ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #14236
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,735
Dave just texted .... they are on their way out.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #14237
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,224
hope we get some photos and stories tonight
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #14238
Luuth
Riding

Oddometer: 12
That trail sounds like it has some bad ju ju.
Luuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #14239
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,889
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
That trail sounds like it has some bad ju ju.
Nah, just noobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #14240
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,943
The verplankers

We made it out... Partial Success, full story at 11:00.

Did I mention that trail sucks?

pcvance screwed with this post 05-24-2014 at 10:19 PM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #14241
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,224
the land of the lost

Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:07 AM   #14242
FiveOJester
Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer: 209
Wow, what a day on Verplank! I'm sore, mosquito bitten, bruised, etc. But No poison oak!

I'll leave the full report to those with good pictures. Semi successful day in that everyone got back to the trucks without dying of heat stroke!

Great crew that worked together and made the most of the situation. Glad I could be a part of it!

By some strange chance Bear Mountain Pizza was still open at 10pm when we rolled in so we were able to get some good grub on our way down! Thanks again for treating everyone Chip!

EDIT: Signature update below...

FiveOJester screwed with this post 05-25-2014 at 09:19 AM
FiveOJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #14243
montibank
Happy

Old 05-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #14244
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,505
I kinda like the idea of someone getting stuck in Verplank once every 3 weeks. I can't think of a better way to get an all around workout. Wes hould have Jennifer Alcorn's crew volunteer. I think they'd get better results.

Thumbs, hands, forearms, legs, back neck, calves, sore. Energy level: 12% Mosquito bikes: check. I'm immune to poison oak (part Indian?) but I'm not gonna rub my balls in it to prove a point.

Exhausted and hiking back up to the trucks, dead last, I puked. That's the sign of a great workout btw!

Looking forward to the next round.

Nice to finally meet Perry and Dave and just like Monday's around the water cooler, Chip it's always an adventure! I need to thank you for that along with the Pizza and Beer sans Steak.
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #14245
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,943
Eh? Verplank again...Really?

It was an up hill battle pulling two bikes up a very steep, brushy "trail", but first we had to clear a path through a poison oak infested forest on Verplank ridge...
After two and a half hours on foot sawing and pruning our way, we finally reach the bikes. There were six of us with saws, lopers, a hoe and shovel working the trail that would hopefully unable us to extract the bikes.
Once we reached the bikes, we came up with a plan to get them out.
The recovery gear was a snatch block, carabiners, straps, a sling and 100 feet of strong rope. With the snatch block anchored to a sturdy tree and the rope attached to one of the bikes we are ready to go. Two men on the bike and three men on the belay end of the rope we started pulling. This process worked well and we continued moving each bike up hill 30-50 feet then rerigging the snatch block further up hill for the next pull...

The extraction crew at the trailhead @ 0900.

Getting the bikes and tools ready...

Chip and Ben, clearing the way out...

Did I mention that this place is brushy?

The poison oak jungle

the Verplank "trail boss"

we finally arrive at the bikes after noon. With the clearing and trail work done, the extraction begins...

Justin getting Chips bike ready to lift out. We were wishing we had a helicopter right about now.

The DR is next.

The rigging set-up right in the middle of the poison oak patch...

The line to the bike. This system worked best when we had two guys on the bike and three on the rope, we were pulling the bikes up a 2-1 slope a lot of the time...

The pics don't show how steep this shit is.

Justin with the harness rigging.

We rode the bikes in the few places we could.

Deep in the Kings Canyon, somewhere on Verplank Ridge...The Kings Canyon is the deepest canyon in North America, just a few miles upstream from here, it's over 10000' from the ridge to the river...

Check out Dave's back from his get off.

Did I mention that this place is FULL of poison oak?

THE "rig"

The first mile of the trail is fun! Then it gets exciting real fast.

Three of us rode in on three bikes and three of us walked Verplank...we all walked the plank past this point.

THE END! Dave says FUCK VERPLANK!

Pizza and beer on the way home. Thanks Chip!

pcvance screwed with this post 05-27-2014 at 01:52 PM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #14246
montibank
Happy

Sounds like you all had fun, wish I could have participated.

Ya ... hiking up that hill @ altitude with aclimitization is awesome. Walk 100 feet stop for 2 min, walk 100 feet stop for 2 min... good times.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #14247
PotentialScat
aint

Oddometer: 1,153
here's my report...

fuck that fucking trail. I'll go back one more time because Chip and Justin are my friends. Then I will never see that god forsaken hellhole of a pseudo trail again.

Dave, Perry, Layne, you guys are men. I'd suggest not looking at any women lest you impregnate them with your gaze. Thanks so much for the help. It was grueling and you guys worked your ass off.

In case anyone hasn't figured it out... fuck derplunk. Do not do it! There is no glory there just pain.

centralvalleyds
PotentialScat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #14248
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotentialScat View Post
here's my report...

fuck that fucking trail. I'll go back one more time because Chip and Justin are my friends. Then I will never see that god forsaken hellhole of a pseudo trail again.

Dave, Perry, Layne, you guys are men. I'd suggest not looking at any women lest you impregnate them with your gaze. Thanks so much for the help. It was grueling and you guys worked your ass off.

In case anyone hasn't figured it out... fuck derplunk. Do not do it! There is no glory there just pain.

Where's the video? I want to see us doing the crazy rope/pulley system shennanigans

I read back a few posts & noticed no one mentioned that we still didn't get the bikes back Just FYI...almost though

So who's up for next weekend 1 more day & they should be out...what a pain
Old 05-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #14249
KimBoy
Cloud Chaser

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaccassi View Post
Where's the video? I want to see us doing the crazy rope/pulley system shennanigans

I read back a few posts & noticed no one mentioned that we still didn't get the bikes back Just FYI...almost though

So who's up for next weekend 1 more day & they should be out...what a pain
Despite all the warnings....im in for next week
Old 05-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #14250
CaliforniaPants
asks many questions

Oddometer: 17
well I had fun today...

Went to the whiskey falls area today, stayed on the snowmobile trails because its my first time out on the dirt and didnt feel like dropping it with nobody around. (and couldnt figure out the map...)

It was amazing! I had so much fun and passed by a few people on KTMs, I considered asking about the trails around there, but im glad i stayed on the snowmobile trails. I almost lost it once and immediately realized I probably needed more gear than a street jacket, jeans, work boots and a dual sport helmet. I cant wait to go back again.
CaliforniaPants is offline   Reply With Quote