ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #13471
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Thank you kindly. We did THIS on Saturday, and it looks like your ride would be a great way to make a loop out of it all. And to be honest, the rest of this post was supposed to show just that. But I can't get a Google map to embed the way JPaccassi can... So... Um, can you post the how-to for that part too?

MV
When on google maps, there is a "chain link" icon in the top right of the left pane that tells you the distances between points, etc. Click on the chain link & there is embed code to copy & paste directly into your post. You can also customize the settings, which is in blue text right under the embed code which will set your map size, etc.

JP
Old 02-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #13472
itnanti
aka "cautious cotta"

Oddometer: 311
Anybody from the Central Valley going to the Death Valley Noob Rally?

itnanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #13473
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaccassi View Post
When on google maps, there is a "chain link" icon in the top right of the left pane that tells you the distances between points, etc. Click on the chain link & there is embed code to copy & paste directly into your post. You can also customize the settings, which is in blue text right under the embed code which will set your map size, etc.

JP
Ok, I'll try again, as that's what I was doing, but it wasn't working.

I was working on a map combining our Sat ride with your Sunday ride:

https://www.google.com/maps?f=d&sour..."></iframe><br />https://www.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...2,0.179558&t=m" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map

MV
Old 02-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #13474
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

And... That's about what I kept getting. I'll work on it, but here's a link for those curious in the meanwhile:

MAP

For those that rode the Sunday portion, what did the camping opportunities look like in the forest?

MV
Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #13475
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by itnanti View Post
Anybody from the Central Valley going to the Death Valley Noob Rally?
I'm not going but if you do you'll have a good time.
http://tinyurl.com/lcy2yhu
http://tinyurl.com/lhgznun
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #13476
itnanti
aka "cautious cotta"

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
I'm not going but if you do you'll have a good time.

I went last year and I will be going this year. I keep an eye on this forum since I'm originally from Visalia. Was checking if I could put some faces to the user names at the rally. I'm going to make an effort this summer to come home and join one of the rides on here.

itnanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #13477
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

I had trouble with this too, but finally got it to work after I cleaned up all the way points ( too many) & used IE instead of Firefox

View Larger Map
Old 02-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #13478
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I had trouble with this too, but finally got it to work after I cleaned up all the way points ( too many) & used IE instead of Firefox

View Larger Map
Yeah, I was thinking that too many points was making the URL too long. Every time I tried to make the map without all the points, Google kept trying to send me a shorter, more direct way. That thing needs a "by motorcycle" option. Sometimes I know that once you have the endpoint established it will let you edit the route and keep your edits easier. But if you keep "adding a destination" it keeps recalculating. I keep messing with it, but then I run out of patience or time (or both).

Looks like you got it though. Looks like a good overnight trip to us, so how were the camping opportunities on your leg of the loop? This time of year low elevation, down by the river is quite doable. Of course, now these storms will come through and mess it all up, but still, it's good to have the rain.

MV
Old 02-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #13479
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that too many points was making the URL too long. Every time I tried to make the map without all the points, Google kept trying to send me a shorter, more direct way. That thing needs a "by motorcycle" option. Sometimes I know that once you have the endpoint established it will let you edit the route and keep your edits easier. But if you keep "adding a destination" it keeps recalculating. I keep messing with it, but then I run out of patience or time (or both).

Looks like you got it though. Looks like a good overnight trip to us, so how were the camping opportunities on your leg of the loop? This time of year low elevation, down by the river is quite doable. Of course, now these storms will come through and mess it all up, but still, it's good to have the rain.

MV

Bretz Mill CG is open all year round (forest) near Peterson & Soaproot Saddle, and all of the ones on the Kings river. I've never camped on the river, but then again I like the more secluded areas when camping...the river is too accessible to the city folk
Old 02-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #13480
KimBoy
Cloud Chaser

Oddometer: 150
rain n snow

Went up to kings canyon today. Little snow falling above 7000ft, rain down to 3000ft. Need the temps to drop more as nothing was sticking.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #13481
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Bretz Mill CG is open all year round (forest) near Peterson & Soaproot Saddle, and all of the ones on the Kings river. I've never camped on the river, but then again I like the more secluded areas when camping...the river is too accessible to the city folk
Yeah, we tend towards more remote typically, almost never an actual campground unless we're meeting someone who isn't familiar enough with the area to understand directions. You know:

"We'll be camped at that one site, the one we were at two years ago with all the scorpions..."

"No, the one with the three trees next to the big rock..."

"No, you're thinking of the one by the creek. We're talking about the one that's really flat..."

"Yeah, there's a creek too, but it's flat, not like the other one with the creek."

Some people just have no sense of direction. But either way, this time of year the city people don't venture out too much, so almost anyplace can be good. Either somewhere on your side of the Kings, or on ours, part way up 12S01. Now we just have to get all our schedules worked out and get the weather to cooperate. Maybe the Ides of March...

MV
Old 02-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #13482
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,103
ross's crossing is a good camp spot
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #13483
theredrocket23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
theredrocket23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #13484
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredrocket23 View Post
been one of those days
http://tinyurl.com/lcy2yhu
http://tinyurl.com/lhgznun
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #13485
theredrocket23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Yes it has been one of those day's. Ugg…. Was in Merced dealing with a registration ticket for my Crane, and parking enforcement gave me a ticket for no front plate on my car. Totals the 4th B.S. ticket this year.

Any way I was just trying to load some photos on our forum.

theredrocket23 screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 08:28 PM
theredrocket23 is offline   Reply With Quote