAZE 14 @ Furnace creek campground

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939287

Got a truck & want to haul some gear for the rest of us?
__________________
"Be true to yourself and you will never fall" ~Beastie Boys

JPaccassi screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 10:17 AM
JPaccassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014